Bind reload failure in cPanel - will pay for assistance

Hello,

I am a Linux novice (not even novice level, having no knowledge or hands on...)

I operate a webserver running Trustix Enterprise with WHM/cPanel.

After performing updates and a machine reboot, I am unable to get Bind to reload on my webserver.

After spending several hours researching the issues I was having, it appears as though the named.conf and/or the rndc.conf / rndc.key files are causing the issue. On viewing the three files in question, the hash 'secret code' is identical on the named.conf & rndc.conf, but different on the rndc.key file.

Additionally, the named.conf file appears as though it may be corrupt (not certain here, but in comparing it to the backup named.conf, it is missing many lines of data).

I am not able to access the machine locally, but can through shell root access. Is there any way the named.conf or rndc.key files can be edited remotely through the shell?

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to overcome the issues? The specific errors I am seeing logged are:

1. On attempting to restart Bind:

named has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "named is not running"). Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named: named shutdown failed Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named: Removing chroot jail succeeded Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named: Removing chroot jail succeeded Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named: Setting up chroot jail succeeded Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: starting BIND 9.2.3 -u named -c /etc/named.conf -t /var/lib/named/chroot Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: using 1 CPU Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf' Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named: named startup succeeded Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: /etc/named.conf:220: when using 'view' statements, all zones must be in views Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: loading configuration: failure Jun 20 21:31:20 bm2 named[6205]: exiting (due to fatal error)

2. On attempting to 'Add entry for hostname':

IP=xxx.xx.xxx.x Bind reloading on bm2 using rndc zone: [host-tgm.com] Error reloading bind on bm2: rndc: connect failed: connection refused Add Complete

Looking for:

Suggestions on how to correct the above errors to get Bind to load; a method to do this remotely either through the WHM admin panel or the shell root through putty.

If anyone can help, I would be very appreciative. Will to pay someone to correct this issue if appropriate.

Thank you in advance.

TheKnowledgeBroker @ hotmail.com

Just a note:
    If you're offering to pay for services its best to post in the 'employment offers and requests' section.

PM'ed to you about this

try with /scripts/fixndc ( run twice ) on the command line and restart the dns service using "service named restart" on the shell.

andy, please excuse my ignorance...

through the shell at root level, how do I execute the the command above?

I have found in the /etc dir the following file: named.conf.fixdnc

I have attempted to do as you suggested, but have had no success. I did not locate a dir called 'scripts' where would that be?

thanks again.

Hi TGM,

Login in as root via SSH and then execute the following commands :

cd /scripts

./fixndc

(execute it twice)

Then ' service named restart '.
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development

Hello,

Thanks for the attempt.. I was able to perform the above steps. I received a syntax error tied to the named.conf, generated on both instances where the fixndc was invoked.

Is it possible to edit the named.conf via root shell? Apparently it is corrupted, generating syntax errors with all related process attempts.

Originally posted by TGM-Admin
    Hello,

Thanks for the attempt.. I was able to perform the above steps. I received a syntax error tied to the named.conf, generated on both instances where the fixndc was invoked.

Is it possible to edit the named.conf via root shell? Apparently it is corrupted, generating syntax errors with all related process attempts.
    just pico it.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

pico is not recognized as a command in my shell (Trustix Enterprise *nix w WHM/cPanel integrated...

:|

any other alternatives?

Originally posted by TGM-Admin
    pico is not recognized as a command in my shell (Trustix Enterprise *nix w WHM/cPanel integrated...

:|

any other alternatives?
    Use nano. It's pico, just updated.

Also try ' vi ' editor..
    AssistanZ - Beyond Boundaries...
    Cloudstack Consultancy / 24x7 Web Hosting Support / 24x7 Server Management / Infrastructure Management Services
    Web & Mobile Apps Development / Web Designing Services / Php, Grails, Java Development