Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Make more money from your webhosting income

It takes money to make money. And I have recently realized that I have been letting my money sit in the bank and Paypal. Its probably smarter to invest the money somewhere else to yield a higher return than the miserable interest rate from the bank. The question is: Where do you guys invest your income from webhosting?

I have tried my hands on Forex. It started out pretty well, I managed to yield a 130% ROI within 2 months but got burned when the EURO screwed up last yr. I am now looking for something that is less risky, I dont care about ROI too much as long as its better than the BOA interest rate.

Post away, folks!
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

This is a good question. I don't have a hosting business but I do have a business. I find that most of the time and most of my money remains in paypal.

I have been considering a high yield savings account since I have nothing to lose and some interest is better than none. I really want to invest in some stock but I have no idea what's "hot" right now.

3. Try not to invest in risky stock or you will get burned like me.
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Purchase other hosting companies or if you want diversity buy some property.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

Depending on how established a Web hosting company it is that I am involved in, for the most part, I will invest quite a large percentage back in to the business, that just makes perfect sense to me.

Obviously as a company progresses and times change, the way the money is invested changes, but for now, the most part does and will carry on been put back in to the company.
    - Jamie Harrop

I invest my money into things that will grow my business. That brings a greater ROI than any stock or interest rate IMO.

Re-invest it back into your business is what I'd suggest. Bigger risk may mean bigger returns (although the key word is "may").

Roj
    Web Hosting? Been there. Done that.
    I am niyogi.

Originally posted by Kiamori
    Purchase other hosting companies or if you want diversity buy some property.
    I would concur with this. Hosting properties or actual real estate properties are your best options. However, you still have to do your research.
    • IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    • Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

the least risky investment is a CD. you can get a bit over 4.5% IIRC for a 3+ year

a more risky investment that requires a decent amount of money is real estate...where I live house values have more than tripled in some cases

10. Looks like properties are the best non-hosting investment.
    CD is pathetic IMHO.

I prefer not to always reinvest back into the business in order to diversify my asset. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

We've started to invest portions of our profits into places we do business with.

I.E. The datacenters we use, the backbones they use and a couple home/office ISP's..

Real Estate is a really good place to invest into now, one of my friends had bought some cottage land recently around Georgian Bay, Ontario and surrounding areas. He's already driving a BMW
    - 7de5igns

Look at equity, but buy for medium , long term, look for those which are stable and have high dividend yields.

14. I am no expert when it comes to investment stuff. Isn't high divident yields = high risk somehow or rather? Sort of reminds me of hedge funds.

Originally posted by amish_geek
    I invest my money into things that will grow my business. That brings a greater ROI than any stock or interest rate IMO.
    So true, but it doesn't hurt to diversify too.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

16. Bobby,dya mind sharing your experience with non-hosting investments?
    Oops, I forgot any spare change goes to the wife by default. You have nothing left to reinvest.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    So true, but it doesn't hurt to diversify too.

Investing your income back to your company is one of the best ideas. If you are offering web hosting for example use your income to make your company well organised etc and after that, consider expanding to other aspects related to your company (eg Web Design).

Most of these ideas from these posts are great, but dont forget to put some money away for a rainy day.

Investing your income back to your company is one of the best ideas.
    I would not consider this so. It is wise and better in the long run to spread your money around. However, as many have mentioned here, nothing beats real-estate. It's the most promising investment. Nontheless, you will need to have the money to get things rolling and approved, nevertheless, with real-estate you will only end up making money in the long run and can make a few hundred thousand or millions within the first five years if you know what you're doing and when to sell.

We currently have a house which was paid off in 8 years and just bought a Condo on May 27, 2005. We put down a really good down payment so the mortage works out to be very low. This is good incase we are not able to find someone to rent it for the asking price. We can afford to pay the montlhy mortage without seeing a decrease in our pocket.

Mortage rates will soon be going up and so will rent. So, if you have to give for example 10% down payment and the home is $200,000 which it won't be that is a $20,000 Down payment the buyer has to make. In most cases the majority of the people don't have this sort of money to put as a down payment. These are the people who end up renting an apartment, condo or home for $1000-$2000 a month.

Find a nice condo, research the location, the market size and area.

It would all depend on how much money your talking about, Its always best to split it and invest in both sales and services for existing clients, Not always a good idea to spend it all at once never know when you could need it.

Hello,

Most financial experts would suggest your asset profolio as follow if you are not doing business:
    * 33% stock
    * 33% property
    * 33% cash

Roy,

Of course, real estate is always the best investment, if proper research is done. If you have enough funds sit aside, and like to remodel or revamp, I encourage you to check out foreclosures or hud homes. Not only are they great properties to start out in, but you can get complete goverment funding if you do your research.

For a safer short-term investment, CapitalOne has a great High Yield Saving account, which currently pays 3.10% which is paid out monthly. Good luck in your searches.
    CityWideHost.com - Web Hosting YOUR Way!
    Non-Oversold cPanel Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!
    24/7 Support - Powered by Bobcares!

I invest all my hard-earned cash in alcohol, women and fast cars.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    I invest all my hard-earned cash in alcohol, women and fast cars.
    A true investor
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

A CRAZY investor

Of course, you might as well live it up, while you can.
    Non-Oversold cPanel Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!

26. Hey thanks for that tips.
    Ive never heard of CapitalOne's High Yield savings acct.
    But I wonder how they managed to pull it .
    I mean national average is like 1% but they managed to do 3.15%.
    I will go check it out today. If its convincing enough I will have to say byebye to BOA.

Originally posted by AssertiveHost
    Roy,

For a safer short-term investment, CapitalOne has a great High Yield Saving account, which currently pays 3.10% which is paid out monthly. Good luck in your searches.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Hey thanks for that tips.
    Ive never heard of CapitalOne's High Yield savings acct.
    But I wonder how they managed to pull it .
    I mean national average is like 1% but they managed to do 3.15%.
    I will go check it out today. If its convincing enough I will have to say byebye to BOA.
    Because they earn 10% off of the card members and now with the new bankruptcy laws you can't charge off credit card debt.

3.15% is horrid ROI anyways.

28. 3.15% is pretty darn good compared to other banks.
    Anyway this is a great place to deposit my funds while I hunt for good investment opportunities.

3.15% is horrid ROI anyways.

You can usually buy out hosting companies, ISP's, etc. with a 2 year ROI of 30-150% IF you know what your looking for. Many other simular business ventures that have the same type of turnaround.

30. Which brings us back to my earlier response.
    My purpose of starting this thread is to discuss non-hosting related investments.

You can usually buy out hosting companies, ISP's, etc. with a 2 year ROI of 30-150% IF you know what your looking for. Many other simular business ventures that have the same type of turnaround.

Property is one of the best (if not THE best) long term investment.

Real estate...definitely. One of our houses was purchased in 1992 for $32,000. Today, with very little improvements it is worth $150,000 and its currently being rented out.

You can't get that kind of return by keeping your money sitting in the bank.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Roy is gonna put it in CapitalOne, until he does his research on other investment opportunities. You certainly don't want to just go out and buy a house, but want to do the proper research, for sure

Yes, when you buy an investment property...you definitely want to factor in quite a few things.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

If you've got a significant amount to invest, then by all means pursue various investements for a greater return.  However, be aware that if your investment income is substantial, you run the risk of the IRS declaring your business a "holding company" rather than an operating entity with different tax treatment.

Of course, if you are worried about the lower short-term return from bank or paypal transit account, that perhaps you should first be investing in growing your business.  Liquid transactional accounts typically do not have enough of a balance to bother with trying to squeeze a slightly higher short term yield versus the hassle of moving the dollars around to non-liquid investment vehicles.
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services

Originally posted by spiv
    If you've got a significant amount to invest, then by all means pursue various investements for a greater return.  However, be aware that if your investment income is substantial, you run the risk of the IRS declaring your business a "holding company" rather than an operating entity with different tax treatment.

Of course, if you are worried about the lower short-term return from bank or paypal transit account, that perhaps you should first be investing in growing your business.  Liquid transactional accounts typically do not have enough of a balance to bother with trying to squeeze a slightly higher short term yield versus the hassle of moving the dollars around to non-liquid investment vehicles.
    I really don't follow this... Your saying that anyone with a significant amount of money should no longer care about high yield and just toss it in the bank for 3.14% ROI because of the increased taxes you incur by making more? That just seems silly to me, that’s like saying well the government is going to take 30% of what I make so why should I even try? As much as I don't like taxes I would prefer to have 70% rather then none.

37. You are saying that if you fall under "holding company", you will be charged a lot more? If its not too substantial, I won't be too concerned about it.

Originally posted by spiv
    However, be aware that if your investment income is substantial, you run the risk of the IRS declaring your business a "holding company" rather than an operating entity with different tax treatment.

Renting houses or rooms out is a very good income.

I would suggest buying items and reselling them for a higher price...Such as PSP'S Playstations.

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    Real estate...definitely. One of our houses was purchased in 1992 for $32,000. Today, with very little improvements it is worth $150,000 and its currently being rented out.

You can't get that kind of return by keeping your money sitting in the bank.

--Tina
    There is a good chance that you would have come out ahead if you had invested in the stock market. Not individual stocks, but the broad market indexes like S&P 500.

Property is one of the best (if not THE best) long term investment.
    Right now there is a real estate boom. It is crazy - condos are being flipped half a dozen times before construction has even started. Many experts say there will be a big correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast