bandwidth primer?

Hi all -

I'm about to co-locate a server in Los Angeles and am reading as much as I can here

I understand 95th percentile and some basics, so I'm not totally lost. I am a quick study technically. I'm having a problem finding more info. on some things. Here's my situation:

I need to co-locate a single server right now (2U) for shared hosting. I'd like to think that I can find a facility where I can grow at, so I'd like to avoid some big mistakes. Balance that all with the fact that I'm trying to find a good deal and understand that nothing is for free (or if it seems to good to be true, it is...)

For cheaper bandwidth, it seems that I have a choice of two specific places that are quite competitive. One seems to be a better run company just from the fact that they are here in the forums, etc. So I think I might end up there. I'm going to visit each facility and take the opportunity to answer some questions, etc. and just get a general feel for the people there.

Okay, to the point: I understand that at least one of these facilities offers their cheaper bandwidth from Cogent (Aleron/Cogent?). I also see that Mzima is "premium" and costs quite a bit more.

Is there somewhere that I can get an overview of what bandwidth providers there are? Are those the providers or is there another reseller level between them and the colo company? I'm looking for an A-B-Cs of shopping for bandwidth. Any explanation of any metrics that I can use would be great. I'd love to know something other than "that's great bandwidth" and "that's garbage"...

Specifically I want to know more about choosing who my bandwidth comes from and things like why a particular data center is superior (has better bandwidth choices available to me) to another (600 W. 7th vs. 3550 Wilshire (& 1 Wilshire too)).

I can see that this is probably a very comlex determination but if there is some kind of primer or a particular thread (I've searched), the help would be greatly appreciated. Who knows, maybe this will become a sticky...

Thanks!
    d.

I'm not all that familiar with how bandwidth is calculated either. I'm used to just the fixed amount: ie - 50gb/month.

Actually my question isn't about the calculation. If you're interested in understanding more about that I think a good place to start is reading about 95th percentile. There are threads here or you can throw it in google:

"95th percentile bandwidth" yields these links among many more:

http://www.seanadams.com/95/
    http://www.dls.net/support/kb/index.phtml?id=159

Hope that helps. Anyone on my original post?

d.

This information is really scattered across the forum. If you have a specific city you want to be located in, I'd recommend doing a search for that city's name. You should be able to find more information about people's experiences in that particular city, and much of the information you are looking for about the individual data centers.

Good luck in your search.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Thank you for the reply.

I think I wasn't direct enough. Sorry, my main interest is bandwidth, not specific datacenters or regional info. I just gave a long back story that I think was confusing. My main question please is:

"I'm looking for an A-B-Cs of shopping for bandwidth. Any explanation of any metrics that I can use would be great. I'd love to know something other than "that's great bandwidth" and "that's garbage"...

Thanks again.

If all you're doing is webhosting, just about any bandwidth provider will suffice (so long as it's not grossly oversubscribed). Let the providers be competative, and work the prices down if you can. However, at 2U and a low commit, there's not much wiggle room in negotiation.

The main thing that may help you is being multi-homed via BGP. If your provider offers you transit from a single pipe (cogent for example), make sure it's still BGP'd so they can fail it over quickly to another if there are issues.
    bye

Thank you amps. Yes, the people I met with yesterday have BGP implemented and blending I believe three providers. I do understand that I have no wiggle rooom buying such a minimal amount of service initially. I guess what I want to understand (and your post helps a lot with a specific point) are things that I can look for when learning about their network setup that can allow me to make a reasonable decision as to what I'm getting.

Without info like your post re Border Gateway Patrol and adding up a few other key points it's easy to get lost in fluff: "We have redundant fiber that's no-carb, zero-calorie and air conditioned."

Thank you for the tip.

d.

Tell us how this goes for you dgoss. We have a rack in 3550 Wilshire and can attest to the service there.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!