Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much can 1 server hold?

I am curious,

How much can one server hold before you need to get another one.

For example:

500 Total accounts (each account about 200 MB Space) with a GB bandwidth each
    And about half of those accounts using a MySQL data base.

What server would I need to make sure it keeps running smoothly and efficiently. Would a P4 do it? Or would I need AMD, Xeon etc.

Thanks

It's impossible to answer this question. If you do a search here you'll see it's been debated countless times.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Re: How much can 1 server hold?

Originally posted by MegaGeo
    I am curious,

How much can one server hold before you need to get another one.

For example:

500 Total accounts (each account about 200 MB Space) with a GB bandwidth each
    And about half of those accounts using a MySQL data base.

What server would I need to make sure it keeps running smoothly and efficiently. Would a P4 do it? Or would I need AMD, Xeon etc.

Thanks
    It really depends. Every different server can hold different amount of account
    tanfwc

Yes, but anyone give me an example of a server that could hold that much?

I am trying to figure out some basic specs for a server I am getting in a month or so.

As previously mentioned it's impossible to say. What if one of your customers starts running a very busy forum? It's not just about disk space or bandwidth but also other resources such as CPU usage.

It really depends,
    -Server component
    -The kind of Website
    -OS
    -more...

I can either host 1 really big MySQL site or 2000 static HTML websites or somewhere in the middle? There is no easy answer to your question

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

This works for us... our base is 300 websites per server, after that we move on to another server and monitor the old one (load, RAM and drive usage, etc.)... if it works well, we go back and install another 50-100 accounts on it, and process goes on... usually 30% of disk space is also free for accont upgrades, etc.
    There are 3 kinds of people. People who can count and people who can't.

How large are your accounts on average, and how much Bandwidth do you give?

I am thinking something along the lines of

200 MB space
    1.5 GB bandwidth

300-500 accounts per server. Think it would run well?

Depends. Are they all static sites? Are they PHP and MySQL resource intensive sites? It all depends on this, and I don't think you can exactly say "There is room for 25 more customers that will use PHP and MySQL" Every box is different, and it is all different based on the client base, target market, the make up of it all in general.

You can't exactly predict this

Hope this helps.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

As said abvove this question is a regular it all depends on you, Do a search for it, Some hosts have more on one server than others. If your charging reasonable prices you should be able to keep servers quiet and not overload them, If your charging $1 for 1GB then its likely it will become real crowded.
    All the best

Guys, lets give him a rough idea...

275 - 350 accounts with 200MB / 1GB.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

A Pentium IV with 2 GB of RAM would handle it. But not without server administration...

But you did limit the account type: 200 MB space and 1 GB data transfer.
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Originally posted by INTEL
    This works for us... our base is 300 websites per server, after that we move on to another server and monitor the old one (load, RAM and drive usage, etc.)...
    Yep, and that backs into your biz model regarding your revenue per server, and what you need to make your model work. It's a tricky balance, but you get the feel of it after a while. Having a business plan also helps, but that's another discussion.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by CSDesk
    Guys, lets give him a rough idea...

275 - 350 accounts with 200MB / 1GB.
    Thanks for being the first person to give me a quote

Yeah, business plans can be a pain but I am trying to get through one. Hopefully I will have the whole thing figured out before I buy the server or VPS.

It's hard to give an accurate quote. Its better to underload than overload in my opinion but some people might have a different idea.

A dual Opteron 252 with adequate ram and good hard drive array will handle 500 average sites without a blink.
    AfterNorth Innovative solutions for tomorrow, today.
    0spam.org AntiSpam for Service Providers
    DotNetInvoice Online Billing Solutions
    Professional Services Since 1996

What do you think of a

Dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz
    1 GB Ram

Ram can be upgraded if needed, think that would handle it well?

Sure! But do you already have 500 clients? How many new clients do you get per month? Are you going to put all the eggs in the same basket?

We're using Dual Xeon with SCSI and RAID 5. But we started with a Celeron. We couldn't afford a Dual Xeon. We got +- 15 new accounts on our first month. That doesn't pay a Dual Xeon!!!

A business plan is a very important tool!
    Lookup your IP: snoopmyip.com
    Proxy Guide: proxyspot.com

Yep. But it's actually a VPS running on those server specs. I found it would just be easier to start with a simple VPS, no worries about security etc., and them move my way up to something like a P4.

Viruizzo is a blessing so we can move to that p4 or dual xeon any time we want with only 5 minutes down time.

And yeah, i definitely need to finish working on my business plan

Don't think just because it's a VPS that it's "no worries about security". The only difference is that the kernel and some other things are taken care of, but you still need to take care of other things
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Oh, I definitely know that. The main reason is funding, but a VPS is always a nice place to start with, especially if something goes wrong they dont have one person bitching at them, but the 4 other people who have VPS's on that server

Also, I am going to use Zend and many other programs for protection.

Alright, I just wanted to make sure you knew it didn't run itself I mean, don't get me wrong, a VPS is a great start for learning about server administration. I wish you luck in your new venture!

Wow, I really wish Zend would help me protect my server too! (Zend doesn't help with anything it doesn't even work well for optimization!)

You might want to hire someone to lock down that VPS, IMHO.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I know a few people with a lot of exp. or I may just ask for a Tech. I know the owner of the company

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast