Mute drive-thru staff at McDonald's?

This sounds like a tabloid story, but I just heard it from a well known radio talk show host on Canada's largest radio station, telling us of his personal experience, so I give it credibility.

This past weekend, he went through a McDonald's drive-thru in Toronto to pick up 3 egg mcmuffin breakfasts. After getting onto the highway, his passengers opened up the bag to discover there were only 2 breakfasts. Determined to make things right, he turned back and returned to the restaurant. He drove through and ordered 1 breakfast. At the window, he politely explained the problem. The cashier ignored him and put her hand out for payment. He repeated his problem to her. She then pointed to her mouth and muttered "Mmm Mmm", signifying she was mute. After asking for the Manager, it was determined that the employee was faking being mute just to process the order.

Unbelievable. I just don't have any words to describe my thoughts on this incredible story.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

It's amazing what people do.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

it was determined that the employee was faking being mute just to process the order.
    huh? i dont get that part
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

How did pretending to be mute speed up the service time and make the process faster, I would have thought it would have made it go slower.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

The employee ended up speaking after the Manager showed up.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by effusionx1
    How did pretending to be mute speed up the service time and make the process faster, I would have thought it would have made it go slower.

Jord
    Hey, not for me to figure out what nonsense was going through that employee's mind.

Crazy stuff.

Vito

Re: Mute drive-thru staff at McDonald's?

Originally posted by vito
    She then pointed to her mouth and muttered "Mmm Mmm", signifying she was mute.
    That's a pretty low thing to do!
    HOST78 - Affordable and Reliable Canadian Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    TRY RISK FREE with our 15 day money back guarantee

She then pointed to her mouth and muttered "Mmm Mmm", signifying she was mute. After asking for the Manager, it was determined that the employee was faking being mute just to process the order.
    same thing happened to me at Arby's except he was saying that he can't hear. I finally screamed out "you have the 2 for $3 deal up and I want that, but he charged us $6 for 2 arby's beef and cheddars.I should of asked for the manager and tell them to get someone with hearing aids to actually listen to the customer than ignore them.

ignorance like this should cause the person to be fired.
    Kerry Jones

I can't imagine an employee like this lasting very long. At the very least, they should be assigned to garbage duty in the parking lot for minimum 12 months.

Vito

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    ignorance like this should cause the person to be fired.
    Erm... I don't disagree that this was a pretty low thing to do, morally, but how is what the cashier did "ignorant"? I don't think that's a correct word choice; perhaps irresponsible and immature would be better.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Erm... I don't disagree that this was a pretty low thing to do, morally, but how is what the cashier did "ignorant"? I don't think that's a correct word choice; perhaps irresponsible and immature would be better.
    When someone is trying to get what they paid for and the person is basically refusing to do so you do not find that ignorance?

faking a disablity is not cool.

Erm... I don't disagree that this was a pretty low thing to do, morally, but how is what the cashier did "ignorant"? I don't think that's a correct word choice; perhaps irresponsible and immature would be better
    It is a pretty low thing to do especially when it delays the person on where they need to be or costing them more money than they were wanting to spend. Its very ignorant thing to do because I have a feeling they're doing it to piss people off and one of these days their going to do it to my stepdad and he doesn't take this **** so lightly as he has yelled at employees for doing dumb ****.
    Kerry Jones

Hmmm...

Strange people think strangely. Will never understand them...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

8 times out of 10 they forget an item, be it the freakin sauce for the mcnuggets to a whole big mac. I double/triple check the order now to make sure it's all good before leaving, who's going to go back just for a big mac?. Also you have to see the kids face when you forget that bbq sauce, you end up having to drive all the way back for some sauce !
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

When these things happen, I often wonder whether it is the management that has told the employees to perform such a low act.

After all, what has the employee got to lose if you pay for the right deal or don't pay because a mistake has occurred, unless the employee is on a commission based wage then not much, so why not just accept the customer is right, the only reason I can think of is because they have been told not to by the management.

That is just my view on things, I assume then Vito, that the employee didn't ask you if you wanted fries with that.
    - Jamie Harrop

This is really low...faking a disability. People don't know what it is like to be in the feet of people with disability. A mute person would be offend because that would be like making fun of that person.
    This is why I always check my food to make sure I have something. If everything is missing, I let them know: not enough meat.
    Most wing at pop-eye rarely have any meat on it. Also the workers do not wear gloves.

Originally posted by indiaberry
    This is really low...faking a disability. People don't know what it is like to be in the feet of people with disability. A mute person would be offend because that would be like making fun of that person.
    This is why I always check my food to make sure I have something. If everything is missing, I let them know: not enough meat.
    Most wing at pop-eye rarely have any meat on it. Also the workers do not wear gloves.
    ya. sad to see normal people abusing this kind of disability.
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

Maybe she didnt speak good english or something...

I love mcDonalds... too bad its really hard to order sometimes
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>