What is the best hosted forum or message board?

I would like to know what you folks think are the best message boards... paid or free. I see alot of the PhPbb and use one myself, but would like to change to something else if there is something better out there.

Honestly I believe vBulletins are the best, with features and power, however it's expensive. PhpBB, on the other side, is really a community , and is free, and has a community that really answers your questions in minutes, and has a huge list of plugins and addons.

vB is the best.. invision is also quite good, but it isn't free anymore :\.. Look into phpBB, it's a great open source program that is very user-friendly, and easy to install and maintain
    fuse9 LLC
    -Support Team-
    fusing the core of the internet
    Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, Custom Plans

vBulletin rocks!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Cool

My votes go to SMF for free and UBB Threads for paid.
    I've never understood why vBulliten has left UBB Threads "in the dust" so to speak over the last couple of years. From looking at the demos vBulliten looks like it's more complicated & does less from an admin point of view, maybe it's a lot easier to customize or something. I've yet to find someone who has used both who can explain why vBulliten has become so much more popular (it is cheaper but just about $10 so I don't think that's it) or maybe there are things I'm just overlooking.

I was always a big phpBB fan and still like it but SMF is just so much more powerful from the admin side. The only problem is the SMF community has written some great mods (not nearly as many as phpBB) but many are made incompatible by upgrades (more by the most recent than any before). But their "community" only took about a day to find the code in a mod in one of mine that was causing glitches and one great participant even PM'd me a snippet to fix it.
    Of course the "all new" phpBB is supposed to be released someday (haven't heard much about it lately) and supposedly it will make all their mods obsolete too from what they were saying. Maybe they backed off, I haven't been keeping up with the latest there except upgrades & patches.
    To me it still looks like SMF is the "up & coming" free BBS.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Are these hosted forums? I know you can get hosted forums with PHPbb..but what about the others. I don't have my own server to install these programs on so need a hosted forum without advertisements. I kind of tired of the look of PhPbb and havent figured out how to change the skins or even put my own logo on it.

I have always been a big fan of WebBoard (www.akiva.com) for online virtual communities. It is $$$$ but it is also very complete and has excellent support behind it.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

I don't have my own server to install these programs on so need a hosted forum without advertisements.
    You mean you need something like Proboards but without the ads they put on your forum's pages?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 06-22-2005 at 09:53 AM.

IPB is the best hands down because it has more than enough features, and it is not as resource-intensive or bloated as vBulletin.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Personally I prefer phpBB or e107, anything else is a pile of steaming code.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

PHpbb is best and they are best,

1. opensource

2. Free

3. there was an secuirty issue, but now has been fixed out and you have no problems.

The Best board on Net.

I personally like VB the best

PhpBB works well. Just make sure you keep it updated as it has been plagued with security holes in past years.

Originally posted by georgiehopper
    Are these hosted forums? I know you can get hosted forums with PHPbb..but what about the others. I don't have my own server to install these programs on so need a hosted forum without advertisements. I kind of tired of the look of PhPbb and havent figured out how to change the skins or even put my own logo on it.
    Example: Most any host is similar though programs vary. But first get a host with a common control panel. (Then you have your own hosting account, no ads etc. just the small monthly hosting fee...of course you have to have a domain name, I presume you do, if not those are cheap anyway)
    On the most common CPs I know of auto-installers for the basic forums like phpBB etc. are very common.

phpBB has been talked about a lot so as an example, get a host with phpBB installer included in their control panel.
    You can install it yourself in minutes (base install) hopefully your host will keep their packages up to date so you will get the latest version, if not you might have to update the phpBB manually later but let's assume you have the latest.
    Then you set up your boards like you want and spend a LOT of time on the phpBB web site looking over mods, skins and other stuff people have made & you can download from there and decide what you want. The phpBB site is full of "how to" stuff to get you familiar with adding optional skins, how the forums work, general tips, etc. etc. In this respect nothing equals phpBB for the information their site and "community" provide.
    Then you are off on your grand adventure of installing skins, uploading your own logos or whatever, it's just learning & work until you get them like you want.
    Example, changing the logo is simple. It's located in templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif by default. Just take the logo you want, rename it logo_phpBB.gif and upload it with overwrite to templates/subSilver/images/ and yours replaces the default (be sure your size is close).
    Easy as that.
    Last edited by DDT; 06-22-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

In my opinion, Simple Machines Forums are way above IPB or PHPbb. I've never used VB so I have no opinion on them except from a user's viewpoint they are nice.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

I started with IPB, then when they went to the pay model I went to phpBB. I always felt as something was missing.

Recently I moved to Simple Machines, it is far better than phpBB out of the box, and has more options out of the box.

Simple Machines is also free open source, so that is an added benefit.

The one thing that always bugged me about PhpBB in comparison to vBul was that it didn't handle the subscriptions quite the way one would expect. vBul does a much better job at this .... my opinion ofcourse.

If you are going with PhpBB for as a community forum, you might look into the phpbb+ which can be found at http://www.phpbb.de

vBulletins works pretty well

PHPBB is my favourite mainly due to the modifications. I find it also quite simple to self modify.

I came from ikonboard to PHPBB and I like the switch. My only complaint about PHPBB is the lack of admin tools. IT IS very much lacking IMHO.

SMF or vB. I've heard tons of phpBB issues.

MyTopix. I'm going to start using it myself soon. The coding is by far the best I've seen from any forum--completely object oriented, and done well at that.

phpBB has been very good to me. I have been using it for about a year now. It is easy to customize and there are plenty of good MODS available. And the forum is very active and informative. Lastly, it was easy to modify for SEO; I am readily getting indexed by the search engines.

Ray

vBulletin. Period.

can you believe their are places like webmasterworld that charge to be a member of their forum?

Is that something to be amazed at xeno? Membership sites have existed for very long.

SMF, hands down. And xeno, I have a paid membership site, let me explain why I charge:

Traffic: I bang out anywhere from 10-40 gigs of traffic a month.
    Advertising: Paid memberships keeps the member's side banner free.
    Privacy: We deal with a lot of financial and personal information. Stuff we don't want just any joe schmoe to have access to.
    Security: If someone's going to spend money on a membership, they're going to want to get the most out of it. a paid site helps ensure that.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

There have been many topics related to this one.

I recommend vBulletin

I use PHPBB and have no problems with it

I guess that whatever works best for you is the actual answer. If you can afford and justify the $$ get a paid for BB, if not, use one of the Open Source ones.

If you want to be able to hack, modify, customise - certainly stick with phpBB - If you want a company to be able to point the finger at if something goes wrong then pay the $$
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Every message board has their own advantages and disadvantages.
    vb - phpbb - ipb - smf
    are all a good written message board scripts

vBulletin is excellent

Thumbs up

go with vBulletin
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

Another vote for vBulletin, much more professional than others.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

vBulletin worked well for a site I run. It's up to 18k members and 1.6 million posts now, and it's running snappily and is easy to manage with a good team of moderators.

I recently started a free one on SMF, but vB is a better system with better support.

That's not a slam though -- a Mercedes is a better system than a Hyundai, but that doesn't mean a Hyundai isn't a better choice for you with whatever circumstances you've got. Like I say, I run both.