Above The Clouds

Up to 40m credit cards 'hacked'

Bring the misery:

A computer hacker may have broken into more than 40 million credit card accounts, US company officials say.

MasterCard International said the breach was traced to a company in Atlanta which processes transactions for banks and merchants.

All brands of credit cards could be affected, it warned.

The company, CardSystems Solutions, said it identified the breach last month and immediately contacted the FBI, which was investigating.

MasterCard announced the breach in a news release on Friday, saying security "vulnerabilities" had allowed an unauthorised individual to infiltrate the network of CardSystems and access the cardholder data.

It said 14 million of its customers may have been exposed to fraud. Another 22 million were Visa cards, said a spokeswoman for the Visa company.

MasterCard spokeswoman Sharon Gamsin told the Associated Press news agency the data - names, banks and account numbers - could be used to steal funds, but not identities. The company was notifying banks that issue MasterCards.

In its own press release, CardSystems Solutions said it had identified a "potential security incident" on 22 May and contacted the FBI a day later.

The company said it was installing extra security procedures.
    I hope this doesn't mean an increase in fraudulent orders....
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

There is already enuf fraud and stolen credit cards, I guess another 40 million doesnt add to much more. Just have to be always alert when dealing with credit card payments online.

I just called and get my bank to re-issue my card
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

This is terrible!

Hopefully this will show the need for a more secure credit card system like the pin numbers coming into the scene. At least then all that needs to be done is a re-issued pin.
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

40 million! that's alot of cards. just 1 dollar from each card , will be enough for us to retire.
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

Bay Area
    Haha. Does that mean you welcome fraudulent orders?

Im goin to keep track of my cards, i dont want to loose sh** and i hope that they catch things before people get their hands on the #'s

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    Im goin to keep track of my cards, i dont want to loose sh** and i hope that they catch things before people get their hands on the #'s
    its always good to hear from a criminal about these things. jk
    There are 3 kinds of people. People who can count and people who can't.

Here & There
    The Visa/MC does not give a sh*t, they still end up making money stolen or not. If merchant refunds a stolen cc, they keep the discount fees. If CC is charged back they keep fees + chargeback fee (about $30). Bottom line is, the merchant always ends up being screwed from both ends, by fraudster and by the CC company.

Castle Pines, CO

You might want to check out the Shadow Crew case. Google-ing for that name will bring up at least 14,000 results.

We're now talking about cybercrime, not just about fraud. During the past few years simple hacking and carding turned into a real cybercrime factor.

I seriously doubt that one person can and will do so much damage. There such cases, of course, but only a few. Nowadays, cyber criminals are organized into very well developed organizations, and some Secret Service officials state that these organizations are built much similar on the "cosa nostra" model.

I would be much more carefull with these issues, rather than to a small fraud.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli