Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Programming Language for Beginner

Hello I'm looking for the best programming language for a beginner that can take off into a decent language. I already know PHP, but I want a language that I can develop applications with. I'm thinking C++ or C# or one of them. I don't want it for Web, just for desktop applications. Can you guys give me your references? I'm also looking for a language that has lots of online tutorials and help sites.
    fraudservers.com - for sale!

Delphi is nice, tho not as popular as C

Well, C, C++ and Java are all popular and have been around long enough for there to be ample online resources for them.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

If you want to make desktop app ( windows OS ), i suggest you visual basic.

are there any free compilers for VB?
    fraudservers.com - for sale!

visual basic is the worst programming language I have ever tried, try C, it's the best I've tried so far...
    corewizard.

If you like really tidy code and to know where you're going, learn Pascal. Otherwise imo C++ is the best, although I've never tried basic C, so can't tell you.

If you're going to be doing destop applicatons, I'd suggest some variation of C to start with, and then Visual Basic if you feel so inclined.

If you're wanting to do web based, I'd recommend starting with a combination of Javascript and PHP.

Of course, if you turn out to be a PHP fanatic, you could always write desktop applications in PHP GTK.

There are so many places to start, and options available, that it's really a subjective question that will differ from person to person.

The good thing however, is that no matter where you start, most languages are similar in form and practice, so that once you get the basics down, they can be applied across many languages. This will drastically cut down your learning curve when learning supplemental languages.

In regards to free VB compilers: I'm not aware of any offhand. However, you can download the .NET Express Betas from here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

and I've heard that when they go final, they'll be roughly around $50 each. Which really isn't bad at all if you don't need the full .NET Studio.

Good luck!

C# is actually an interesting choice. It's well conceived and has a number of modern aspects that will make it easier to come to grips with object orientated design. At the same time, it integrates very well with Microsoft's .NET library (duh), so you'll not have much trouble creating applications in Windows. There is also the Mono project which, though incomplete, permits some cross-platform development.

C++ is probably not the best choice, simply because it is complicated and not necessarily in an ideal way.

C is one of my favourite languages, but it isn't the shortest route to developing graphical applications. I think there are many valuable concepts to learn with C, and having a good grasp of it will lend a hand in learning C++.

The trend at universities in Australia has been to teach Java as an introduction to OO. So, don't ignore that as an option, especially if you're long term goal is easy cross-platform development.

There is nearly always an free compiler out there for a language, especially if the language is prevalent on *nix. MS might make a win32 C# compiler available for free, as they do offer a C/C++ one. Though the Mono project has a C# compiler, I've never looked into exactly what platforms it is easy or possible to use it on (obviously Linux, but possibly not Windows).
    Last edited by cerebis; 06-22-2005 at 01:03 AM.

Not to burst your bubble and fret you away from learning programming, but to start i would recommend you learn the concepts behind everything. Study algorithms too. Most people make a fatal blow and just start diving into (Learning To Write Code) and want to learn programming in 10 minutes. Take a few moments and go study what exactly Computer Science is. Then... go and start writing some simple programs in your language of choice. Once you begin to help yourself, then you can solve other peoples software trouble.

Here another one of my favorites to share with you...

http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

Once you learn the concepts & business you are in. Here are my recommendations for language choices.

C# if you are planning for Windows application & web development. It has a very powerful syntax command, very similar to Java. You can download a free development environment here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/expres...p/default.aspx

Or...

www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Both are free.

For Linux / Unix (Open Source Systems) I'd go C++ every time. Eclipse has a nice plug-in for C++ that you can also use in Linux... again! Completely FREE! no charge.

Just some of my own opinons for your consideration.
    Last edited by rackgeek; 06-22-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    Rack Geek, LLC
    Proactive Systems Administration - Managed Hosting - Wordpress Consulting - Security Audits
    Call us: 877-970-7225

If you want to dive right into learning huge OOP concepts, you may consider looking into Ruby or Python. Python is a bit easier, I would say.

The docs for both languages are amazing and easy to follow.

Java would be my personal favorite to suggest.

