Question News/Critic asks : Today is the LONGEST day of the year, the Summer Solstice, 21,000

Article extract >>

The longest day of the year has been celebrated by up to 21,000 people who gathered at Stonehenge amid the sound of beating drums.

Cheers rang out across Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire as the sun rose over the "heel" stone at 4.58.

A few high wisps of cloud together with a low-lying mist added to the splendour of the dawn.

The all-night festivities at the ancient stone circle to mark the Summer Solstice passed relatively peacefully.

Wiltshire Police said at sunrise that there had been six arrests mainly for drink-related offences.

A force spokesman said: "Between 20,000 and 21,000 turned out for the Solstice festival."

English Heritage chief executive Dr Simon Thurley said: "There has been no trouble. People seem to have enjoyed themselves."

From 11pm last night until sunrise today, drummers transformed Stonehenge's inner circle into an open-air nightclub.

After greeting the rising sun, the mix of bleary-eyed people began making their way home from the site, which has drawn visitors for 5,000 years.

End extract <<

For pictures :: http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_g...186234,00.html

I think i'll have to go there for the Summer Solstince one year.

Of course for people in the Southern Hemisphere it's actually the shortest day of the year.

How long is "today" or daylight where you are in the world??

And before we get any smart *** comments saying it is 24 hours, i'm referring to the time between the rising and setting of the sun.

For myself here in North London, the Sun rose at 0440 and will set at 2122 [GMT +1].

Have you ever just....watched, the Sun rise or set and the moon egin or end its passage across the sky?

Does anyone here celebrate the Summer or Winter Solstice's or other seasonal events?

Any other Opinions?? or Comments?? about the events at Stonehenge or anything else.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-21-2005 at 09:03 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I guess I'm going to show my ignorance here, but I just don't see the reason that 21,000 people would gather for such an event. Is there some important symbolism that I'm missing?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I was thinking the same, Vito, but then I realised, they were not gathered because of the event, it was more just an excuse to have a party.

Hey... sounds like a good idea to me.

Now that makes sense, Jamie!!

(I'll bring the beer...)

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Well Stonehenge itself remains a bit of a mystery, but was built upon in different historical periods. More info here:
    http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.881

As for Summer Solstice, it is the the longest day of the year, i think this has always been the place to celebrate it in UK history and such celebrations certainly come from a strong Pagan background.
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.

I have always toiled over summer solstice. Yes, it's a day to "celebrate". But too often, I get caught in the pessimistic outlook - the fact that after this day, it's all downhill from here. The days start getting shorter!!!

Vito

Too true Vito, we haven't even had a summer here in the UK (Yes, this past weekend we had a mini heat wave/mini monsoon in North Yorkshire, but no long lasting sun). I am then told that is because we are not in summer yet, and that the summer solstice signals the start of summer.

Its a strange old World.

Look on the bright side though, we are now counting down to Christmas. I just know that will annoy a lot of you.

Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

It's the shortest day of the year in aussie. Damn cold too. I was hoping to have the house done before winter hit. Brrrrrrr.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I was thinking the same, Vito, but then I realised, they were not gathered because of the event, it was more just an excuse to have a party.

Hey... sounds like a good idea to me.
    Yeah, sounds like a good excuse to put on the jungle skirt, grab the bongo drums, apply some face paint, and go nuts.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Thanks for the links, Jim_UK. In the second link, I can now see/understand more of the history behind the celebrations.

Like other religious groups, Pagans are in awe of the incredible strength of the sun and the divine powers that create life. For Pagans this spoke in the Wheel of the Year is a significant point. The Goddess took over the earth from the horned God at the beginning of spring and she is now at the height of her power and fertility. For some Pagans the Summer Solstice marks the marriage of the God and Goddess and see their union as the force that creates the harvest’s fruits.
    Then again, based on the pictures shown in Critic's article, it seems many of them are just lookin' for a good excuse for a party (as has been already suggested).

Vito

From the photos it seems many of them are hippies (or as close as you get to hippies in this day and age). I should know all about this, I live just a few miles from what once was classed as the World's hippie headquarters (Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire for any hippies any there).

That paragraph that Vito posted does mean it makes a little more sense to me now.

Wow. I'm absolutely shocked that summersolstice.com is not a developed site. It's owned, but not developed.

I remember back when RadiStar owned timechange.com. Twice a year, if memory serves me well, Theo really capitalized on the surge of traffic he got from the clocks turning back and then forward.

You'd think they would do the same with the solstice name. Then again, it looks to be set up as a portal page. I guess the page could very well be loaded up with affiliate links.

Vito

Thanks to all those who provided links and answered Vito's and other questions.

A few things to point out from my point of view however. Although Stonehenge is the most well known monument or site of its kind in the British Isles if not the world, it is neither the largest nor oldest as i understand it. Such circular monuments or earthworks whether they invovle wood and or stone, along with the ritual and religion that surrounds them are almsot entirely unique to the British Isles [Great Britain, Ireland e.t.c.]

There are many prehistoric sites wich perforum a similar or the smae perceived role as Stonehenge all over Britain and Ireland. It is the unique style/structure of Stonehehge and its state of survivial to this day which causes it to be the big focal point of celelbreations at these times fo year. Well that's how i see it, i would add this slight "health warning" so to speak, in so far as i only have a genarl knowledge [heart felt interest nonetheless] of the subject as part of my wider passion for history, particularly 1,000 AD and earlier.

Having not been to Stonehenge at this time of eyar myself i base this only on what i believe to tbe the case and second hand info however, i don't think this is jsut an excuse to have a party, for many wbho attend there is a deep personal, ritualistic/religious reason for being there. As i beleive was stated in the article, it draws modern day Druids, Pagans, New Age Travellers as well as people who just feel they have to be there. Of course people let their hair down and have a good time and are cuaght up in the whole event, but that's part fo the experience and what goes on for hours of anticipartion.

I can understand why they were there.

Hippies? Well most were they certainly have a connection and view on hwo we shoudl coexist with nature. There's nothing wrong with that.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-21-2005 at 04:40 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I had forgotton about this in arizona and slept right from 6 pm to 10 pm. Perhaps, the next time around?