APlus.net Telemarketing

APlus.net Telemarketer (TM): Can I please speak to the person who would be in charge of advertising for your company.
    Me: That would be me.
    TM: Hi. That's great. I'm calling on behalf of APlus.net Web Hosting. APlus.net does web hosting and web site design. Does your company have a website?
    Me: <smirking, rolling eyes> Yes it does.
    TM: That's great. What is it that your company does?
    Me: We do web hosting and design.
    TM: Wow. Um.. [pause] have you ever [pause] heard of APlus.net Web Hosting?
    Me: Yes, I've heard of them. I also do web hosting and design.
    TM: Ok... [pause] well, thanks. [pause] Thank you.
    <click>

I know they have no idea _who_ it is they're actually calling so no harsh feelings toward the people. I hate telemarketing in general, and shame on APlus.net for calling people on the DNC list (I am), but this made me smile today. The girl was so flustered I almost felt sorry for her.

Funny story. I hate telemarketing as well. I hope it doesn't turn out to be effective. God help us if every host with deep pockets and a phone book starts telemarketing.

I think next time some long distance company calls me I'm going to say 'I AM a long distance company <click>'.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

APlus has called me several times, usually a couple of weeks after I register another domain name.....Now I just let their calls go to voice mail but once, a couple of months ago, I decided I was going to try and sell them hosting. Not that I was serious about it, but I told the girl that we had much better customer service, yada yada yada, and if she was ever in need of hosting to give us a call. Then I asked for her supervisor.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

I have a friend who recently got a job as in telemarketing. In real life he's a good guy, but somehow he fails (or maybe refuses) to realise that what he's doing now at work is essentially wrong. He's calling people, telling them he's from another country and introducing himself under a false, English (and thus more trustable) name.

What I'm saying is that the woman/girl on the phone might not be essentially a bad person, but what she's doing is wrong and I'm sure after a few phone calls some people have told her about the DNC list etc. so chances are she knows it's wrong.

Anyway, I'm lucky enough to live in a poor country that virtually no one sees as a market, so I'm not bothered by inappropriate/unasked for phone calls. So there's a solution to get rid of those pesky sales phone calls: move to a really poor country.

They must target only certain registrars. I've registered domains through Godaddy for myself and a couple friends and none of us has ever received a solicitation phone call from APlus. To my knowledge none of our company's customers registered through a Network Solutions wholesale account have been called either.

I can't help but wonder what the pattern is.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    They must target only certain registrars. I've registered domains through Godaddy for myself and a couple friends and none of us has ever received a solicitation phone call from APlus. To my knowledge none of our company's customers registered through a Network Solutions wholesale account have been called either.

I can't help but wonder what the pattern is.
    That's interesting.....I register all of our domains through GoDaddy. I don't get a call on all of them, but I'd guess it's running about 50% or thereabouts.

Originally posted by CTG
    They must target only certain registrars... I can't help but wonder what the pattern is.
    Hmm. I didn't think about domain contact farming. Although I've had domains since the heyday and never got call one. I wonder as well what source they are using for contacts. Next time they call I may just try out one of their lower end hosting products for one month and be the worst, most obnoxious and cheap customer they've ever seen. I wonder if they've ever had 10 support tickets every day for 30 days from one customer... jk

Now I feel stalked.....I think we've registered 10-12 new names in the past few months and I can think of five, maybe six times I've been called.

How'd I get so lucky?

Isn't it a simple request to ask them to never call you again? I used to get about 5 calls a day from MCI and then finally I was completely fed up and put in a request to them to have my number removed from their database and haven't had a call in like 6 months.

Used to get calls from Aplus.net all the time ...

This is how to eliminate calls from marketing companies.

Let them get out their first sentance and then hit them back with

"Are you telemarketing me?!? Do you realize this is my Cell Phone and that it is illigal to Telemarket cell phones??!!"

They will say sorry sir, we will remove you from our list... ( or at this point tell them to remove you from their list ) And they will never call again.

Remember that the people behind the phone are just drones who don't have the mental capacity to realize that they are actually not calling a cell phone. They have the power to remove you from their databases and 90% of the time they will. I mean they don't want to get in trouble from the FCC for calling cell phones now do they.

Hope this helps you to eliminate your telephone spam.

C
    Mega Hosters Inc. - The Last Host You Will Ever Need!
    Hsphere Control Panel, 24/7 Phone Support, EasyApp, Shared SSL, Daily Backups, Dedicated IPs, PHP4 & PHP5, FFMPEG, Legal Adult Content Allowed + More!
    Treating A Customer The Way They Should Be Treated For Over 5.5 Years Now!

Re: APlus.net Telemarketing

Originally posted by USWEB-Darren
    APlus.net Telemarketer (TM): Can I please speak to the person who would be in charge of advertising for your company.
    Me: That would be me.
    TM: Hi. That's great. I'm calling on behalf of APlus.net Web Hosting. APlus.net does web hosting and web site design. Does your company have a website?
    Me: <smirking, rolling eyes> Yes it does.
    TM: That's great. What is it that your company does?
    Me: We do web hosting and design.
    TM: Wow. Um.. [pause] have you ever [pause] heard of APlus.net Web Hosting?
    Me: Yes, I've heard of them. I also do web hosting and design.
    TM: Ok... [pause] well, thanks. [pause] Thank you.
    <click>

I know they have no idea _who_ it is they're actually calling so no harsh feelings toward the people. I hate telemarketing in general, and shame on APlus.net for calling people on the DNC list (I am), but this made me smile today. The girl was so flustered I almost felt sorry for her.

Ah, funny people i really hate these kind of people and never even wish to talk to these

You should have the gal to do sales for you instead

It was really funny Actually I do not mind receiving that kind of call when I am on a good mood but only once in a month
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I get stacks of letter every year from the registry of america or something along those lines. Tryin to get me to renew my domain with them. Usually 35-40 letters, and they all come on the same day, funnily enough, they all leave the same day.....staright into my wheely bin.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

I can already tell from the conservation that he violated TCPA Act of 1990. Under theTelephone Consumer Protection Act. 1991, a company must give their full identification (name), Vendor (if any), Company Name, and phone number and the end of the call. What he should of said is this below...

Hello, my name is <insert name> and i'm calling on behalf of aplus.net. we do web hosting, web site designs and thought your company might be interested in our services.
    <ending line>
    Well if you change your mind you can reach us at <insert phone number> and somebody will be able to assist you. Bye.

also the fact they use the whois (forbidden by ICANN) to use for marketing.
    Last edited by Kerry Jones; 06-22-2005 at 10:47 AM.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I can already tell from the conservation that he violated TCPA Act of 1990. Under theTelephone Consumer Protection Act. 1991, a company must give their full identification (name), Vendor (if any), Company Name, and phone number and the end of the call. What he should of said is this below...

Hello, my name is <insert name> and i'm calling on behalf of aplus.net. we do web hosting, web site designs and thought your company might be interested in our services.
    <ending line>
    Well if you change your mind you can reach us at <insert phone number> and somebody will be able to assist you. Bye.

also the fact they use the whois (forbidden by ICANN) to use for marketing.
    What he should have said is.. nothing. He shouldn't have called at all. If we want hosting, we'll go looking for it. I'll never buy anything from one calling me and asking.

Well I was looking at aplus and ev1 together and started dreaming...
    (im still on shared hosting)
    Anyway. I had a chat with an aplus guy; it was soo obvious how hard they try to get sales. I even asked him if he got paid by the amount of hosting he says..
    Guess what the answer was ? Yup. It was Yes well actually. "a little bit".
    Anyway, I played around with the ring back thing on their site. (you know the thing wherre you can enter your telephone number and they call you?)
    Well I entered many different numbers to see how big this thing was.. Eg I tried 911 etc.
    I then entered ev1's sales number... It worked...
    To this day I feel guilty about doing it..
    To anyone at aplus out there: sorry if it was you

I've had several calls from them - and so has one or two of my customers... - I was most annoyed when I'd heard they been phoning them too.

Not much I can do about that though.

Was a while ago mind you.

APlus.net is a SHODDY company, they have NUMEROUS complaints filed against them, both here at WHT and with the BBB, and ICANN.

Their business practices are unethical at the least and illegal at the most, yet they still persist, through the stupidity of the unsavvy consumer.

They need to be sued. Fast and for LOTS of money.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)