new.net and .travel

We had old domain extensions, then new extensions and now newest extensions.

.xxx (approved)
    .jobs (approved)
    .travel (approved)
    .post
    .mobi
    .cat
    .asia
    .mail
    .tel

read more... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4602449.stm

As ICANN just approved new .travel/xxx I was thinking of the new.net's .travel/xxx extension.

Yes I know that system(new.net) is totally useless and I never thought its worth registering (even for free), but for people who are registered with new.net's .travel/xxx extension what will be in the future?

here are some things I am thinking might happen.

1. IMMIDIATE LOSS OF DOMAINS

ok that were not domains but will old users be able to access the .travel/xxx of new.net or the real .travel/xxx?
    I havent installed the plugin so cant say how the DNS priority for that works, but I am guessing real .travel/xxx will be dominent.

2. NO REFUNDS

As says new.net's policy
    ------------------------------
    All Fees are Nonrefundable.
    Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, you agree that all fees paid by you to New.net are non-refundable, in whole or in part, even if the Domain Name is suspended, cancelled or transferred prior to the end of the then-current registration term by you, by New.net or otherwise.
    read more ... http://new.net/policies_registration.tp

3. WARNING FOR OTHER EXTENSIONS
    I personally dont know anybody having new.net domain, but there maybe somebody. Well everybody warned them before registering , now here is a real warning. As I can see there is a possibility of more new extensions so is the possibility of losing new.net extensions.

The thing I am interested most is response of new.net to this change. They havent yet removed .travel/xxx from their list so far.
    http://new.net/index.tp?lang_id=english

just my 1.1 pence
    your thought welcome....
    █ Quickly check if a site is down or not - http://down.is
    █ Remote & easy to use ... down.is/webhostingtalk.com

If you have a new.net name you are screwed anyway. They do not really function properly.
    Domain Maven

Wont be last time you will say that lol

Originally posted by dmaven
    If you have a new.net name you are screwed anyway. They do not really function properly.

well said, I wonder why people pay to get screwed up :d

Originally posted by dmaven

new.net are ICANN wannabe's

new.net thinks they can just make up extensions as they see fit.

The current new.net system sucks anyway the whole idea behind it is moronic and unrealistic

http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Well people who registered through new.net can't actually lose their domains - they never actually owned them in the firstplace.

Basically as far as I see it the following will happen.
    Example domain great.travel

I own great.travel through new.net
    As soon as .travel goes live the domain will resolve to the real location of great.travel
    new.net will have to stop charging me.
    If I attempt to complain to new.net about loss of domain, loss of revenue etc you'll be asked to read their T&C.

People who registered through new.net will not got any special treatment at all.
    If new.net have got any sense at all they will put in for all of the domains they have sold to customers.
    So new.net should look at their list of "active" .travel domains and as soon as they can attempt to pre-register the real domains.
    For every one they win they might be able to keep a customer happy.

When the new extentions goes live will all new.net customers just have the new.net subdomain they got in the first place. I don´t know how the new.net plugin works but I guess people who have downloaded the plugin might get some trouble when they want to access the real .travel, .job and .xxx domains.

i would bet new.net puts theirs first in their plugin.... just a guess. And for anyone buying new.net domains... sorry to hear that. stop doing it.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

If new.net had any sense they'd become an ICANN registrar and grab up the domains that people had already registered.

But they've already demonstrated a lack of sense. Their "new.net software" shows up as spyware and, in my experience, completely messes up DNS lookups on win9x machines.

i wonder .travel registrant with new.net what they gonna do when .travel go live

tons of lawsuits?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I doubt any of them using new.net domains have the money to pursue legal action. If they had money in the first place they wouldn't have ended up with a new.net domain and would be in .com. Just my thoughts.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Originally posted by kohashi
    I doubt any of them using new.net domains have the money to pursue legal action. If they had money in the first place they wouldn't have ended up with a new.net domain and would be in .com. Just my thoughts.
    Agree to a point.
    However a lot of people didn't neccessarily buy new.net domains because of cost.
    .com/.net/.org are cheaper.

It's more people were confused or even dare I say it "tricked" into believing they were getting a proper domain with a new tail that everyone would want.
    I guess they have to prove that is what happened if they want to pursue legal action.

A lot of people simply "didn't know better" and will only actually find out once these domains become proper TLD's.

Originally posted by Bladerunner

It's more people were confused or even dare I say it "tricked" into believing they were getting a proper domain with a new tail that everyone would want.
    I guess they have to prove that is what happened if they want to pursue legal action.

A lot of people simply "didn't know better" and will only actually find out once these domains become proper TLD's.
    new.net are fradulent
    Their website is designed to trick people into beliving that these are real domains its only if you read deeper into the site that you realise whats going on.

Some people dont know how the domain system works and for all they know its normal to require a plugin for each domain extension you visit.

It may also be normal to only host with partnered webhosts.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Originally posted by Bashar
    i wonder .travel registrant with new.net what they gonna do when .travel go live

tons of lawsuits?

I wonder if this can save them from even a single lawsuit

"you agree that all fees paid by you to New.net are non-refundable, in whole or in part, even if the Domain Name is suspended, cancelled or transferred prior to the end of the then-current registration term by you, by New.net or otherwise."

interesting otherwise

That is a very interesting T&C.
    I was going to have a read through and see if I could spot anything that might get them out of trouble - but to be honest I couldn't be bothered because it's too hot LOL

"otherwise"

What a wonderful and "blanket way" to cover ones arse.
    Will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Dont waste time on these domains, wont get far..