Need help with FTP (Using Dreamweaver)

Greetings.

I just rented my first host and domain name, and I have been messing around with Dreamweaver's FTP but was without luck. Anyone know any good newbie tutorials around? I have never used a FTP and know little about anything concerning publishing a website; although, I wish to learn .

(A quick google search only brought Tutorials that sort of lost me at some point (Felt like I wasn't using the same program - might of been outdated tutorials I guess))

Help! And thanks

If you've already created your Site in Dreamweaver, you can choose Site -> Manage Sites and then choose the Site you've set up. From there you'll get to a dialog box that allows you to configure FTP.

Choose FTP as the method to manage your server.
    Enter the FTP address for your site. It can either be the IP your host gave you with your welcome e-mail or is usually ftp.yourdomainname.com
    Enter your FTP username and FTP password that you got from your host with your welcome e-mail.

That's really all the configuration you need to do.

Dreamweaver help is actually pretty decent and it even has a tutorial that loads when the program is installed.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

I click on test connection and it doesn't work

What should I enter as the folder? wwwroot?

I'll look at the Dreamweaver guides now though, but I think it's just something obvious that I don't understand

"What should I enter as the folder? wwwroot?"

You have to put the folder you will use, like public_html

What is the error you have ?
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

What is your domain? Is it skippycheval.com as it is shown in your screenshot? If so, looks like it is not registered yet.

http://www.whois.sc/skippycheval.com

In order to get the DW FTP utility to work for you, make sure the domain is registered, make sure the DNS has fully propagated, make sure you have the proper values to enter in the configuration (Host address, login, password, etc). You should find this all in your welcome email.

In terms of specifying a folder, it depends on which control panel you are using. The folder name could be public_html, it could be wwwroot, it could be httpdocs, etc. Again, it should be listed in your welcome email. Which control panel are you using? cPanel? Plesk? Ensim?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

You have to put the folder you will use, like public_html
    Thanks, I understand.

quote]
    What is the error you have ?
    [/quote]

That I can't connect.

Is it skippycheval.com as it is shown in your screenshot? If so, looks like it is not registered yet.
    Hmm, but Helm (The control panel, to answer the next question) shows this ; ; wouldn't it mean that my domain name is registered?
    Then again, in Helm there's a 'panel' that asks whether or not my domain is Activeo or Inactive (Or something like that), but when I choose active it goes back to inactive if I reload the window - but I think it's just for the search feature, I guess it's unclear )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...heval/Helm.jpg

Alright, I just bought the domain now with a different website but I'm still lost (It was half the price). I do have this window, which I guess is the door to my understanding?

Control panel for domain

Quote Originally Posted by Host Email
    If you are managing your own domain at another domain registrar, the name servers assigned to you are located in your control panel under the domain menu of the hosting account.

New domains are assigned to the following servers automatically:
    ns5.parcom.net - 69.90.236.105
    ns6.parcom.net - 69.90.238.106

If you are registering your domain with Parcom, this is all done for you.
    I looked around my host control panel (Helm, as mentioned) and I couldn't find a way to 'hook up' the domain, with the host.

But on the other hand, I was just able to work the FTP to the website, I used the IP address instead of ftp.skippycheval.com though, but I then looked at my control panel and it did in fact upload it.

So all I need now, which is somewhat irrelevant to the topic name and OP, is how to fix my domain name, and my host together

Thanks alot for the help guys

(Oh and I don't know where to view the page I uploaded too So I guess I need a domain name to view it online (Or for other users?) - anyhow - thanks alot.

if you are using the ip, the site can be view with

htttp://theipyouhave/~user
    http://www.empresasdehosting.com
    THE WEB HOSTING INDEX IN SPANISH
    http://www.empresasdehosting.net
    THE WEB HOSTING DIRECTORY IN SPANISH

Ah, thanks.

All I need now is to hook it up with my host - I know it's active (Shows up on Whois) but still nothing, I tried adding the urls I was given from my host, to the two empty boxes from my domain name CP still nothing though. Putting IPs was just not accepted.

I found a guide on Google and, I should be doing this right yet it doesn't work Does it take a few days before accepting the.. DNS they call it?

A lookup shows this for the name:
    ns1.abac.com 216.55.128.4
    ns2.abac.com
    ns5.parcom.net
    ns6.parcom.net

Of these, it would seem the first 2 were left in as an example of how to set up nameservers, not that they were real nameservers? You should have only the ones your host gave you, which I would assume are the last 2. Go back to the domain CP and remove the ones that shouldn't be there...
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Thanks for the help - I guess I'm kind of annoying by now :p

New Image

As you see, I tried just putting the last two and I get an error.

It seems they wish every line to be filled up, so I did this;

ns5.parcom.net
    ns6.parcom.net
    ns6.parcom.net
    ns6.parcom.net

And it's accepted. I'll wait an hour as they say, and see if that works

Sure...is your site black, with "mouse trails" following the cursor on it? If so, it's resolving properly from here.

Yes Strangely, it's not working for me. Are you connecting through www.skippycheval.com or..?

Hmm I asked a friend to look and he said it worked. Strangely, nothing for me. Hmm

And thanks alot by the way!
    Last edited by SkippyCheval; 06-22-2005 at 06:40 PM.

Yes, through the full domain name. Chances are your computer or ISP has cached (saved a copy) of the DNS that points to the old location. This should clear up in relatively short order.

Hmm still not working for me. I guess I'll see tomorrow.

Hmm and still - and my laptop won't connect either. So it's my ISP - How short is relatively short? :p

Depends on the ISP. Could be up to a few days.
    Are you on broadband? If so, try this:
    Click start->run and type "cmd" (no "quotes").
    When the DOS (dos-like, anyway) window opens, type this:
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Hit the enter key on the keybord.
    Type exit and hit enter again.

Try the site?

Originally posted by bear
    Depends on the ISP. Could be up to a few days.
    Are you on broadband? If so, try this:
    Click start->run and type "cmd" (no "quotes").
    When the DOS (dos-like, anyway) window opens, type this:
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Hit the enter key on the keybord.
    Type exit and hit enter again.

Try the site?
    I tried it, no success I do use broadband.

I'll just wait it out - I thought you meant like, a few hours so I was getting a bid worried but, since it's a few days, time is the only cure I guess.

Thanks alot for the help,