Thread: UK hosting

UK hosting

Which UK hosts do people recommend?

In theory, it should be easy to run a poll here and work out who's good and who's not good. Probably in three bands:

1 budget
    2 mid-range
    3 pro

I'm personally interested in (1), but only if they're using reliable, OK servers. My criteria are (approximately):

5gb space
    10/unlimited databases
    5gb bandwidth
    PHP, CGI, file locking enabled, standard php permisisions
    email, phpmyadmin, etc....

Do you have a budget for that.
    It seems you forgot to add Support to your list a key factor.
    Regards

Personally, I'm looking at the low end deals running at about 20 - they do exist, and my needs are modest. I dont expect substantial support for that, because if its a reseller they're more of a marketeer than a technical resource. Most of the time i can do stuff on my own, although such a service DOES need to be based on a reliable server with all the basic features and php permissions enabled - so i wont need to contact the host, requesting support they may not be able to deliver because they're not actually the administrator. Which is a situation open to abuse, because no one is really accountable.

A budget reseller account can potentially go badly wrong, because the host doesn't actually have much control over the server. So if it does go wrong.....you the user is in big trouble.

Which is why recommendations and personal anecdotes are good. If you've been using a host for 3/6 months, you can give a good appraisal of them.

5gb space
    10/unlimited databases
    5gb bandwidth
    That space/bandwitdh ratio is very strange. Can you confirm that is what you want? Maybe you meant to say 50GB of bandwidth?

You should check the offers forums, You say those deals exist they sure do but ask yourself are they too good to be true, Do some research and you will be much better off.
    Good luck with the search

Originally posted by ldcdc
    That space/bandwitdh ratio is very strange. Can you confirm that is what you want? Maybe you meant to say 50GB of bandwidth?
    Yea i just though thats was a typo unless you want to use it for a online personal storage space or something.
    Also i forgot to add do you want the server in the UK or US if your looking for a UK server thats going to be hard to find and if you did i would doubt the quality.
    Regards

Yes actually, 10,000Mb space
    100,000 Mb Bandwidth....or thereabouts

Seems to me, so long as a company/resller uses a relaible account to begin with, it should be ok. I dont need sophisticated services or extensive tech. support - so why pay for it?

But it has to be RELIABLE. Thats the mimimum.

So whos good and whos not?