Funny thing is you said beginner which would imply that you want something to "start" with that is "easy". If this is true I would sujjest vb or even java. If you want somethign more advanced and powerfull go with a variant of C.
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

Originally posted by Nullified
    Funny thing is you said beginner which would imply that you want something to "start" with that is "easy". If this is true I would sujjest vb or even java. If you want somethign more advanced and powerfull go with a variant of C.
    Sometimes people work on different levels. Some people tend to understand the difficult better than the less difficult.

More or less (based on opinions, I suppose), learning OOP as a base may be "simpler."

Taking this leap, if possible, provides various options of how to look at and learn other languages.

My two cents.

VB!!! Learn Visual Basic if you want to quickly start developing applications. Or go for C, C++ and then build MFC applications with VC++.

If you have understood the concepts of programming in PHP, then it will be easy for you to adapt any other language. C should easier (though it will take sometime before you get used to it's tighter variable environment ) because it has some similar functions, but it will take long before you can really start developing GUI applications in C.
    Last edited by EXOWorks; 06-25-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

The first application programming language I learned was QBasic and then moved to Visual Basic. I still use Visual Basic to this day. I have never bothered with any variant of C programming. I have learned some Delphi.

The first internet programming language I learned was HTML because in all reality it is a language but, if you are tempermental and do not include that a programming language then my first would be php. I have expanded the internet programming language to know many others such as xml, asp/vbscript, dhtml/javascript, mysql.

Like many of the others here.. I would suggest Learning C or C++ Before any other program language.. If you have the basics for C or C++ then the other languages will become Easy to learn.. Since they basically emerged from C / C++

I would recommend learning .net using the C# code language. It is very versitle.

go with C / C++ and forget all about desktop applications for now. Learn the concept of OOP is more important than anything right now for you. Once you get a solid knowledge of OOP, you can learn more languages such as java, php, C#, ...etc

I'd say learn a scripting language. Python or ever better, Ruby. A compiled language (C, C++, VB) has a learning curve of compiling and linking processes. A scripting language is interpreted, therefore much easier to start with.

There are tons of useful resources on the web concerning both Python and Ruby. Ruby has an excellent book, called Programming Ruby, The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide. Python has even better book for beginners, called Dive Into Python.

Avoid VB at all costs. VB is known to Surgeon General to cause cancer in laboratory animals' brains. Joking aside, VB is very strongly tied to the Windows platform. Once you learn VB you won't be able to use it on your shiny new CentOS 4 dedicated box. Learn Python or Ruby and you will be able to switch platforms easily. Truly "write once, run anywhere".

I think C++ is the way to go, on desktop applications. If you are planning on primarily Windows Desktop Applications try to check out MFC, WTL, etc.. sooner than later.

A good place to start might be:
    http://www.codeproject.com/
    http://www.codeguru.com/

HTML != Programming in my mind... drag this drop that.. its done, no code....( but what am I to say... I enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force )

I think PHP would be great to start with as well, get the syntax down, because VB is a mess. VB tried so hard to be Object oriented, and failed harder then I have ever seen in my life. I love c#, if you can, learn event driven and then object programming with c#. You will love how clean things can be, ( and the support MSDN offers ) Just never buy a book, ( unless you are a better reader from a book than a screen like me LOL )
    free stuff == better.........

Just a toss in, because I have never used VB, how many of you VB Programmers are upset about the change in .NET? how many like it?

( I love .net..... I am a die hard Linux user, but i love .net thats one thing MS did 'okay' )

if your title also includes scripting language, i think php will be good & quick for beginners

Use good ol' C or C++... or even Assembly language if you're up for a challenge!

If you're a beginner as in only just starting programming for the first time ever, I'd recommend VB or some other sort of BASIC (for example Liberty BASIC).

DIV is nice, too, but that's only for making games for MS-DOS... so that's not too good.

Originally posted by SuperSac
    HTML != Programming in my mind... drag this drop that.. its done, no code....( but what am I to say... I enjoy Aqua Teen Hunger Force )

Just a toss in, because I have never used VB, how many of you VB Programmers are upset about the change in .NET? how many like it?
    Call me old fashion but, I code all of my websites with use of Notepad so, there really is no drag and drop going on for me.

I have tried VB.NET and yes it's very different from Legacy versions of VB I can still manage.

I am a quick, easy and dedicated learner so of course this kind of change was mediocre for me.

Originally posted by Mike_R
    go for C, C++ and then build MFC applications with VC++.
    I second that. (not the VB part lol)
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast