downtime too much or not?

I am curious about something. I don't know if this question can really be answered but I'll ask anyway. How many times per year do you think it is acceptable for a web host to experience significant downtime?

Downtimes are unexpected most of the times.... ( Attacks, server crashed.... )

It really depends on what you class as significant downtime.
    - Jamie Harrop

1 or more times a month

Yes I know that downtime is unavoidable at times. Sometimes it seems I experience this more times than friends and associates. I guess significant was the wrong term. I'm thinking more along the lines of once or twice a month for over an hour.

<<< Mod Note >>>
    I think this was meant to be here? The New Topic button is on the left. The Reply button is on the right.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 06-18-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Re: 1 or more times a month

Originally posted by rightwriters
    I'm thinking more along the lines of once or twice a month for over an hour.
    That is way too long an unaccaptable especially if it happens every month.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

once or twice a month for an hour isnt really within acceptable limits. Though again - the definition of acceptable varies on the price you are paying.

If you are paying $1 for hosting - 95% uptime may be acceptable. If for that same package you are paying $100/month - I dont think alot of downtime would be acceptable (these are extreme examples, particularly in the shared hosting market, but, I think it conveys my point )

I think the occasional 1 hour downtime is acceptable, but not every month! Obviously, the more you pay the less you should have. All webhosts have a bad month once in a while, don't let it put you off them!
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Hard to give any precise answer... personally, I go for an uptime of around 99.9%. THis would mean... letssee... less than an hour per month. And it seems this is usually achieved, too, by the host I'm actually monitoring.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

If your hosting infrastructure is built properly, maybe 15-30 minutes per year total downtime. This is done easily without using expensive equipment.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Did something happen to you and your site? Pease let me know if you are referingto downtime that is unforseeable and long or short upgrades and your hosting company announcing that there will be some in the middle of the night or so?

Down once in two years because of disk failure. But thank god I have backup all files
    Best Web Hosting in Indonesia
    http://www.rumahweb.com

That is not that bad if once in 2 years. I know some hosting companies go down every month and have no reason why....consider yourself lucky.

Originally posted by bqinternet
    If your hosting infrastructure is built properly, maybe 15-30 minutes per year total downtime. This is done easily without using expensive equipment.
    I hope and pray that you don't use that same "without using expensive equipment" idea and use it alongside your remote backup services.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Anything more than 1 hour in any particular month would be unacceptable in my opinion. Unless of course they guarantee 100% uptime, which would mean anything more than 1 second would be unacceptable

How many times per year do you think it is acceptable for a web host to experience significant downtime?
    It depends on how much you are paying. Customers of super cheap hosting companies should expect more downtime than those willing to pay a reasonable price for their hosting. For most hosts, uptime should be a minimum of 99.9% on a bad month but well above this for regular months.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...

How many times per year do you think it is acceptable for a web host to experience significant downtime?
    A host can have hundreds, even thousands of servers. The more they have, the higher the chances of a hardware failure; the more sites they host, the more chances of a DDOS attack to occur etc.

A host has as many uptimes as servers. It's not that rare for a server to appear to be almost jinxed, with all the bad things that could happen concentrating on it. A host's nightmare.

There is a host around that doesn't even have an uptime guarantee reasoning being that it can give the customer a false sense of security and lead to unreasonably high expectations (like 99.9%+ uptime each month, without exception). Yet that host is reputed for maintaining very high uptime levels consistently.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess it depends on how you want to look at things if this is a good host or not. Overall I am happy with their service. Whenver, I have a problem they answer right away so I will stay for the time being.