Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Opening my own GSP

Well, I've decided to open up a GSP with a partner and I had a couple things I wanted to ask....

What are your recommendations for service providers for level 3 LA.....

Do you need any sort of business license for this?

Any tips or advice ?

Are game control panels the way to go? I heard they are resource hogs... can I get some feedback thanks guys
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Opening my own GSP

Originally posted by pDflex
    Well, I've decided to open up a GSP with a partner and I had a couple things I wanted to ask....

Any tips or advice ?

Are game control panels the way to go? I heard they are resource hogs... can I get some feedback thanks guys
    Level3 is a good bandwidth. However, you may want to use other carrier as well and BGP them all together to get the best path. If you are targetting LA or nearby location, you probably will not have any issue at all. But if there are some people who want to join you and his network is not directly peered with Level3, they may find high latency and the gaming experience will not be as good as you'd like it to be.

Business license will be required per need basis. Depending on how you want your company structured. You can run under a trade name or DBA or sole proprietorship. You can then change it to LC or corp or s-corp when you need to.

In all market, there will be competition. As far as I learn, the gaming industry demands very low price yet high performance; a combination that is hard to find. You may want to determine your focus; performance or value. Some companies who focus on performance normally are priced higher, yet will attrack different type of customers compared to companies who focus on value.

I'd recommend you to find the business model that suites you most. You don't have to know everything, but you will need to know enough to start and learn along the way. Make sure that you are in business with the right people, because it will make a difference and will greatly influence the success of your business.

Wishing you all the best,
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Opening my own GSP

Any tips or advice ?

Unfortunatly, there is a lot more to running a GSP that just saying, "Hey, I've decided to...."

If you do a SEARCH you will see most of your questions have already been answered.

As someone pointed out, X-Gaming is a good resource, however, he runs a successful GSP and is likely tired of seeing the kid's run their fly-by-night GSP's in to the ground, taking whatever customers they had with them.

Best of luck.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

I have to agree with Rey. Find a provider who has Level(3) in their BGP mix along with major broadband peers so your customers have optimal low latency routes. You can also look at Mzima bandwidth which usually costs a little more than a L3 BGP offering but is a good option for Los Angeles.

A few searches will return quite a few colo or dedicated options for LA with great bandwidth options for a GSP.
      0 Not allowed!

well I chose to go with calhost... heard bad support but great network... willing to take a gamble since we are small time now. By per need basis you mean I don't necessarily have to have a business license?
      0 Not allowed!

You might want to search some of the threads in this forum regarding calhost. And consider doing more research on your own before going into business.. starting a company isnt something you decide to do, ask a few questions on a forum, and then jump into.
      0 Not allowed!

calhost? Well good luck with running a GSP with them...

If you're operating a business, you need a business license, as simple as that.

If you're local to California and just starting out I'd recommend you don't incorporate immediately, get a standard license such as a sole proprietor since incorporating in California is pricey and can be complicated if you haven't managed one before.
      0 Not allowed!

well I chose to go with calhost... heard bad support but great network... willing to take a gamble since we are small time now. By per need basis you mean I don't necessarily have to have a business license?
    A biz license is a good idea but you will probably be better off with a DBA (doing business as) you can pick this up on your county clerks website or by going down to your county clerks office (DBA's are like $10 in my state anyway, MI). Also grab a Federal tax ID from the IRS website so you can hire employees and such... Good luck with your venture and dont be a fly by night..
      0 Not allowed!

As someone pointed out, X-Gaming is a good resource, however, he runs a successful GSP and is likely tired of seeing the kid's run their fly-by-night GSP's in to the ground, taking whatever customers they had with them.
    I don't mind so much especially since for every GSP that goes under we gain a few extra customers.. And god knows this is becoming a daily occurance..
      0 Not allowed!

can you give me some advice X-Gaming? and if so is their any other way I can contact you?

another question.. Let's say I don't have employees but I got people that help me for free... is that a employee?
      0 Not allowed!

No offense pDflex but I really don't have time to tutor newbie's..
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    No offense pDflex but I really don't have time to tutor newbie's..
    The truth hurts sometimes. I think with all these questions he is not even close to ready for a business. I think next we will see him on the dedicated server tutorials "How to setup a game server"
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105
      0 Not allowed!

pDflex, from my speculation, I don't think you're prepared to jump into the GSP market. You should either do some more extensive research and write up a plan, or just forget about the idea at all and persue some more tangable business as the hosting industry does seem very saturated.
      0 Not allowed!

another question.. Let's say I don't have employees but I got people that help me for free... is that a employee?
    LOL!

I guess so

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

Oh great, you guys went and scared him away..
      0 Not allowed!

nah I'm here, It seems like I haven't thought this out ... but I have, and I'm not a newbie ... just had a couple newb questions.
      0 Not allowed!

nah I'm here, It seems like I haven't thought this out ... but I have, and I'm not a newbie ... just had a couple newb questions.
    The first step, is in fact, admitting you are a newbie. Asking the questions you are asking, it's clear as day. Don't lose anymore respect on the board by trying to play it off like your a veteran.

Everyone's advice is dead on, you are over your head and should spend a good few months investigating how to run a business. Put together a business plan and ensure you have the appropriate amount of funding to fund your business, for at least a year.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

The way your saying it is I don't know how to start off.... I know exactly how to start off. I've made sort of a plan and I asked newbie questions, but that doesn't mean that I am way over my head. I got a tech guy that is a so called 'veteran' that is going to help us.. I just wanted to learn a little by asking questions.
      0 Not allowed!

People who help for free are considered a liability. You're putting a lot of weight onto someone who has no obligation to stay with your company or to do the work you request of them.

Employees are people who are on payroll, those who work for free are known as charity workers or volunteers. In a business like GSPs, even thinking of having a volunteer staff for your core operations is 'newb' and I don't care how much of a veteran you claim your tech is.
    Shawn R. Lockheart
      0 Not allowed!

Locke, if you could pound the **** out of your 'liabilities' at school if they don't do it for free.... you wouldn't call them liabilities D:
      0 Not allowed!

and what's up with the rudeness factor in here? All I did was ask questions, not to let you guys take shots at me...
      0 Not allowed!

The fact you just mentioned at school also suggests you don't have the time to really commit to an around the clock business like a GSP.

Perhaps you should do a little growing up also, not trying to be rude, but paying your 'volunteers' by beating them up is not only the most ridiculous thing I've heard of a 'business owner doing' but would definately label you as a fly by night kiddie GSP.

Anyways, best of luck chump.
    Shawn R. Lockheart
      0 Not allowed!

ding ding ding , you LOSE AGAIN. I go to a home schooling, I live near a high school I used to go to... and I just used it to show you how they CAN'T screw me out of anything... since your so quick to assume.
      0 Not allowed!

The fact that your going to school at all - You should check whether its legal for a minor to be running a business in your state or province.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm 17 turning 18 soon, I guess I'll be legal.... plus my partners 18+
      0 Not allowed!

Wow ... congratulations! I'm glad that you can start early.

If I may say ... make sure that you guard your mind and decision. Put others before you and associate with people who are moving forward in life. Focus on your dream, be persistent and consistent, listen to the right people and I am sure you will be successful.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

thank you, first person who actually thinks I can go somewhere with this...
      0 Not allowed!

Judging by your replies, this is how I see it as far as a reality check goes.

Your planning to run a GSP on a sub par network with Calhost with a single server. The odds that the pings and quality of bandwidth will be good enough for any potential customers to stay with you are very remote.

Assuming paying customers do signup, as soon as they have problems they'll jump ship to another GSP with little notice, sapping your time, and likely put in quite a few chargebacks or credit requests.

You aren't old enough to register a business, not to mention just about every aspect of legally operating one, from taxes, to employees, to handling processing of payments, banking, etc.

How do you intend to accept payments? Do you have a business account with your bank (they will require a business license), do you meet the requirements for a merchant account for credit card processing?

What experience do you have yourself to act as a manager or sytem admin, nor does it appear you have a skilled employee(s) that can be depended on for setting up servers or supporting customers 24/7. Basing your business on "volunteers" and partners is just asking for problems.

How much time could you and your volunteers or partner honestly put in to run it full time plus after hours without conflicting with your studies, job, or just wanting to take off for the weekend or night?

Where's the funding coming from to cover any potential expenses for at least a year.

What are your plans for advertising? Do you have money budgeted for that? Key point is "word of mouth" is not a advertising plan for a new business.

Some of these comments may seem harsh, but they're all real concerns.
    Last edited by sshepherd; 06-22-2005 at 02:28 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I think you cannot proceed into this sort of endeavour until your of age - So you'll either have to wait or your friend will have to "take over" and bring you on as staff.
      0 Not allowed!

I got paypal.... I'll let my partner handle the business side.... why's everyone so uptight?

a 3.0 dual xeon 2 GB isn't good enough for you? How about me pinging under 10 to some of the GSP'S that use calhost? That's a bad network? Far as customers go, I can get a shitload. I have been playing cs for 3-4 years and I know most of the westcoast. It would be a breeze to get my name out on the west and then start expanding...
      0 Not allowed!

Yes I know that, but for the first 1-2 monthes we're probably not gonna go fetch after a license. I've talked to some GSP's and they have told me it's necessary when you start getting bigger... not right away
      0 Not allowed!

Really.. they probably don't feel they need to pay taxes on income either until they get bigger either.
      0 Not allowed!

dunno that's what they told me
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pDflex
    dunno that's what they told me
    Just basing your business off of other's isn't a great start either. Just because they're not legally operating a business because they feel they need to get bigger, doesn't mean you are entitled to do the same. Boy do I feel sorry for this partner of yours. Seems he's going to get a bite in the *** from your actions.

why's everyone so uptight?
    Everyone is just tired of the 'fly by night kiddie hosts' that persistently pop up. They're trying to save your *** because you seem to be going in that direction. Judging by your replies, you still have some growing up to do, and a lot more to learn in life. Perhaps 18 shouldn't be a legal adult age for you since it doesn't seem your maturity level has reached that of an adult yet.

a 3.0 dual xeon 2 GB isn't good enough for you?
    Just because you have a high spec machine, does not necessarily mean that servers hosted on it will perform well. It has to do with administrating the server also, and good judgement as to not overload. There is no need to flash your high specs.

How about me pinging under 10 to some of the GSP'S that use calhost?
    The keyword there is me. Just because you ping well there, does not mean that others will. Just from that statement, I would assume you have little to no knowledge about how networks operate. Please don't use a come back like "ooh, I configured my cable modem and router at home and I do this and that to it".

Far as customers go, I can get a shitload. ... It would be a breeze to get my name out on the west and then start expanding...
    That attitude just makes me think you're in it for the money. You are absolutely wrong. That is why people are trying to discourage YOU to not persue this as it's not a get rich quick industry. It's a lot of work and time that's required to pull in thin margins.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not even going to reply to you. I'll just let my gameserver company owning the **** out of yours do the talking... later
      0 Not allowed!

http://www.hyperspin.com/publicreport/17604/6625

I know it's a free service and anyone can fake uptime, so take the report for whatever value you place on them. But I think 100% uptime and 60ms pings from the east coast is slightly better than subpar. But that's me.

At least he's starting with a decent West Coast network. I don't have any opinion on the other aspects of his approach. Lord knows I wish more people listened to my opinions.

Sorry- just ran across this and had to chime in.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not even going to reply to you. I'll just let my gameserver company owning the **** out of yours do the talking... later

right like anyone will do business with a company that claims "we'll pwn the **** out of the competition! lolz!!!!!"
      0 Not allowed!

Interesting reply pDflex. You have a lot more growing up then I suspected...just do us all a favor and just concentrate on school.

Your replies imply that you don't deal well with people, which will be quite a problem, considering all day, you'll be tending to little kids and all their complaining. I think you'll end up chasing the majority of them away if you cannot even keep comments straight on this forum.
      0 Not allowed!

That's simply amazing, Yeah - I would suggest finishing school and then finishing more school (Post Secondary)
    Most likely someone of that stature is the one playing the games, Not running them. Business isn't a pissing contest - It's about who can deal with their customer load and offer the most optimal service to fit their needs. (For Starters.. Theres many books on the issue if you want to get indepth)

But I doubt you'd want to go through all that trouble - and just retire early, right?
      0 Not allowed!

Erm, CyanoX gave you an honest and truthful answer and you reply immaturely and pathetically, "owning" another persons company, if you stay in buisness more than 3 months then you have out lived my expectations.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast