Anyone hosted with rackspace?

I'm looking into getting a dedicated server for my company. I'm looking at several companies but I talked to a representative from rackspace.com today. They seem like they have good support and servers.

Does anyone have any experiences (good and/or bad) with rackspace that you would be willing to share with me?

Thank you.

Yes, and they rock

But to be honest, you can get better elsewhere for your money, I'm not planning to move, but if I got another box for this client it'd be somewhere else.

i know a few guys who have hosting with them. They never complain.

Their quite good if you want fully managed but the price is not exactly 'my kind of price'. Might want to check out www.liquidweb.com who also offers fully managed.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I just today got a server with them in their UK datacenter. So far so good. The sales person was really friendly, telling me about his holiday in Portugal hehe.

Server was up and running in 2 hours (they guarentee 24 hours)

Ive sent in a couple of tickets so far with responses between 2-5 minutes everytime.

They offered 95% off the setup, a bit of discount and a free commercial mysql licence + plesk.

So overall it didnt work out too bad price wise. Will review in a few months fully but I doubt ill be having any problems

-Matt

The website you are reading this on is hosted over at RackSpace
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Greetings:

Several of our customers use Rackspace.com.

Rackspace.com IS NOT fully managed <smile>.

However, Rackspace.com is very good with high network up time and a solid network.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

What will you do with 100Gb/Mo Traffic?

http://www.rackspace.com/media/samp_configs_3.gif
    I Love WHT

Originally posted by sober
    What will you do with 100Gb/Mo Traffic?

http://www.rackspace.com/media/samp_configs_3.gif
    Twice as much as you will do with 50Gb/mo Traffic. Rackspace is not a budget host, don't expect budget bandwidth or budget prices on the bandwidth
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Rackspace is the only company I've been with that actually called me 11pm just to let me know there was a problem with their network, and when to expect things back to normal. For the rest of them, I usually find out about a problem through WHT after the fact

Rackspace is the gold standard for dedicated server support.

In our recent research, the only downside we found was that their packages come with limited bandwidth and they will charge you $3.50/GB for overage (for comparison, other legitimate companies charge less than $2/GB for overage and have bandwidth allocations that are 10X higher at the same price-points).

Note that their sales staff has quite a bit of flexibility to make the sale. I don't know what you are looking for exactly, but our experience may help you negotiate a better deal:

You should be able to negotiate a lower overage fee and a slightly higher bandwidth allocation. We were able to get a 50% increase in bandwidth and an overage fee of $2.75 when we told them that the only thing holding us back from making signing on was the limited bandwidth. Note that they only count incoming bandwidth, so make the appropriate adjustments when comparing with other companies (about 65% of our bandwidth is outgoing, I don't know if that is typical).

If our experience is representative, they will also push for a 1 year contract which will lower your rate somewhat. If you are comfortable with the pricing, a contract should not be a problem with Rackspace - after all, it is unlikely that you would be disappointed with the support.

They also offered to upgrade the drives from 36 to 73 GB in our SCSI RAID 1 configuration.

Hope that helps.

Al

Rackspace from the support side of things are amazing. Their pricing is high if you are just comparing "features" but they are very proactive rather than just reactive and we've never had a problem with them in the 3-4 years we've been with them. There are other providers out there who are offering good deals (machines and bandwidth) that are also offering very good support - we have one server with liquidweb and so far they have been just as good on answering support requests and dealing with issues. If money is no object (!) then I'd recommend Rackspace

We were with them for a year when we first started out. The support was pretty good but as far as Plesk skills went, our current team is way ahead. I thought I could just get servers there and be worry free but I ended up on the phone to them every night because the servers were so slack. Security was non-existant and they aren't very proactive. The servers ended up getting exploited alot.

In hindsight I wish I'd gone somewhere cheaper and spent the extra cash on a real server admin to look after the servers and tickets. As far as being able to ring them up toll free and ask what "DNS is they are great and will respond. As far as being the "gold standard for dedicated server support" - have to laugh at that. They are good but you still need someone to administer your servers.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by Revex Nation
    I just today got a server with them in their UK datacenter. So far so good. The sales person was really friendly, telling me about his holiday in Portugal hehe.
    Hope it was an 0800 number

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Rackspace.com IS NOT fully managed <smile>.
    But, they seem to tout it as that.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

So far I havent had to lift a finger. They helped me move all the accounts over from my cPanel server. Everything else was configured and ready to go.

Even if they dont stirctly have to support with something (aka moving files from a cPanel server to a plesk one) they always offer some form of help whether its links to web guides or them just saying they will do it.

Maybe Rackspace US is a little different but thats my experience of Rackspace UK so far..

-Matt

Greetings:

Rackspace.com does provide managed hosting. What it comes down to is the definition of the words "fully managed."

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile