Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thats Right Bush, Iran DOES have Elections.

For those who have Never been to iran, probably think its a country with men walking the streets with guns, beating women, terrorising, Well thats Wrong all badly shown by the press. Its EXTREMELY intresting, watching the BBC, CNN etc, i hear EVERY news, yet a country so sensative (at this time) only got under 30 seconds on BBC and i am still to get anything about it on CNN!

What the the government scared of us to know, Iran really isn't as bad as they make it to be! well, i have been to Iran, its most certainly NOT how thy try and make it out to be, Women DON'T have to fully cover themselfs, been there SEEN it with my own EYES!

Iranians are like normal people, their teenagers listen to Rock, rap, etc. They do try drugs, i even been offered alcohol there!

The regime MAY be abit too harsh politically taking a few political prisoners, Yet i see nothing wrong with what they have done to criminals. When i was there i heard a CHILD rapist was lashed then HUNG, after raping many kids. I personally see nothing wrong with it, yet i have seen alot of talks abut it in forums saying "this is just iran terrorising its people!"

No country is perfect, its VERY easy to see the bad sides of things, but remmeber it takes a bigger guy to admin the good sides and i still dont see ANY western countries do so.

Iranians are proud of Throwing the "shah" (old Friendly king towards the west! [ Read the book on iranian revolution, was intresting read ( The Mossadegh Era: Roots of the Iranian Revolution)]) out, they are proud of their history, and what i saw today on their English TV channel was alot of proud people waiting to vote.

The voting process IS DEMOCRATIC, in the way that they have a FULL FREE CHOICE on who they elect, though it gets more complext to become a candidate, its just not as easy as USA where film stars get to win presidency and become mayors!

I was just pretty angry at what i saw and though i would just let people know about it
    Last edited by Directory; 06-17-2005 at 06:53 PM.

I saw a full feature on the Iran elections on CNN today actually.

Many don't argue that there are democratic elections in Iran they argue that the elected position is just a figure head and that the religious sect really runs the country.

Iran is a very secular place though.
    They also have a very young population who are eager to assimilate many Western ways into their culture.

I saw a full feature on the Iran elections on CNN today actually.
    Must have missed it!

The winner of the Iranian elections will have considerable power over the country, yet the grand ayatolah has a veto in it if it is in conjunction with religion (to my knowledge!)

As far as i understand there are to main parties, Right wing, very very strickt. Left Wing, Much easier going reformists (whom i think will win!)

Though the way their system works is that the reformists are restricted somewhat to reform the country in SOME ways that is "unislamic!"

I can understand that, if we actually consider ALL the people that died during the infamoud Iranian Revolution, Then right after it the Iran Iraq war, i can fully understand why the government is not about to just hand over full power to the reformists. But As you said, about 50% of the population are young people and WITH TIME there will be abit more pressure (internal) (external pressures does nothing but to anger!) and i think things WILL change for the better

Its just that its precieved as such an EVIL country (in uk anyways!) but in fact, i can say i been there, i was open minded, and its NOTHING as how they describe it.

Please, don't look backwards through the same lens to get your perception of how Americans think. Many of us are actually smarter than the media, which appeals to the least common denominator of the population in the name of ratings or circulation. This is inevitable, unfortunately, with a free press in any democratic nation.

How free is Iran's media to cover the issues the people are voting on, or pry into the candidates' lives? Last I heard, the hardliners who can't be voted out of office still had control over that. In the United States, only Supreme Court justices can't be voted out of office, and they certainly don't have power over the media's portrayal of Presidential candidates. Or is that just media distortion?

I disagree with the U.S. meddling in Iranian affairs. In fact, if I had my way, Iran would be our ally sooner than Saudi Arabia. Iran is a Persian society, not Arabian, thus has its roots in the free enterprise and laisséz-faire capitalism of the bazaar. Iran has lots in common with any democratic capitalist country.

There are two growing forces which the hardliners in Iran can't control, which will bring about a truly free country by themselves without any interference from abroad. First, the mini satellite dish. Though illegal, plenty of Iranian households have them. There's really nothing that can be done about their proliferation, and exposure of Iranians to not only CNN, but Al-Jazeira as well.

Second, the demographics of the population. When the Ayatollah took over after the Shah's ouster, one of his policies was quite biblical -- "go forth and multiply". This was done, and the majority of the Iranian population (IIRC, didn't check the CIA World Fact Book) is now under the age of 30. The older hardliners are simply outnumbered by those who hold to more progressive ideals, and change will continue in Iran at its own pace as the next generation takes over.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Originally posted by BigBison
    Please, don't look backwards through the same lens to get your perception of how Americans think. Many of us are actually smarter than the media, which appeals to the least common denominator of the population in the name of ratings or circulation.

Well said.
    But in a sense perception is reality. You would be suprised how many people in America and in Canada for that matter who base their opinions of other countries on American media.

I had this conversation with an employee a few days ago.
    He was under the impression that Cubans hate Americans.

One thing that the majority of Americans do not know is that Cuba is very very friendly toward Americans. The policy of no Americans in Cuba is a US State Department policy, not a Cuban policy. I have been to Cuban dozens of times and have spent roughly a year there and they are one of the friendliest societies I have ever encountered.

I have been in Cuba and watched stories of a Father's day riot on CNN (yes you can watch CNN even there) where the citizens are fighting in the streets. I was at the very event that they were referring to and showed footage of and it was nothing more than a street fight between a few Cuban teens who were drinking the free beer from the beer trucks that go through the city on some special occasions.

Even a simple street fight like this is a rarity in Havana.

Originally posted by blue27
    Well said.
    But in a sense perception is reality. You would be suprised how many people in America and in Canada for that matter who base their opinions of other countries on American media.

I had this conversation with an employee a few days ago.
    He was under the impression that Cubans hate Americans.

One thing that the majority of Americans do not know is that Cuba is very very friendly toward Americans. The policy of no Americans in Cuba is a US State Department policy, not a Cuban policy. I have been to Cuban dozens of times and have spent roughly a year there and they are one of the friendliest societies I have ever encountered.

I have been in Cuba and watched stories of a Father's day riot on CNN (yes you can watch CNN even there) where the citizens are fighting in the streets. I was at the very event that they were referring to and showed footage of and it was nothing more than a street fight between a few Cuban teens who were drinking the free beer from the beer trucks that go through the city on some special occasions.

Even a simple street fight like this is a rarity in Havana.
    Cubans are very friendly and very poor and very hungry. I know many who work with Cubans and when you get off the beaten path where the tourists go, a family lives on 5 lbs of beans and rice a month.

As usual, we Americans are the backwards ones here with our crazy press corps and evil foreign policy. Somehow, the Iranian elections are lifted up to bash Bush? I don't know what is going on in some people's heads. Nobody is saying the Iranian people aren't decent folk. I have friends who are Iranian. The issue is that the candidates are approved by clerics. Sure its democratic insofar as their elections. There are elections in North Korea too. It is the nature of the elections that is a farce.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Cubans are very friendly and very poor and very hungry. I know many who work with Cubans and when you get off the beaten path where the tourists go, a family lives on 5 lbs of beans and rice a month.

Cubans are also very well educated and have some of the best free healthcare in the world.

I have been off the beaten path. I don't go where the tourists go.

I don't know of any Cuban families who have to live off 5 pounds of beans and rice a month. Perhaps you have seen this first hand?

That is President Bush to you. Not just Bush
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

I have not seen it first hand but have a good friend who has.

As I said, I have nothing against the Cuban people. They are well educated but they are a poor people as well.
    Rich

Originally posted by TalkMilitary

Why is that?
    I see many Americans on this forum refer to other leaders soley by their last name.
    Why should anyone be obliged to use the title?

Why is that?
    I see many Americans on this forum refer to other leaders soley by their last name.
    Why should anyone be obliged to use the title?
    Sorry, I was Military, and I hold a respect for the title. If others do not, that is ok.

No, you're wrong. When you address him, you must -- under all circumstances -- say, "President Bush, His Majesty, Sire of the Great Land of America, His Holiness, how can I be of service to Thee?" If you don't, off with your head!!!

Anyhow, I'm still perplexed as to how you had the nerve to say such a thing, but I suppose you dislike Iran and its people; that's understandable for someone in the military.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    . . . Anyhow, I'm still perplexed as to how you had the nerve to say such a thing . . .
    Sorry, I was Military, and I hold a respect for the title. If others do not, that is ok.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

No, you're wrong. When you address him, you must -- under all circumstances -- say, "President Bush, His Majesty, Sire of the Great Land of America, His Holiness, how can I be of service to Thee?" If you don't, off with your head!!!

Anyhow, I'm still perplexed as to how you had the nerve to say such a thing, but I suppose you dislike Iran and its people; that's understandable for someone in the military.
    You suppose too much for a teenager.

How did you jump to that conclusion about TalkMilitary?

I gather from your diatribe that you dislike Oompa Loompas. That's understandable for someone from Fairfax.
    Rich

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    . . . Anyhow, I'm still perplexed as to how you had the nerve to say such a thing . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by TalkMilitary
    Just because you respect something doesn't mean you cram it down the throats of others who might not have the same inferiority complex.

How did you jump to that conclusion about TalkMilitary?

I gather from your diatribe that you dislike Oompa Loompas. That's understandable for someone from Fairfax.
    Whereas Oompa Loompas have absolutely no connection to Fairfax, Iran obviously has a connection to the military. As you undoubtedly know, there are tensions between both countries, and things may get worse down the road. If your job is in the military of one of the sides, in such an environment, one might reasonably assume that there may be some resentfulness and tension between both sides, even on a civilian level.

You know very little about the Military based on that comment about assuming we just click our emotions over to dislike people based on conflicts. We take great pains to understand and appreciate the regions we operate in.

I, on the other hand, know a great deal about people from Fairfax having lived there and know that they hate Oompa Loompas.

If you feel there is no connection at all then you get my point about your logic being flawed.
    Rich

Let's not forget all the intimidation and violence that occurs prior to the election to ensure that the smaller and more outspoken parties don't receive the support they rightly should.

I don't think saying you've been to a small part of Iran allows you to state that you know what Iran is like. Sure, some parts would be more liberal than others, but it's certainly not an ideal democracy.

You know very little about the Military based on that comment about assuming we just click our emotions over to dislike people based on conflicts. We take great pains to understand and appreciate the regions we operate in.
    I think you're being a bit naive here, Rich. You seem to speak for all members of the military when you say "we". Unfortunately, as I have heard second-hand and have seen with my own two eyes regarding the Abu Ghraib scandal, not nearly all of the military "takes great pains to understand the regions" they operate in. The opposite can be said, for many members. My mom participated in getting people to register to vote this past fall, and as there is a very large military population around here, she had many interesting discussions and several "altercations" with military people. Some of them even said that the Afghanis and the Iraqis were annoying, uncivilized, and dirty, and that the war isn't going very well. I don't even know what else they said, but some had been there for a year or so, and none of them seemed very enthused, from what I've heard. On the other hand, many people were extremely enthused about getting this so-called "democracy" off the ground, and they seemed to trust and respect the Iraqi people.

There are always different points of view, and to make the blanket generalization that you did when you spoke for all is just being naive. Not all service members think the way you do. Heck, if you don't believe me, recall the Abu Ghraib scandal. The humiliation and torture our soldiers put those Iraqis through is just disgraceful and disgusting; it doesn't shed a very bright light on our military. More than it portrays the Iraqi "insurgents" as bad, it portrays us as unprofessional and revolting characters, whom people wouldn't want liberating their country. Note that I'm not saying that nearly all of the military is like this, because I very well know that they aren't; I'm merely stating how the shameful Abu Ghraib scandal portrayed our country and our military at that time, and how it proves your supposition wrong.

If you feel there is no connection at all then you get my point about your logic being flawed.
    Nope, I really don't get your point, but maybe I was a bit offensive to some of the military folks here when I said what I said.

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    Let's not forget all the intimidation and violence that occurs prior to the election to ensure that the smaller and more outspoken parties don't receive the support they rightly should.

I don't think saying you've been to a small part of Iran allows you to state that you know what Iran is like. Sure, some parts would be more liberal than others, but it's certainly not an ideal democracy.

Show me a country that does have an ideal democracy.

. . . Just because you respect something doesn't mean you cram it down the throats of others . . .
    TalkMilitary simply expressed an opinion. He didn't cram anything down anyone's throat. You'll find that folks do express opinions here, even you, and sometimes others disagree with those opinions. Imagine that? It's all good.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I think you're being a bit naive here, Rich. You seem to speak for all members of the military when you say "we". Unfortunately, as I have heard second-hand and have seen with my own two eyes regarding the Abu Ghraib scandal, not nearly all of the military "takes great pains to understand the regions" they operate in. The opposite can be said, for many members. My mom participated in getting people to register to vote this past fall, and as there is a very large military population around here, she had many interesting discussions and several "altercations" with military people. Some of them even said that the Afghanis and the Iraqis were annoying, uncivilized, and dirty, and that the war isn't going very well. I don't even know what else they said, but some had been there for a year or so, and none of them seemed very enthused, from what I've heard. On the other hand, many people were extremely enthused about getting this so-called "democracy" off the ground, and they seemed to trust and respect the Iraqi people.

There are always different points of view, and to make the blanket generalization that you did when you spoke for all is just being naive. Not all service members think the way you do. Heck, if you don't believe me, recall the Abu Ghraib scandal. The humiliation and torture our soldiers put those Iraqis through is just disgraceful and disgusting; it doesn't shed a very bright light on our military. More than it portrays the Iraqi "insurgents" as bad, it portrays us as unprofessional and revolting characters, whom people wouldn't want liberating their country. Note that I'm not saying that nearly all of the military is like this, because I very well know that they aren't; I'm merely stating how the shameful Abu Ghraib scandal portrayed our country and our military at that time, and how it proves your supposition wrong.

Nope, I really don't get your point, but maybe I was a bit offensive to some of the military folks here when I said what I said.
    And maybe some people get equally offended by Kids spouting off? Jus opinions.... right?

Perhaps if I was a kid, and only knew what the Parents/Teachers/Media impressed upon me, I would be as naive as sniper devil. When you move out in to the world and make your own way.... and perhaps even serve your country, you may understand where those that have/do serve speak from. But I dunno, I thought war was silly too, when I was a child.
    Last edited by Fair Dinkum; 06-17-2005 at 09:28 PM.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    TalkMilitary simply expressed an opinion. He didn't cram anything down anyone's throat. You'll find that folks do express opinions here, even you, and sometimes others disagree with those opinions. Imagine that? It's all good.
    Hah. That was humorous. How is the following an opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by TalkMilitary
    He wasn't expressing an opinion of any sort. He was commanding that we address Bush a certain way. How, again, is that an opinion?

Bob, I don't mind opinions. What I do, however, mind is people telling others what to do on such a trivial and immaterial issue.

Show me a country that does have an ideal democracy.
    Switzerland.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast