Thread: Need a new host

Need a new host

Hello everyone,

I been reading these forums for a while now. Lots of great information. Anyway, my site is currently hosted at WestHost and ever since they moved my site to a new server and did some upgrades back on 4/19/05, I have been having many problems. Constantly getting MySQL Link Connect Error Emails from vBulletin. Thier latest MySQL version is old and buggy, which is causing other vBulletin errors.

After many support tickets, and phone calls, they upgraded the server I was on and it helped the issues some, but did not resolve it. I never has these problems before 4/19/05 and I have not changed anything on my end. It's definitley a host problem.

And to put the icing on the cake, this week my site was down, so I called them and they said they shut it down because it was causing a server load. I said to them, "are you kidding"!!! I use 10% to 15% of my 80 gigs of bandwidth each month. They said it wasn't bandwidth, but processing power. I said "I run a forum (only have 600+ members, 600+ threads, 6,000+ posts), gallery (less than 200 photos), and phpadsnew, your Ultimate Pkg can't handle that?" I laughed and hung up the phone. They did re-enable my account while I was on the phone.

So, I am in search of a new VPS host, that is rock soild, and has the resource i need. (which should be that much) And keeps up to date on PHP, MySQL etc.

Thanks,

Tommy

Well guess that would make me a complete idiot... I just signed up with them throug dinix. Now I know how it feels to be on the titanic.....

dinix = westhost ??

sorry, i thought you said webhost, as in webhost plus.

Nope, WESTHOST.... your ship is still afloat! Mine is sinking.
    Last edited by TrailVoy; 06-18-2005 at 03:46 AM.

ServInt and PowerVPS...are they the only two VPS hosting that are being recommended?

Should I look else where? WESTHOST VPS isn't cutting it.

Thanks,

Tommy

Originally posted by TrailVoy
    ServInt and PowerVPS...are they the only two VPS hosting that are being recommended?
    Do either of these allow 'overselling'?

I have a resller plan with 160Gig BW allowance, of which I have currently allocated 150Gig. Their rule is I cannot 'allocate' more than my limit, used or not.

The thing is, over last 12 months the actual usage has never gone above 6Gig per month!

Same thing with hard disk usage.

Is it the same for VPS providers?

Thanks

The host can enable overselling on your reseller account. Contact your host and explain the problem!

So after searching these forums for most of the day, I narrowed down my choices of VPS hosting to the following:

PowerVPS
    WebIntellects
    ServInt

I am only hosting one site. I am running vBulletin 3.0.7 (600+ Threads, 6,000+ post, 600+ members) with only 20-40 active users at peak (and growing). Also running PhotoPost gallery (Under 200 photos) and PhpAdsNew. Currently using 3 MySql Databases. WESTHOST is not cutting it. Need a better host.

Recommendation Please.

Thanks

I'd add LiquidWeb to the list, as well as FluidHosting.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Vince, you can do whatever you want on a VPS, oversell all you want just watch it carefully :-P.

I'd recommend PowerVPS all the way! Best price, best service, and best quality.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Do any hosts actually advertise how many vps accounts they put on each server?

Originally posted by michael09091
    Do any hosts actually advertise how many vps accounts they put on each server?
    They advertise the server specification.
    So if you look at the CPU and RAM, and the plans they offer have minimum guarantee for RAM, then any combinations of those plans can give you a minimum and maximum amout of VPS accounts possible.

i.e.
    - Server has 8GB RAM and 2x Xeon 3Ghz
    - Plan has min guarantee of 500Mb RAM

Then potentially 16 of these could be placed on that server, with 375Mhz of CPU if equal share is enabled.

But that is just one permutation. I'm sure you can calculate many more.

- V

Thumbs up I went with PowerVPS

I been with powerVPS for a few days now and I have to say that I really like this host. Today is the first day my site is fully up and running on their servers. What a difference! Pages load so much quicker, that even a few of my members sent me PM's saying "what a difference!"

There support is top of line. I had a few issues in the beginning, mostly due to my inexperience with WHM & cPanel, but these guys were great. Fast and friendly email responses. They really went out of thier way to help me with my migration over from the old server.

A+ for PowerVPS hosting.

Thanks!

Tommy

http://www.trailvoy.com

TrailVoy, I have similar vBulletin specs as you; I have also sent the last few days searching for a new host because my forum and members are increasing.

I have to agree with the top hosts you narrowed it down to and because of all the good news I hear, I may go with PowerVPS too.

Thanks all!
    "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."