View Poll Results: Should network name be allowed in Signature?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! No harm whatsoever.

47 82.46%
  • No! [WHT mods: ENFORCE IT!]

10 17.54%

Network Name in Signature

Perhaps around last year, I was given warning points for putting "Internap" in my signature since it violates the Rules. But now, I see that many people are violating the rules and yet weeks after weeks, months after months, the rules are still broken by the same person, telling me that no warning has ever been issued to these persons. So my conclusions are:

1. Whomever gave me warning points must have a personal problem with me, perhaps even my competitor, that would rather see my warning points build up and have me suspended. [I did get suspended, but thank goodness there are still some fair/good mods around here. Thanks SWR!]

2. The rules are no longer enforced, in this case, that particular rules need to be removed from WHT rules ... OR ...

3. There is not enough mods/community leaders (or whatever) that can enforce any bit of rules here ...

I will choose that rules to be removed. What's wrong with putting network name in your signature? If one would claim they have "Pure Internap" or "Pure Peer1", or "Pure Cogent" for that matter, since they believe it's their unique business offering, why forbid them to do so? What damages have this caused to others that such network name should be banned in signatures?

Comments?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Did you report this person?

I don't understand this and several other WHT rules. I'm sure the admins have their reasons for making such rules, but I, a mere simpleton (), don't understand them.

FHDave

The best course of action would be to go directly to the mods with the issue.

Their helpdesk is located here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by blue27
    Did you report this person?
    Nah .... that would be like a little kid whinning I did mention the rule to the persons, either through PM or by replying to the post. But no one seems to care ...

I wonder a lot of WHT rules. I can see the importance on some rules. Some others, I don't see the point .... Pointless rules are hard to enforced. And if they are not enforced well, then may as well get rid of them.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!

The rule about the "free" in signature is by far the most abused one.

I was warned once for mentioning "FreeBSD". Hah! The mod did apologize later though.

Originally posted by HP-David
    FHDave

The best course of action would be to go directly to the mods with the issue.

Their helpdesk is located here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/
    What issue? I just want to see what others think. I don't care what the mods think

I was warned for a post that I made like a year ago! I asked why and they removed it. WTF?!

Originally posted by FHDave
    Nah .... that would be like a little kid whinning I did mention the rule to the persons, either through PM or by replying to the post. But no one seems to care ...

I wonder a lot of WHT rules. I can see the importance on some rules. Some others, I don't see the point .... Pointless rules are hard to enforced. And if they are not enforced well, then may as well get rid of them.

Actually this thread is more like a little kid whining.

The mods can't be expected to notice every little thing or read every signature and every post.
    That is why there is a report post link.

This is a community and as such reporting rules violations is the responsibility of every member.

This is a community and as such reporting rules violations is the responsibility of every member.
    IMO, if anything is like a little kid whining, it's reporting posts that violate trivial rules. I could be mistaken, but I thought most of us successfully graduated from kindergarten...

A rule is a rule.
    Just because you consider them to be "trivial" doesn't make that any less so.

I will let the owners and mods of WHT determine what is or isn't trivial.

A rule is a rule.
    I didn't say that it did, but as you said below, why not leave it up to the "owners and mods of WHT"? I report posts very seldomly, and when I do, it's usually because someone's seriously trolling.

The rules are in place for a reason. Some may seem to be trivial, some may seem to be spot on, but they're all there for a reason. They're there because people (in the past and sometimes in the present) abuse things to such an extreme that there needs to be guidelines for them.

I've been warned long ago (a month after I signed up) for ad trashing, and rightfully so.

I've even had one of my posts reported within the last three months (it was determined that I should modify my wording, which I did).

No one ever said that people had to like all the rules, just that they should respect them.

There's a lot of discussion that goes on behind the scenes about rules, it's not like we don't listen.

If you have an issue with someone's post or signature, and you feel that it does violate a rule, just report it. Let the mod team handle it. That's the beauty of the system here. Only the mod team will know who's reported what, and we do try to maintain that anonymity.

And if you don't like the rules, just stop posting/visiting. No one forced you (generalization, not specifically you) to sign up here, no one's forcing you to post here.
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

A rule is a rule.

Somebody mentioned this stupid rule here in WHT, but I already forget what it really is. There was one state (or city) that has in its law a rule that forbids people to ride a horse on a particular day (or something like that). Anyway, it was a very obsolete laws for todays standard. The rule may makes sense back when the rule was created, but not much sense at all now.

A little kid whining will be to report somebody who break this little/obsolete rules to the authority. But of course, that's just little kid whining. What one should do is to get polling from the community where that rule applies, ask them whether they agree to modify/remove the rule. And based on what the community thinks, present the polling results to the city hall, state hall (whatever) in hoping the obsolete rule will be removed.

What I am doing is the later. I won't whine for the smallest rule being broken, especially if it's broken by my competitors. I am just asking if such rules needs to exist, and if so, on what ground. If you don't like my "whining" then feel free to just pass. No need to complaints here too

Re: Network Name in Signature

. . . Comments?
    Okay. You talked me into it.

I've never understood this rule.

Well, I understand it. But, it doesn't have the effect that was intended.

It was implemented, from my understanding, to tone down advertising in signatures. Just like the entire line, "May not contain any pricing, plan, sales, server, network, etc. details.

Now, I agree that I don't want to be constantly hit in the face with, "Buy this plan, featuring this for $$$!" But, if "Buy this plan for $$$" is forbidden anywho, I don't see a problem with the "featuring this" bit generalized. (to a certain extent)

"We use pure internap bandwidth" certainly ain't gonna bother me.

WebHostingTalk has had some pretty strict signature rules ever since I remember. Howerver, they have been more refined and loosened considerably over the past few years. How "network" and even "server" restrictions have remained, is beyond me.

I voted.

I hope more do.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Looks like the "Ayes" have it.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    Looks like the "Ayes" have it.
    Yeah, but only by a whisker.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yeah, but only by a whisker.
    In Aussie Land what is your definition of a whisker?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by Tyler
    In Aussie Land what is your definition of a whisker?
    We have big cats down here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cat-fc-3.jpg  

One reason I don't like it is that certain hosts zoom in only on posts requesting a certain network and say mundane things like "I am sure there are many hosts here who are with xyz" Hint, *look at my sig, I offer it!!!!!!!!!*.

One reason I don't like it is that certain hosts zoom in only on posts requesting a certain network and say mundane things like "I am sure there are many hosts here who are with xyz" Hint, *look at my sig, I offer it!!!!!!!!!*.
    Maybe we should warn for self-promotion in such situations...

Especially when a user repeatedly chimes in with such posts, it's obvious they don't care one bit about contributing; all they want is to plasture their sig and increase their post count. I've often wondered what we should do about members who consistently act like that...

So, maybe it would be more effective if we would warn for the specific behavior instead of warning because of (what will appear to be) an abstract signature rule...

I'm not sure who would be right to police such things.

Who is going to be the one to determine a member's motive for posting.

Sometimes when someone posts, "Too bad. Good luck with finding a new host," they really do mean they feel bad for the way the OP was treated and hopefully they'll find a better provider (with or without a signature that states they're a host). Of course, if they didn't have a signature stating they host, it probably wouldn't need scrutiny.

I think it would be easier to outlaw signatures, than to say why someone posts what they do when they do.

I know I've posted a few smiley parades. And though it wasn't to get my signature shown, I can see where it could be perceived as such.

In fact, I'd probably have been banned long ago if it was going to be against forum guidelines to post in a thread if it could be perceived as signature spamming.

I just don't know where you'd draw the line. And I don't know anyone that could know where the line is.

Maybe you're right Dennis and those decisions would be much too subjective to be fair.

why not leave it up to the "owners and mods of WHT"
    because the actual "users" of WHT outnumber the "owners and mods of WHT" by probably 100:1 (if not more). The mods need every bit of help they can get.

Do I see "we offer internap bandwidth" as a violation? Not really. However, I've been warned for telling people they need a 'server admin', not exactly trying to advertise my services (sometimes I turn the signature off, sometimes I don't), mainly as a suggestive measure.

Personally, I say do away with the bandwidth part of the signature rulings. Servers, that's a bit different, as who wants to see pages and pages of "AMD 32000 1GDDR 800G HD" signatures (which is what it'd turn into) . I don't see anything wrong with bandwidth advertisement myself though
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

So is it yay or nay now?

Put some network information into your sig and find out.

So is it yay or nay now?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/misc.p...on=forum-rules

Signatures:
    Must be setup in your profile, and not manually added to your messages.
    May not contain any pricing, plan, sales, server, network, etc. details.
    May contain a maximum of two smilies. Or one animated smiley.
    May include two clickable links.
    May include two colors.
    Maximum font size cannot be larger than normal.
    Must be kept to a maximum of four lines (at 1024 resolution).
    May not contain links to other threads or posts.
    Please keep special characters to a minimum.
    Your signature is your signature. It is not for sale or rent.
    Any signature that is offensive or insulting to either WHT, its members, or its staff, are prohibited.
    We reserve the right to ask you to change and/or remove your signature at any time, for any reason.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

May not contain any pricing, plan, sales, server, network, etc. details.
    A WHT Mod doesnt even get that one.

exactly ....

So, the community seems to agree about removing this particular rule. Even some of the mods do not agree to this rule. So where do we go from here?

You must either be the smartest boy around here or completely miss the point of this thread.

You must either be the smartest boy around here or completely miss the point of this thread.
    No, just trying to point the way to common sense, which you clearly missed. If the rule had been changed, it would have been updated in the rules listing.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

It's clear that the rule has not been changed. And thus, I am asking where we go from now. The community seems to want the rules changed. Some mods don't think it's necesseary. My question is simple, how do we get the rules changed?

Pardon me, what am I missing?

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Maybe we should warn for self-promotion in such situations...

Especially when a user repeatedly chimes in with such posts, it's obvious they don't care one bit about contributing; all they want is to plasture their sig and increase their post count. I've often wondered what we should do about members who consistently act like that...

So, maybe it would be more effective if we would warn for the specific behavior instead of warning because of (what will appear to be) an abstract signature rule...
    Disable their signatures entirely.
    If they don't have anything to contribute to a post they should get nailed, imo. There also has to be some leniency though: as some people are just loudmouths who like to post (like myself).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Signature is just like a business card. The purpose is to self promote your business given the small space. I personally don't care about what's in the signature as much as I don't care what's on people's business card. And if I don't want to read the signature, I can just skip it. In fact, I rarely read signatures when reading posts. If I am interested with the person's post, I will go read the signature and try to see the type of business the person has through the limited signature space.

So indeed, signature is just like a business card.

If mentioning a network is prohibited for self-promotion concern, then one should certainly prohibit mentioning the company name in the signature. Why is it that mentioning other company name is prohibited but mentioning one's own company name is not? If the rule is to ban self-promotion, then I really don't see the logic behind it.

If you are afraid of self promotion, then may as well ban signatures all together. I hate to see this. Personally I want to be able to see what the person is doing first through their signatures. And if I am interested to learn more, I will contact the person or browse the web site.

We'll give it a go.

If we have to put it back in, we do. But the rule has been updated.

SWR,

Thank you! At least now I know that WHT is truely community oriented and that the mods are listening to suggestions from the community. Thank you again! You are my #1 mod

SWR,

Thank you! At least now I know that WHT is truely community oriented and that the mods are listening to suggestions from the community. Thank you again! You are my #1 mod
    Come on Dave. Update your sig.