Do not host with *******.com!

Okay, so a while ago I posted about how good *******.com was... well after thinking it over... I don't think they really are... and after recent events have transpired.

First of all the ad for the server reads this:

Intel P4 2.4 Ghz
    1 GB Ram
    160 GB IDE
    1800 GB B/W

Now, although stupid on my part, I did not ask the guy if there was any restrictions on the bandwidth. I assumed 1800GB was 1800GB. Come to find out, it's only 900 Up and 900 Down. Still not too bad for 150$ a month.

Okay not a big deal really... atleast their technical support is good (I had a problem like the first day and they fixed it quickly).

Well I call them back and ask if it's possible to expand the amount of users on Windows 2003 server at a time. The guy says, "If it is you'll be able to do that yourself from your admin account. You'll have to check the windows website though to find out about that."

Okay... whatever that's cool. So I call back the next day to inquire about having my Operating System changed to Fedora (since I just bought a book on it), no one answered so I left a messege.

Four days later.... after 3 messeges, no phone call.

Why don't you call them yourself to verify if they received your emails? They have phone numbers listed on their web site.

Regards,
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

Windows licensing (presumably what you're in need of to increase your amount of users on the Windows server) is very pricy. Follow up with them via the telephone to set them straight. They'll probably whack you with a fee to install another OS though.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

He said he called several times and left messages on their machine. I dont even see where he mentions email, but it could just be me.

Oh .. sorry missed that part.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

A little bit of an update:

When I sent in a cancellation request I got an e-mail from them. They basicly told me my messeges got lost, which I said is understandable. They also asked if I was unhappy with them (because I filled out a request for a new host), and I explained to them other than the incident their service was great, but I was also mislead to the bandwidth, and he said he'd set my account to where I can have 15000GB up and 900 down or something along those lines (had just woke up when he called)

Either way, when push came to shove they took care of things and made it better... but we'll see how it continues

Did ******* offer full management for your server? If not, then it's not up to them to help you setup more people connecting to the server (which btw are known as CAL's) And as crnc said, it IS VERY expensive to add more CALs to the server. Something like $100 for 5 more, or along those lines. Did you try e-mailing them, contacting them on AIM/IRC, or even *gasp* submitting a support ticket Sometimes leaving a message (which are usually for sales staff) doesn't get it to the right person. And you need to use the system they already have set up for things like that. Best of luck, ******* did a fine job for me when I was a customer of theirs. Thank you.

If this is a hosted web box, CAL's will be available under SPLA so it's not much of a hit in the pocket. It also depends what the CAL's are for (domain clients, exchange users, sharepoint users etc).

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

If this is a hosted web box, CAL's will be available under SPLA so it's not much of a hit in the pocket. It also depends what the CAL's are for (domain clients, exchange users, sharepoint users etc).
    Actually it can get to be very expensive. You need to jump from unauthenicated to authenticated and that is a big jump in price.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Re: Do not host with *******.com!

Please tell me the thread starter is not actively conducting business, the logic here is childish at best.

******* is OK, contact Jimmy, and I'm sure he will look into it

godenn, the logic that I pay for support, and have to call 4 times, send in a ticket, and e-mail them twice, until I finally get a return e-mail after sending in a cancellation request is childish?.....

Sorry but I see that as a good reason to be quite upset... and to forewarn others about the service. And when I finally did get a hold of them and got things settled, I posted that it was settled.

As far as I am aware that's mature.

I have a question about the bandwidth. When you get a dedicated server and they say 1600GB bandwidth is it assumed that it is 1600 up and down or 800 up and 800 down. It seems like most people say theirs is 800/800. Is this standard procedure now? Does 1600 really mean 800/800?

The best advice is contact who ever your web host is and ask them directly. There's no standard as far as I know.

Originally posted by drew145
    I have a question about the bandwidth. When you get a dedicated server and they say 1600GB bandwidth is it assumed that it is 1600 up and down or 800 up and 800 down. It seems like most people say theirs is 800/800. Is this standard procedure now? Does 1600 really mean 800/800?
    I know this is in a way related to the thread but please in future open your own thread to ask this kind of thing.

To answer your question: No this is not always the case with all providers ...
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Usually 1600 bandwidth would mean upload+download. Thats the way most providers seem to do it. If a particular provider doesn't they should post that info in their ad.