London, Britannia.

Arrow Sport News :: Henmania gets off 2 nervey start as Tiger Tim battles in 5 SET THRILLER

Article extract >>

Tim Henman has won his first round match at Wimbledon after enduring an horrendous opening.

The British No1 lost the first two sets and looked to be dead and buried against the Finnish outsider Jarkko Nieminen.

But England's best hope for a Wimbledon win hit back 6-4, 7-5 before storming to a 6-2 final set.

The British No1 was a bystander in the first two sets and failed to whimper let alone roar.

But in traditional Henman style, he kept fans on the edge of their seats with an erratic show full of missed chances and genius shots, pulling the fourth set out of nowhere and walking the fifth.

Henman admitted he found the going tough.

"I was really struggling to to get some energy into the match and the crowd were probably the same," Henman said.

"You have to keep fighting. I'm proud of the way I dug in and the way I got through."

Earlier, teenager Andrew Murray won in three sets against George Bastl of Switzerland.

The 18-year-old Scot is fast winning over tennis fans with his plucky playing and never-say-die attitude.

Murray won the boys' singles at the US Open last September, and is being expected to make a huge impact on the senior tour.

He impressed in the Stella Artois Tournament at Queen's Club earlier this month before losing to Thomas Johansson.

While the expectation will increase the pressure on the Scottish youngster, he is relishing his chance.

"It is one of the biggest tournaments in the world and I am going to be playing in it, so I am pretty chuffed," he said.

End extract <<

For pictures ::,00.html','pictures',575,500,'no');

Did you wtch it?

Or do you hate theset wo weeks of the year?

I watched the opening game, listened on the radio until the middle of the second and then i was glued to the TV. I tell you, it's too early for matches like that but then maybe we've become a bit too comfortable in recent years. He hasn't had the luck fo the draw and the courts and balls aren't favouring him down the years but he pulled through. It was looking a bit dangerous at one point i've got to admit , even some of the commentators sounded as if they believed he couldn't come back in the second and third sets.

Opinions?? Comments??

Last edited by Critic; 06-21-2005 at 05:02 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

West Yorkshire, UK
    He made it difficult once again though. I'm all for the guy, but more often than not he flops. Great match non the less.
    - Jamie Harrop