Number of vlan/interfaces on Juniper M7i

Hi,

We are currently setting up a network for a large building (700 clients) and are considering using the Juniper M7i router as a core router for this network.

Have anyone experience in loading 700 interfaces onto this router on a gigabit interface with vlans? I know the number of vlans is within the spesifications of the product - but have anyone tested it or have any qualified quesses if it will work?

The setup is simple

gigabit line --> juniper m7i --> vlan each end client with cheap edge switches

--------

We have already chosen the technical plattform, including the use of /30 networks on all of the clients and are going for this solution. The question now is - will the router be able to handle this amount of interfaces/vlans on 1gbps?

You'll need "cheap edge switches" that can also handle 700 vlans and trunking protocols. Don't know of many cheap ones ;-)
    bye

Originally posted by amps
    You'll need "cheap edge switches" that can also handle 700 vlans and trunking protocols. Don't know of many cheap ones ;-)
    I know - some local dealer here have sold us some cheap equipment that can do that - but can the juniper do the trick?

This type of topology seems pretty ill advised. Your Juniper M5 router will be a single point of failure, and configuring downstream switches for all those vlans will be nightmarish. However, gigE pics have a limit of 1024 VLANs per port so you could technically do this. My hunch, though, is that if you have to ask this question - you really should get some expert advice on your network topology, infrastructure, etc.

You really ought to give jsw6 a hollar. His rates are very resonsable, and he's got real, cost effective solutions.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    You really ought to give jsw6 a hollar. His rates are very resonsable, and he's got real, cost effective solutions.
    Agreed, he really knows his stuff.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!