Question Whats the best thing to do/way to go about this?

We have a client who passed away.
    His brother contacted us, he doesnt want to keep the service or sites. He would like to close them (& not be charged) but at the same time the sites were membership sites. So there are members there too.
    Does he just pull the plug? Does he put "this site is closing in a week"?

He doesnt want to get billed anything more so for us the answer is to close the server etc.. but can he do that??

Thanks for any input everyone!

I would host the site for another month for free and give the members access to their membership. However, give them a notice that the site will be shutting down the following month. Now, if they paid for a year membership it may be a different story. However, from a moral and ethical stand point I would cancel the guys hosting with you to ensure he does not get charged again. I'm hoping you will do it out of respect at least. If the same were to happen to your brother or mother "knock on wood" "knocks" I am sure you would like the same for you.

That sure is a difficult one, Jeff. Personally, if it was me in this situation, I would put up a notice on the Websites saying due to unforeseen circumstances the Websites will be dismantled in X amount of time.

I would possibly give longer than a week, although it depends on how soon things need to take place.

I would then simply terminate the accounts on the server that belonged to your client.
    - Jamie Harrop

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I've already disabled the billing on the service. That just wouldnt seem right to me to bill on that.

The tricky part is the sites are a decent size and pull in decent traffic, while Im sure I can get away with keeping the sites up a while for things to get settled. I dont want to be kicked in the teeth for the bandwidth either.

First time Ive had to deal with this type of situation ever. Really blows..

It depends on what you want to do.
    How many members are we talking here?
    Regards

I dont know what kind of member base is on the sites. I just deal with the hosting end.
    I have heard from a few places that I should suggest that the relative sell the sites that way everyone stays happy.
    The sites stay live with someone to maintain them & even upgrade/do more work & the family member makes some extra $ on it.
    Which might be good too...?

You could always offer to take over the site, this would seem to be the best solution for everyone involved.

-His family would not need to deal with it,
    -People that had already paid for membership on this site wouldn't lose any money invested.
    -You might make some money and gain future customers by taking care of the situation for them.

This would be a good thing to give your staff when they have nothing better to do.

Make sure you get an ok for anything like this in writing.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

I have heard from a few places that I should suggest that the relative sell the sites that way everyone stays happy.
    The sites stay live with someone to maintain them & even upgrade/do more work & the family member makes some extra $ on it.
    Which might be good too...?
    Think just a little. You state that his brother just passed away. Do you think the next thing on his mind is to sell his brothers business and to top things off make some extra money? This is the last thing on his mind. I don't know about you, but if someone close to me were to pass away (knock on wood) the last thing I would want to do is business to make a "little extra money".

The member base for that site is not your concern. Nonetheless, if you wanted to take over everything that would be really nice, however, you are not obligated to. Do what you think is best for you and your business.

If it pulls that much traffic, google adsense might pay the hosting bills to keep it online if you are really trying to keep the site up. Not to sound heartless, but I would have shut the site down when the new owner decided he didn't want to pay the bill and wanted it shut down.

Unless the family gives you permission to modify the site do not post any "this site is closing" notices, under any circumstances. It's not your site.

Sure, it sucks for the members, but that's not your problem.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you