how to tell if it is a reseller?

How can you tell if a webhost is a reseller?

And how do I find out who they're reselling from?

Thanks.

It's hard if done correctly. You can try to reverse resolve the IP's and if the reseller does not have private IP's, it could show. You can also try webhosting.info. Beyond that, it gets technical

Usually if you ask on here people can try to help, and they're good at it .. take it from me
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Just do a Whois on one of their IP numbers. It will tell you who 'owns' the IP range - and resellers will not have their own range.

Neither with dedicated owners, or colo owners have their own range sometimes. So thats not the best advice.
    It's Scott!

Either will regular hosting companies MarkJones2004... Just because I purchase from CRNC.net does not mean I'm CRNC.net Just because people purchase from The Planet doesn't mean they are The Planet

Most host's don't have their own IP blocks (as in ownership).

Edit: Camers beat me to it.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

The hosting companies I've used have their own IP ranges with RIPE. I suppose it's possible for a genuine host to be using their upstream providers IPs though.

Send them an email to their support desk - the kind with an automated response - and check the mail headers that are returned
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Ask them, in all probable case they will tell you.
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Just ask them directly... most honest hosts will tell you!
    HOST78 - Affordable and Reliable Canadian Web Hosting and Domain Registration
    TRY RISK FREE with our 15 day money back guarantee

Originally posted by HOST78
    Just ask them directly... most honest hosts will tell you!
    Most, not all. I can think of one or two companies that really hide their customers well.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

I personally find that http://www.dnsstuff.com is a great site for doig this sort of thing. You can tell right away from using the many diferent types of look-ups there.

In some cases, they cant do such things like chown. Some of my customer cant access their auto-install Mambo modules because files owned by nobody. They ask me to change it into their user. I think reseller cant do that
    Best Web Hosting in Indonesia
    http://www.rumahweb.com

Cool

Originally posted by MarkJones2004
    The hosting companies I've used have their own IP ranges with RIPE. I suppose it's possible for a genuine host to be using their upstream providers IPs though.
    To "buy" your own range of IP addresses is enormously expensive. Only huge companies will spend that, there is no reason. It is very common for a host with dedicated servers to have IPs which are part of a large "block" owned by an upsteam provider.
    Bad advice IMHO that would knock out lots of providers who are not resellers.
    (I have a bad taste about resellers but there is nothing you can do, to me it's like a get rich quick, late night TV ad...host unlimited domains for $15 a month... But as long as hosts keep offering and keep doing the best possible job of hiding their resellers as being resellers it willl be hard for the consumer to tell.
    PS: Nothing really against getting started as a reseller, it's how they do it. It just shouldn't be "unlimited everything" for "next to nothing" so there is the never-ending stream of new resellers "in business" offering $2 hosting they can't support, and the never ending list of complaints about "where did my host go with my money?" here)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Originally posted by MarkJones2004
    Just do a Whois on one of their IP numbers. It will tell you who 'owns' the IP range - and resellers will not have their own range.
    This is SO not true. Reverse any of our C-blocks and they reverse to nectartech.com we share a huge cage with them San Jose and have our racks in the same room as their stuff, we use the upstreams piped in to the cage and the IPs are allocated to their company name. We are not resellers nor have we ever been. Buying our own IP blocks would cost a stupid amount of money and not be worth it unless we had over 1000 servers.

Basically call a host you want to use and ask them if they resell. Most will tell you the truth but never base your answer on a reverse IP.

C
    Mega Hosters Inc. - The Last Host You Will Ever Need!
    Hsphere Control Panel, 24/7 Phone Support, EasyApp, Shared SSL, Daily Backups, Dedicated IPs, PHP4 & PHP5, FFMPEG, Legal Adult Content Allowed + More!
    Treating A Customer The Way They Should Be Treated For Over 5.5 Years Now!

Originally posted by CartikaHosting
    Send them an email to their support desk - the kind with an automated response - and check the mail headers that are returned
    Now that's an idea that will actually work

Asking them is a good start. If they say yes, you have your answer. If they say no, then you need to do some more research.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...

Or you could do a reverse lookup , Get the ip and search google to see if come's up with anything

Originally posted by MegaHosters
    This is SO not true. Reverse any of our C-blocks and they reverse to nectartech.com we share a huge cage with them San Jose and have our racks in the same room as their stuff, we use the upstreams piped in to the cage and the IPs are allocated to their company name. We are not resellers nor have we ever been. Buying our own IP blocks would cost a stupid amount of money and not be worth it unless we had over 1000 servers.

Basically call a host you want to use and ask them if they resell. Most will tell you the truth but never base your answer on a reverse IP.

C
    $1500 for a /20? Thats not that bad.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

what i really want to know is the comparison of advantages and disadvantages of buying web hosting from a reseller..

most of the time, the "reseller staff" are much more interested in helping you because a customer is much more valuable for a smaller company. may be the lack of knowledge is the biggest problem of a reseller and I can't think of any other adv. or disadv.

what do you think about working with a reseller?

IPs are expensive?? Who said so...

The Annual ARIN fee for an IP is less than $1.... Obviously you need to take it in blocks.. we take IPs normally in class C or 1024 IP blocks...
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Originally posted by Yash-JH
    IPs are expensive?? Who said so...

The Annual ARIN fee for an IP is less than $1.... Obviously you need to take it in blocks.. we take IPs normally in class C or 1024 IP blocks...
    Not trying to HiJack this thread by any mean, but I was curious about how the process of purchasing a block of IPs actually works. I was under the impression that Arin would not just give out a block of 256 IPs to a person.

What type of requirements and block size do you need?
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

my first question,

why would not go with an reseller host??

If he is doing a nice job,just proceed.

If u need to find whether an host is an reseller.

1. Check his prices ,

2. Try to catch him whether he can give u an dedicated IP on extra cost,

3. check where the site is hosted,