Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Final review of ServInt

hi,

I have been hosted by ServInt for about four months now, and thought I'd give a final review. Final, because I'm moving to PowerVPS.

ServInt is really a great company; support is fast, helpful, etc. I've said this many times before. The problem I've been having recently is with their network. The other day we had nearly 40 minutes of downtime due to some glitch in the core router. They worked hard to get everything back up, which is commendable. It's just that there have been a few too many issues for me to be comfortable with.

I've heard nothing but good things about PowerVPS, and know a few people who have VPS's there, so I decided to give them a try. I sent in some sales questions last night, at about 1:00 in the morning, which they promptly responded to, and they were very helpful. Their knowledge base is very helpful as well.

Anyway I signed up today, and am now just waiting for that account to be set up. In the coming weeks, I'll be transferring all of our clients over to the new VPS.

Note: None of the comments above are meant to criticize ServInt. They are, as I said, a very great company, but, in my opinion, need to work out a few issues, and improve their network a lot.

I'll post a review about PowerVPS in a month or so.

That's just how a feel. ServInt isn't the best in terms of their network. PowerVPS has one of the best networks out there with all completely direct providers. I love the Telia bandwidth!

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I'll probably move from Servint only because I need and am looking for a good low cost host for a dedicated solution.

That said, I will say that time with Servint has been amazing. Support (especially phone) is fantastic. Uptime has been superb. I too was very annoyed by recent downtime until I realize what a whiner I could become when spoiled with such excellent service. Unfortunately this is true -- the better, uninterrupted service you receive the more you will notice and become insanely annoyed with minimal downtime. Don't get me wrong and I don't want to minimize 40 minutes. But with all the providers I was with, if I had a total of 2-3 hours downtime per YEAR, I really should be jumping for joy.

Another thing. For the most part I find that if anyone thinks it's truly better elsewhere if they are getting at least 99.5% uptime, then they are kidding themselves for the most part. Migration alone would kill time and I for one would prefer to stick with what has really worked quite well for a while.

No doubt I was annoyed what happened this month (and outage as we speak) but still, their numbers are rather impeccable in the industry and at the cost they are, all around, downright unbeatable. I am in no way affiliated with ServInt and am a former VenturesOnline customer. I'd even go so far as to say that I may have even a better experience at ServInt than I did at VO, even when it was at its peak.

Originally posted by elix
    That's just how a feel. ServInt isn't the best in terms of their network. PowerVPS has one of the best networks out there with all completely direct providers. I love the Telia bandwidth!

Thanks,
    They do have some great transit providers, take for example BTN, their MPLS routing is very nice, take for example:-

Note thats only one hop direct over their network.

Code:
    H:\>tracert www.powervps.com

Tracing route to powervps.com [205.177.13.44]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fe3-dist1.dur.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.169.81]
      2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fe2-core2.dur.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.169.99]
      3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  fe1-access1.lon.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.175.94]
      4    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  213.130.138.65
      5    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  cr02.ldn01.pccwbtn.net [195.66.224.167]
      6   100 ms    99 ms   100 ms  www.powervps.com [205.177.13.44]

Trace complete.
    Telia transit is also very nice stuff too, Europe wise they're the best in the game .
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    They do have some great transit providers, take for example BTN, their MPLS routing is very nice, take for example:-

Note thats only one hop direct over their network.

Code:
    H:\>tracert www.powervps.com

Tracing route to powervps.com [205.177.13.44]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fe3-dist1.dur.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.169.81]
      2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  fe2-core2.dur.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.169.99]
      3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  fe1-access1.lon.uk.razorblue.com [82.163.175.94]
      4    12 ms    12 ms    13 ms  213.130.138.65
      5    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  cr02.ldn01.pccwbtn.net [195.66.224.167]
      6   100 ms    99 ms   100 ms  www.powervps.com [205.177.13.44]

Trace complete.
    Telia transit is also very nice stuff too, Europe wise they're the best in the game .
    Nice transit there, Dan!

ServInt actually has BtN & DTag but that's all they have making United States west coast & Asian transit quite slow.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

slinky, you do have a point, but I feel their network has been unacceptable lately. There have been several instances of extreme latency, in addition to the downtime the other day.

As an update, my first day with PowerVPS went well. I've asked them many, many questions, all of which were answered promptly, and they even installed a couple of things for me. One neat thing is that we can have APF here.

I'm getting almost the same results:

1 53 ms 9 ms 12 ms 10.10.64.1
    2 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms c47216-017.comsat.com.co [200.47.216.17]
    3 122 ms 48 ms 95 ms 200.91.228.129
    4 12 ms 14 ms 12 ms cobognocjm20x1a.ifx.net.co [200.91.200.193]
    5 96 ms 96 ms 114 ms pos5-3.cr02.vna01.pccwbtn.net [63.216.0.42]
    6 123 ms 123 ms 119 ms g6-0.br1.iad2.servint.net [63.218.97.138]
    7 119 ms 116 ms 136 ms so-1-1-0.br1.iad1.servint.net [209.50.254.246]
    8 118 ms 123 ms 127 ms www.servint.net [209.50.251.77]

1 19 ms 9 ms 8 ms 10.10.64.1
    2 44 ms 9 ms 8 ms c47216-017.comsat.com.co [200.47.216.17]
    3 27 ms 11 ms 34 ms 200.91.228.129
    4 11 ms 13 ms 13 ms cobognocjm20x1a.ifx.net.co [200.91.200.193]
    5 101 ms 110 ms 101 ms pos4-1.colo01.ash01.pccwbtn.net [63.218.44.61]
    6 127 ms 100 ms 100 ms www.powervps.com [205.177.13.44]

Not too bad...

Apolo,

Personally I wouldn't judge network performance based on a traceroute or two.

Theres a lot more to it than that, sure it can uncover some "upfront" issues but downtime, mismanagement, etc. all adds up.

That said both servint and powervps are great companies and hopefully they both continue to improve.

David, who said I was judging network performance?

I was just posting my results to contrast them with Dan's results, not no say one network is better than the other one.

Regards,

Their both using BtN. But, PowerVPS has a more diverse netwok than ServInt which is mostly single-homed except for the failover D-TAG.

Thanks,

*sigh!*

My VPS's host node is currently offline at ServInt. Already been 18 minutes.

The clock is ticking, ServInt. If this is longer than 1 hour, I'm leaving completely + their *not* holding me to 30 day cancellation regardless of what the contract says because this is just stupid on their part.

Thanks,

Update: Still offline.

Update: Still offline.
    I don't see any "outage" post at the Providers and Network Outages and Updates forum regarding ServInt network.

Are you sure you're not the only one affected by this issue?

The entire host node was down which affects approx. 30 clients.

Thanks,

Hey! Your web site is back online!

Originally posted by Apolo
    Hey! Your web site is back online!
    Yes, it is.

www.medialayer.com >> That was up this whole time. (PVPS)

Thanks,

Back down!

:-P

Back down!

:-P
    Opss...

Did they give you the reason already?

Opss...

Did they give you the reason already?
    Yeah, hardware bad...

I'm stil down RIGHT NOW, tho.

Thanks,

Yeah, hardware bad...
    So your whole node is down...

Any ETA?

So your whole node is down...

Any ETA?
    I'm back.

Thanks,

Glad to read it!

P.S.: I'm sorry, ZapX Technologies, for hijacking your thread...

hi,

Oh, it's no problem. Not much more to report here than I did the other day; things are still running perfectly.

Originally posted by ZapX Technologies
    slinky, you do have a point, but I feel their network has been unacceptable lately. There have been several instances of extreme latency, in addition to the downtime the other day.

As an update, my first day with PowerVPS went well. I've asked them many, many questions, all of which were answered promptly, and they even installed a couple of things for me. One neat thing is that we can have APF here.
    I haven't seen anything unacceptable and notice that problems do arise between the time traffic leaves their network and gets to me. That happens everywhere. I do agree with you that there were a bunch of instances of downtime but, like I said, just wait until an anomaly happens at PowerVPS. I haven't had one instance in a long time... until now at ServInt. I'm not just yet ready to pull the trigger and things have stabilized recently and I think are back to normal. My move will only be related to my need to find a dedicated machine.

My thoughts are these: If you experience better than 99.5% uptime you're doing pretty well. If you're doing better than that (18 minutes is far better than that) then you're still doing quite well, especially at that price point and support level. I can talk to someone on the phone 24 hours a day. Want that kind of support, uptime and guarantees? You'll be paying a LOT more, that I can tell you. Everything is a trade off...

i want 100% network uptime...GUARANTEED

Billiam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast