Thread: LCD or CRT?

* LCD or CRT?

Greetings WHT!

I can't convince myself which monitor to buy. I clearly want a 19 inch monitor but still can't decide if I should go with CRT or LCD.

19 inch Samsung Dyna Flat CRT is about $170
    19 inch Samsung LCD is about $350

How's LCS for gaming?

I usually spend 8-10 hours a day programming, which one is better for eyes, any difference. I want to get all pros and cons and recommendations

Thanks!
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

CRT = Perfect for gaming and graphics.

heh thanks for quick input!

anyone else?

Null I don't know about you, but within the past 2 weeks I was able to pick up 4 (used) 19" CRT's all for less than $30 each. Gave 2 of my computers in the house dualies, and then went over and upgraded my parents house from 17"'s to 19's

Check out www.craigslist.org and watch it in your town or around your town for a while, and its summer time right now so you should have alot of garage sales/yard sales in the area... EVERYONE around here is selling their 17's/19's for LCD's and they are going dirt cheap..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

CRT causes your vision to go bad. LCD I believe is not quite so bad on the eyes. If you currently have 20/20 vision, then using a CRT a lot will not let you keep that. Also remember, a 19" LCD is like a 21" CRT. So if you get a 17" LCD it will be about the equivalent in actual screen size as a 19" CRT. CRT is better for gaming by far, unless you can afford a 12 ms LCD screen (expensive for a nice one). LCD's cause "ghosting" which appear to lag the game slightly, even though you actually might be experiencing no lag at all. LCD is better quality/picture though. It's more clear, and closer to HD.

Originally posted by JHosts
    CRT causes your vision to go bad. LCD I believe is not quite so bad on the eyes.
    Everyone makes that accusation, however I have yet to see anywhere any professional accredited doctor of any type support that theory let alone fact..

12ms expensive? You just have to spend more than five minutes looking for LCDs.

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Null I don't know about you, but within the past 2 weeks I was able to pick up 4 (used) 19" CRT's all for less than $30 each. Gave 2 of my computers in the house dualies, and then went over and upgraded my parents house from 17"'s to 19's

Check out www.craigslist.org and watch it in your town or around your town for a while, and its summer time right now so you should have alot of garage sales/yard sales in the area... EVERYONE around here is selling their 17's/19's for LCD's and they are going dirt cheap..
    Thanks for the website! I didn't know that my neighbors are selling 19 inch CRT , lol

Originally posted by DanX
    12ms expensive? You just have to spend more than five minutes looking for LCDs.
    I found one for $311

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001192

I have one CRT right now.. heats up the area by 10* at least, and eats up power. Four would be killer.

Is heat/size/power an issue for you, or just vision?

Check NewEgg.com.. $250 will get you a 17" LCD which will be the same size as your 19" CRT.

I hate heat, noise and size But CRT is giving a better picture quality. I guess I'll try LCD then ...

Everyone makes that accusation, however I have yet to see anywhere any professional accredited doctor of any type support that theory let alone fact..
    I've never checked for a professional confirmation, but from what I learned in high school physics, CRT includes bombarding atomic particles which will cause harmful radiation.

Besides, I always find LCDs more pleasing to the eyes.

I'll go for a LCD if I am spending more than 2 hours in front of a computer a day.
    New site: www.talkutas.com

i find LCD's to be much easier on the eyes when im doing any sort of coding, a CRT just strains my eyes too much.

Please note that I did not say 12 ms LCD's were expensive, I said "nice 12 ms LCD's" were expensive. Sure you can buy a crappy 17" 12 ms BenQ for like $300 or something, but to get a good quality one from a trusted name, it will cost a bit more. I had a BenQ, and I have more dead pixels on it than i've ever received in my whole life from quality LCD makers. And just for the record, i've never received a dead pixel on any Sony LCD, Sharp LCD, or Viewsonic LCD.

No dead pixels on my BenQ FP937s.
    --

Go with LCD... great for hauling around and saves room on desk. Can be a bit more expensive though.

The LCD may seem to cost more initially, but if you look at it this way, it might be a better buy. If all other things being equal, with an average daily usage of 9 hours,
    • the CRT may be out in about 5 years (with it gradually growing dimmer by the year),
    • while the LCD (capable of giving 50,000 hours of service) may easily last some 15 years?
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

Whatever you do, if you get an LCD, make sure it has DVI input (and make sure your video card has DVI out.) Otherwise you're wasting your money.
    Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

I’d have to agree with most of those above me – definitely go for the LCD screen; you won’t regret it. I still use a mix of LCDs and CRTs, and if given the chance I’d only use LCDs.

I have a 5 year old 17" Sony Trinitron Multiscan E200 CRT monitor. So far it still works well. The horror stories of CRT flickering haven't occured with this unit. Still, it is pretty heavy and bulky. One thing I do a lot of is tinkering with the brightness levels of my digital pictures. Have LCD monitors gotten good enough to compete with CRT's on that?

CRT have better colors , LCD with same good colors as CRT costs a lot of money (and i think there is only one from erm.... let me think LG? who fits in colors standard), i preffer CRT monitors ...

Originally posted by freak
    I've never checked for a professional confirmation, but from what I learned in high school physics, CRT includes bombarding atomic particles which will cause harmful radiation.

Besides, I always find LCDs more pleasing to the eyes.

I'll go for a LCD if I am spending more than 2 hours in front of a computer a day.
    The glass is heavily leaded to prevent radiation leakage. I believe the radiation output of a modern CRT is barely detectable at the front (surprisingly, perhaps, I believe it's significantly stronger at the rear). The fact that the glass is so heavily leaded is one of the things that makes disposing of CRTs a tricky environmental problem.

That said, unless you're a graphic designer, always yearn for a higher resolution, or are a hardcore gamer, I'd go with the LCD despite the higher cost. It's easier on your eyes because there's no refresh/decay involved; a pixel is either on or off, not fading for a few microseconds between refreshes. They're also clearer. On the list of downsides are much lower maximum resolution (1600x1200 is considered a low-end maximum for a 19" CRT, whereas most 19" LCDs are only 1280x1024), slower refresh time and much worse colour reproduction.

Originally posted by Trifolic
    It's obvious, you sit and stare at something that constantly refreshes at 60-70hz, it's not going to be good for your eyes, thats why higher refresh rate = better.

With TFT's refresh rates don't actually apply, as the pixels don't refresh unless they need to.

LCD's are more vibrant, and seem to last longer IMO. They're easier to lug around, and save alot of space on your desk.

If you're an avid gamer, it will help as well, as the refreshing is extremely clean and doesn't hurt your eyes. Of course, I haven't used a CRT that was made after 1999, so I wouldn't know about the new CRT's all too well.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Originally posted by Tulip-Dennis
    LCD's are more vibrant, and seem to last longer IMO. They're easier to lug around, and save alot of space on your desk.

If you're an avid gamer, it will help as well, as the refreshing is extremely clean and doesn't hurt your eyes. Of course, I haven't used a CRT that was made after 1999, so I wouldn't know about the new CRT's all too well.
    It doesn't matter whats "Obvious" because things aren't obvious anymore.. Show me FACTS Way back in the old west, if there wasn't a wittness to a murder, then no crime was committed even if it was "Obvious" so and so did it..

Originally posted by JHosts
    CRT causes your vision to go bad.
    I second that, have a read of this -

Health and wellbeing is much more important than gaming
    http://www.build-your-own-computers....-monitors.html

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I used to get extremely bad headaches with CRT.

Since switching to LCD I have been fine. I will never use a CRT for a prolonged period again.

Originally posted by mlovick
    I used to get extremely bad headaches with CRT.

Since switching to LCD I have been fine. I will never use a CRT for a prolonged period again.
    Same here. Fact or not there is a definate correlation that LCD = good CRT is bad. I don't need medical knowledge when I have personal experience. Plus looking at a CRT monitor drives me nuts now that I've gotten used to the LCD's
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

LCD is needed here since it really does help with the extra room on the desk but if you have a big desk and much unneeded room then CRT would be better deal especially for gaming though im loving my Benq LCD
    █• CirtexHosting • Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    █• LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    █• HostV VPS • Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    █• We transfer your sites over quickly! • I eat penguins for breakfast ...

get a CRT, they run on much higher resolutions.
    My 21" crt runs 1600*1200, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Looking nonstop at CRT is strainful to the eyes.

And during my university days when I had to rush on my project, I was programming nonstop for days. My vision after that was compromised.

It is not a scientific study, it could well be co-incidence.

If you are going to stare at monitor for long, I highly recommend LCDs.

Crt has the best and the prices are low, but if you want thin/flat moniters i would go lcd, i have not had one so i dont know how reliable they are, but i do want one, i have a laptop thats the closest thing i have gotten to lcd