Interland is getting out...

I was told that Interland will sell the dedicated business to either data Return or 1and1. This is 95% confirmed and they should be making the announcem,ent this coming week. I have about 40 small servers with the (yeah still with them). Any thoughts or someone who could verify this.

Where did you hear this? Is there an unnamed entitity at the water cooler ?
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

I was told by an ex-employee who left the company not to lomg ago and confirmed by one that is still there. Also I've noticed Interland does not advertise as before.

You can check postings at the yahho finance, then click on message board

finance.yahoo.com/q/mb?s=INLD

He was told by a friend of a friend of a brother of a girl who is dating someone who knows a guy from Interland tech support.

But seriously... I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling. Their packages were not that feature-rich, and were pretty pricey. Their domain registrar service rules, though. I register all my domains through Interland.

Originally posted by FlashwireGroup
    He was told by a friend of a friend of a brother of a girl who is dating someone who knows a guy from Interland tech support.

But seriously... I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling. Their packages were not that feature-rich, and were pretty pricey. Their domain registrar service rules, though. I register all my domains through Interland.
    ...And you didn't mentioned the customer service:
    After you sign up with them, you can't get out. Forget about support.

Their in the later phases of their 2004 restructuring plan. Their switching business model and probably laying off in the process. Doesn't mean their being sold.... yet.

Originally posted by @email
    ...And you didn't mentioned the customer service:
    After you sign up with them, you can't get out. Forget about support.
    That's entirely false. The only registrar change policy is a 60-day lock policy to stop people from wasting their time and money by moving registrars right after they register. Believe it or not, it costs most registrars more than just the first monthly fee to get a domain registered, set up and working with the root servers around the world. And also, Interland provides EXCELLENT support. They have a domain management system that no one in their right mind would mess up with. I suggest you look at the facts before you make generalized assumptions.

I actually heard this rumor a few weeks ago on an investment forum. It doesn't sound like it is actually happening though.

Originally posted by FlashwireGroup
    That's entirely false. The only registrar change policy is a 60-day lock policy to stop people from wasting their time and money by moving registrars right after they register. Believe it or not, it costs most registrars more than just the first monthly fee to get a domain registered, set up and working with the root servers around the world. And also, Interland provides EXCELLENT support. They have a domain management system that no one in their right mind would mess up with. I suggest you look at the facts before you make generalized assumptions.
    Please let me have a hit of whatever it is your smoking- it must be really good stuff.....
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

Originally posted by Gabriel Murphy
    Please let me have a hit of whatever it is your smoking- it must be really good stuff.....
    Meet me in the 17th street alley at 4:47AM... The codephrase is...
    But seriously. Interland provides excellent support. I've only had to submit a ticket once and it was responded to within a few minutes, and the ticket was submitted because of incorrect login information for their superbly easy-to-use domain management system.... Have YOU used Interland before?

"I've only had to submit a ticket once and it was responded to within a few minutes"

I would venture to say that one incident (positive or negative) does not make a trend, nor does one sample indicate anything about the population (overall level of support). Submit a dozen more helpdesk tickets and let us know your thoughts thereafter.

Have I used Interland before? You could say that.
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

Originally posted by Gabriel Murphy
    "I've only had to submit a ticket once and it was responded to within a few minutes"

I would venture to say that one incident (positive or negative) does not make a trend, nor does one sample indicate anything about the population (overall level of support). Submit a dozen more helpdesk tickets and let us know your thoughts thereafter.

Have I used Interland before? You could say that.
    Well, sorry, I guess I should rephrase that:

Interland is a very stable registrar and provider. I've only had to submit one support ticket, and it was responded to within a few minutes.

(Only submitting one ticket isn't exactly a sign of the level of support, I agree, but it's a good sign of stability and reliability on their part. I'll watch what I type more closely next time.)

There was an article on this topic on the WHIR a few weeks back ("Peer 1 May Buy Interland Dedicated Arm"). I'm not sure if the source of this article is any more reliable than water cooler banter, but it is kind of odd that two similar bits of news would come out at around the same time.

Of course all of this is simply speculation, even if you did hear it from a "reliable" source. Companies are always looking to purchase other companies, and something like 80% of proposed acquisitions never result in anything beyond some speculative press releases. Probably not worth getting worried about.

That would burden Peer1's financial further after the purchase of ServerBeach, wouldn't it?

we were talking to interland not too long ago about some business opportunities on our software side of the business and we didn't get any hints that there would be any shifts in their dedicated business.

Maybe we should buy them?

One of our divisions that we sold back in '99 is now part of interland, might as well just buy it back.. hah

I see they lied to you too. Interland is not a domain name registrar. They are only a reseller. They have been using Tucows as of late.

I wouldn't mind buying up Interland. The company wouldn't be bad after I fired everyone and replaced half of them with people who have a clue and care about the business they are in. The other half get replaced with monkeys. They would be faster and more reliable.

Tangent Man