Mediatemple - Problems..

Hello all,

After hearing the good reviews, etc about Media Temple, I decided to give them a shot, I submitted 1 ticket on the first day of the service - no response, however I eventually fixed it myself. Now, I have another problem. (Getting a php error related to the php.ini settings on the server when upgrading to a new version, meaning my forums are stuck with a big error message at the top only half installed).

I contacted them 6 hours ago - I STILL DON'T HAVE A RESPONSE!

Considering the price of the service, they should atleast offer some half good support via their help desk. I'm not prepared to phone them due to the fact that I'm not willing to pay (over-seas) to get this fixed. They should be checking their helpdesk.

Has anyone else had problems getting responses from their '24/7' helpdesk?

I suspect there 24/7 helpdesk means its avaliable 24/7, but there isnt always someone watching it.

Well, 6 hours on a 24/7 helpdesk is unacceptable in my opinion - especially when there's no live chat option to check up the status of the ticket. It's quite frustrating, I'm sure.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

They use phpSuExec, I bet that's why you have issues with PHP.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Yes, their PHP is O.T.T. and at the end of this billing period I'll be moving to a new host. They have safemode on and all sorts of other things meaning literally the only thing achievable in php is
    Code:
    <?php echo "hello"; ?>
    To be honest I expected more of them. Their site in places goes on about the 30 day money back guarentee too.. I can't find anything anywhere to cancel my account for a refund in the account manager!

They usually respond to me within 24 hours; so wait it out a bit more.

I've heard really good things about them. Did you try calling them?

Originally posted by douglash
    I've heard really good things about them. Did you try calling them?
    I'm in the UK, calling them would be expensive. If they have someone at the phones 24/7, surely they have a PC in front of them for refreshing the support desk too. Their plans arn't exactly the cheapest either.

Oh great! I finally got a reply - look how helpful it was.. He obviously has no clue what he's talking about.

| THIS IS A ONE-WAY EMAIL NOTICE ONLY.
    | PLEASE USE THE ACCOUNTCENTER TO RESPOND.

You can not change the memory alotment in your php.ini file, this is a set alotment that we can not change. If you should have any further inquiries regarding your (mt) Media Temple service, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Best Regards,
    Customer Support
    (mt) Media Temple
    <v> 877-578-4000
    <f> 818-301-2774

----------------------------------------------------
    During the course of support you may respond or update this request in the AccountCenter at the following URL:

Please note, this email is a one-way notification that your support request has been updated. All communication with the support staff is handled directly online through the AccountCenter web interface. Should a new unrelated support issue occur during the progress of this request, please open a new separate request inside the AccountCenter.
    ----------------------------------------------------

You can not ask to change any server settings in shared hosting, you can not ask to turn safe mode off, you may look for VPS and do whatever you want.

Again, if they don't have live chat, then they should have their attention fully on the helpdesk without many distractions I would think. Many hosts that do not have live chat boast 15 minute response time guarantees - I wouldn't think it be hard to deliver that if that's a main channel of support.

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

What is the exact error you're getting on the forum? If it's memory related then I doubt it's connected to safe_mode. Most forums will work fine on safe_mode.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Heya NexDog, I was upgrading to Vbulletin 3.5 Beta 2 . The language install bit needs more than 8mb memory. I managed to fix it in the end with .htaccess (when I asked for a refund they forwarded the request higher up support where he gave me a good answer).

All sorted now anyway.

Yep, I was going to suggest manipulating php settings with .htaccess. Glad you worked it out and hope things improve after a somewhat rocky start. I think you'll be in good hands.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability