Strange experience

I owned the domain name intfic.com which I allowed to expire in March. I hadn't come up with a use for it and saw no reason to keep it.

In late april, I noticed it was in the hands of a squatter who had it on a link-farm site. Predictably, I immediately regretted letting it go and I wanted it back.

Last night, I was looking for interesting names and for whatever reason I tried intfic.com. To my surprise it came up as available. I registered it right away.

My question is...what happened? Weeks ago, it showed up as a one year registration in the hands of the squatter starting in april, yesterday it was available for me to grab.

sounds like who ever you registered it with was squating it during the expiration period. When a domain expires, it doesn't automatically get thrown back into available, there's a 30 - 75 day period where it's not attainable.

Originally posted by carguy84
    sounds like who ever you registered it with was squating it during the expiration period. When a domain expires, it doesn't automatically get thrown back into available, there's a 30 - 75 day period where it's not attainable.
    I guess that's possible.

It was with godaddy, I didn't think they'd do something like that.

Let's clear things up a bit. If that domain was with GoDaddy and expired in March, what you saw in late April was probably a GoDaddy parking page during the official RGP (Redemption Grace Period). As far as I know, GoDaddy still renders about 30 days grace period of their own, and that combines with RGP makes it like 60 days in total; so noone else would be able to register it before May.

There are some high-profile registrar-related "activities" lately when domains were registered and then deleted in 5 days. But I don't think it applies to your domain.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    There are some high-profile registrar-related "activities" lately when domains were registered and then deleted in 5 days. But I don't think it applies to your domain.
    You realize you just revealed a dirty little secret.

Socrat, when you say it was in the hands of a squatter, does that
    mean the ownership was totally changed from you or your holding
    to the other party?

According to Go Daddy's legal fine prints, they'll supposedly hold
    an expired name for about 30 days before letting it go (like what
    nameslave said), although that's subject to change.

Hmmm...

Originally posted by davezan
    You realize you just revealed a dirty little secret.

Socrat, when you say it was in the hands of a squatter, does that
    mean the ownership was totally changed from you or your holding
    to the other party?

According to Go Daddy's legal fine prints, they'll supposedly hold
    an expired name for about 30 days before letting it go (like what
    nameslave said), although that's subject to change.

Hmmm...
    It was one of those pages that says the site is under construction while listing a bunch of "useful" related links that are really cpc ads like sudo. It might have been sudo, I don't remember.

It was not a godaddy parking page.

The whois at the time showed it registered until 2006 with somebody else's information.

I looked up my records and it expired March 7th. The late april was a guess, it may well have been in May after more than 60 days that I saw a squatter had it. If the 60 days was up May 7th and I noticed it was available the day I posted the thread on June 18th, that's 5 weeks.

You can delete a domain that has been registered within 2 weeks if you find out it was a fraud order, this is allowed on some registrars.
    ^_^

Originally posted by Francisco
    You can delete a domain that has been registered within 2 weeks if you find out it was a fraud order, this is allowed on some registrars.
    Interesting.

So then it could have either been registered fradulantly, or by a squatter with a who tried it out, found it didn't get enough hits so he said it was a fraud order to get out of the deal.

If that's true, I don't know if I should be happy I got my domain back or disappointed that it's not even good enough for a squatter to pay reg fees for

You are lucky here. What if that was a legit registration? You would have LOST a domain name.

Most of the registrars can DROP a name that has been registered within 2 weeks.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Originally posted by CSDesk
    You are lucky here. What if that was a legit registration? You would have LOST a domain name.

Most of the registrars can DROP a name that has been registered within 2 weeks.
    I also let go of indieboardgames.com at the same time. It is currently a squatter page and has been for at least as long as I noticed intfic was.

It wasn't an oversight on my part, I deliberately made the decision to let them go since the sites I build for them didn't really work out and I didn't want to pay the renewal fee.

It was only after seeing squatters have them that I wanted them back. I still don't know what I'm going to do with the one I got back.

Actually, I don't know why intfic seems to have so little intrinsic value. I posted it to the appraisal forum when I first got it and was told it's not worth reg fees. The fact that I was able to get it back so easily seems to confirm the apraisal. It's a 6-character all letter .com, it's easily pronouncable, easy to remember, and it can stand for "Interactive Fiction"

Originally posted by Socrat
    It was only after seeing squatters have them that I wanted them back. I still don't know what I'm going to do with the one I got back.
    Quite a number of domains that I let go ended up in the hands of domain speculators (the word squatter is NOT appropriately used here), but I rarely (if ever) even care, and almost all of them were dropped after a year. The morals: trust your judgement.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

domains get canceled for any reason such as chargeback etc..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi