Question speed is slower outside the US ?

Most of my customers will be based in south east asia and I would like to get a reseller account from a US host but I'm in doubt because I notice some complains in WHT thread about the speed from people whose customers are in asia and their websites hosted in US servers. I want my customers be able to browse the websites without much delay.
    There are some local hosting companies who established their servers in the country and I'm afraid I can't compete if the connection is too slow.

Suppose that I got a powerful VPS/dedicated server with RAID-ed disk then is it about selecting a host with the right datacenter?
    I saw a thread saying that PowerVPS has better connection to asia than ServInt, but still I wonder how fast is it compared to server host in the country?

or it's just the fact that they are located too far away and there are too many hops (which means I should not go with a host in US if speed is priority)?

Your best bet is to go to different VPS providers or resellers and request a test file to download and also an IP to ping. If you do some research before purchasing you will be able to find the fastest one for you. It really depends on the network as to who will work best for you.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

There are several Data Centers in Hong Kong.
    Find a hosting provide with servers hosted in one of those Data Centers. This will ensure that your customer from Asia will not have
    problems with the speed.

Hello,
    There are several Data Centers in Hong Kong.
    Find a hosting provide with servers hosted in one of those Data Centers.
    That's correct. However there is no cPanel reseller/VPS/dedicated servers providers in Hong Kong. Most dedicated server providers only install the os for you. Moreover the price is usually much expensive than the US providers.

In fact most people in Hong Kong only trust the local famous and biggest ISPs and hosting companies. Therefore small hosting companies in Hong Kong are hard to survive if focus mainly on local market.

That's right one reason I like to choose US provider is because I could get a lot more features like cPanel and much more diskspace/bandwith for the same price.

Frankly what I would do is go with a good reseller provider such as Httpme or others on the West coast. Is there a reason you need a vps as opposed to a reseller account?

I didn't know that West coast providers have better connection to asia. Is it just because they are closer geographically?

I choose VPS as opposed to reseller because I want better performance and root access.

Originally posted by imagination
    I didn't know that West coast providers have better connection to asia. Is it just because they are closer geographically?

I choose VPS as opposed to reseller because I want better performance and root access.
    Right. A provider on the west coast will ping better from Asia than a provider on the east coast for example. However that also depends on the providers connections.

You won't get any better performance with vps compared to a decent reseller account with a knowledgeable and reputable host. That's a myth. (ducking the rocks coming form the vps forum) The only real benefit from vps would be root. And a lot of times unless you know what you are doing that ain't all it's cracked up to be either.

Another reason I choose VPS is I want to be able to resell to resellers. Although I've heard that some reseller accounts allow you to do that.