My Experience with Donhost_co_uk

Hi All,

Just thought I'd post my opinion of Donhost co uk for you. As its my first post I cannot post URL's of other companies so they are obfuscated slightly.

I'm not affiliated in anyway with this company, and is my own personal view of this company.

The product I ordered was their Velocity (unmetered) 10Mb/Sec dedicated server 89.00 per month. No contract to tie you in which is great and no setup fee which is even better. There returns policy is also 100% (I have proof)

Order process was simple and the server was activated instantly. However, I did have to wait about 20 minutes for root access but this was fine. Other companies I have seen expect you to wait a few days, some I have seen take weeks to activate your server and this seems ridiculous so kudos to Donhost for their quick activations.

The server was running FreeBSD, not everybody's choice of OS but one that is used by the more hardcore of Internet admins. I would have preferred Redhat Linux but could have had Windows if I wanted. So if you are listening Donhost, I'd get some Linux servers in your racks.

Their control panel has been rated as very good but I found it to get in the way of how I configure my servers. I'm more of a hacker so the control panel was only used for configuring the name servers and adding users etc, everything else was configured using vim under SSH. The only bad thing is the way the IP Addresses are configured. I don't normally use dedicated servers, I prefer to do co-location and can configure my server the way I wanted and so didn't really know how thse dedicated servers work. So, my biggest problem was that I was issued with 2 IP addresses. I setup our DNS servers to point to the first IP Address and this it turns out was wrong, should have been the second IP Address I was issued with but couldn't find any documentation for this so spent quite a while figuring that out. The several support issues I asked were all dealt with pretty quickly, sometimes within minutes but a couple of times took a few hours. For the price I paid though, this was more than fine for me and definitely within the average of 24-48 hours some of the cheaper hosts permit.

As for the server, well it's connection is fine. I've not really given it that much of a hard time but seemed to always be there and seemed very quick. wget was fetching files at a rate one would expect from a server on a 10meg pipe.

Here are some pings FYI:

64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=17.3 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=16.8 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=16.8 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=17.1 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=17.0 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=16.6 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=6 ttl=53 time=16.2 ms
    64 bytes from ds859_dedicated_turbodns_co_uk (81_21_73_231): icmp_seq=7 ttl=53 time=16.8 ms

So, to sum up - As web hosts go, they are fine. No real major problems, connections are good, hardware seems fine, support works and the price is hard to beat. What more could anyone ask for?.

Kind regards,
    Andy Woolley - MD
    Milonic Solutions Ltd

North Yorkshire, UK