Lightbulb What hosting are you looking for?

I'm just wondering how people choose a hosting.... What is important for you? Please, share your opinions!

There are many things when choosing a host.. First, you need to choose which platform you would like to be hosted on (Linux, Windows). Then you need to look at the extensions you need (PHP, MySQL etc.) and see if the host supports it. After looking on the companies sites, I would run a background check, and look for current and past reviews of the company to see if it has the stability that you are looking for. The #1 thing I look in a host for is their support team, and if the company is willing to go the extra mile to keep you satisfied. Then I would look at the uptime reports (if the company supplies any). Also, ask for a trail account and see if you like how the company runs itself, both on the billing side, technical side, and the control panel side. See if the company gives you extra benefits such as Fantastico, RVSkin, and SiteBuilders. These are just a few things I would look at when choosing which hosting provider I would trust my site with
    Last edited by f9-Will; 06-21-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

What hosting are you looking for?
    In few words, hosting that I can trust.

You want to research this topic there is alot of threads about it basically you would look for price,Quality and Support well i would anyway.
    Regards

What i would like to see in hosting is realibiliy, fast support and it should be 24/7 live, a good price, and some nice packages.

24/7 live
    You have to pay the price if its genuine
    Regards

Originally posted by ldcdc
    In few words, hosting that I can trust.
    Couldn't have said it better along with the previous comment about "if the company is willing to go the extra mile to keep you satisfied."
    Of course the other stuff is almost obvious, if you use FrontPage they need to support it, or if you want video, or if you need php or Perl etc.
    These days there are few things the average user would need that most hosts don't offer, but extras like Fantastico, webmail, uptime guarantees, etc. are surely nice to have.
    You needs will be more specific if you are running specialized sites like e-commerce, adult content, or whatever. Then you just need to e-mail the host that you are thinking about to make sure they have what you need.
    Support is a relative thing. The level you need, only you know. The ads are true, we installed video demos for all our common stuff like control panel functions and using our site builder and support calls dropped dramatically, probably the 90% they advertise.
    But there is always a need for support to be available. I have a client with one of the coolest web sites I host...never submitted one ticket I know of, he knows what he's doing. Many other clients we've had to hand-hold on the phone while they got their e-mail working with Outlook or such relatively simple things. Only you know where you fall in that range from low-to high and that will make a difference if you need 24/7 or 18/7 telephone or support tickets answered within 10 minutes or if 2 hours is OK.
    The same is true of uptime. If it's just your personal family "play" site a cheap host with somewhat spotty service may do.
    If it's commercial and affects your business you want to be sure they have great & preferably guaranteed uptime since your business is counting on it.
    And as EVERYBODY always says, avoid the "too good to be true" $1 a month plans or $3 for 1GB storage and 20GB transfer type deals...unless it's really a site you're not worried about...and NEVER pay for more than a month to start. Give yourself some time before signing on for 12 months and being another one of those "I paid for 12 months now my host is gone" type threads.
    Good luck & happy hunting...
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Reliability

choose on reviews , their plans and how friendly is their customer support.