Best DoS protection?

I am wondering what the best Denial of Service protection there is. As in, what can I do to safe-guard my data, especially if I choose an unmanged server or VPS.

I want to keep myself, and my clients safe from down time and any sort of data loss.

Thanks.

By far the best thing to protect from DoS attacks and other forms of attacks is a seperate, hardware firewall. I can fully recommend Netscreen and Fortinet firewalls. Just google for either of those names.

There is much more requried than just a firewall to protect you against DoS/DDoS. Althought Netscreen and Fortinet both offer some form of DoS/DDoS protection - on all their models, the entry level firewalls will easily succumb to DoS/DDoS traffic. The higher-end models are more expensive.

I suggst you take a look at the 3541 series (in the used market) from TopLayer, or otherwise look at the TopLayer IPS-5500-50 Model with is Fast Ethernet). An IPS 5500-50 ought you run you monthly at about US$850-1100 (depending on your contract committment).
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

Well, if you want a dedicated server just go for www.staminus.net which excels in DoS protected servers.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

doesn't say much on their website regarding scrubbing of dos/ddos traffic!
    "I drink too much. The last time I gave a urine sample it had an olive in it. ".
    Rodney Dangerfield (from "I Get No Respect!").

take it from me and others, staminus has advanced filtering techniques they even allow customers to put in custom rules now which go live almost immediatly.
    Chris Collins
    Hostingfreak.net
    Directadmin Hosting in europe
    www.hostingfreak.net

I would say. NetSecreen should be the best.