How many ports are available for HTTP?

I'm trying to set up multiple website on one server, and I just learnt that each website must have its own unique port. When I log into my router to do port forwarding, I notice that port 79 is reserved for "finger" (whatever that is), port 80 is reserved for HTTP, and port 110 is reserved for pop3. I assume, therefore, that I have ports 80 to 109 (30 ports) for HTTP access. This means I have a maximum of 30 websites I can host on my server. Is this correct?

No, you do not need a port for each website..

You are best using something like dynamic DNS, most around would ask you to take up webhosting froma providor.
    It's Scott!

Re: How many ports are available for HTTP?

Originally posted by gib65
    I'm trying to set up multiple website on one server, and I just learnt that each website must have its own unique port. When I log into my router to do port forwarding, I notice that port 79 is reserved for "finger" (whatever that is), port 80 is reserved for HTTP, and port 110 is reserved for pop3. I assume, therefore, that I have ports 80 to 109 (30 ports) for HTTP access. This means I have a maximum of 30 websites I can host on my server. Is this correct?
    No, that's not correct. You can run thousands of web sites on one IP and one port. Usually port 80, for non SSL connections, but you can use pretty much any port you want, that's not taken.

You have 65536 ports available. Also, you can run as many websites as you want off of the same port if you're using name-based virtual hosts.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

When using IIS, don't assign an ip to the web site, use the "all unassigned" option.

I'll certainly try that (as soon as our WAN is working again ). In the mean time, what is meant by "name-based virtual hosts"?

In the mean time, what is meant by "name-based virtual hosts"?
    Named-based virtual hosting works by using the domain name provided in the HTTP header to decide which website to serve. This is how virtually all shared web hosting works. Thousands of websites can be served from one IP and one port by using named-based virtual hosting.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts