TheNuke - regarding 15 day trial

Hello.

Just thought I'd send out a bit of a warning to members that, if you're planning on getting a 15 day 'risk-free money back guarantee' trial with TheNuke, don't expect 100% of your money to be refunded.

I signed up with them, decided a few days later that I didn't want their service and asked for a refund, only to be told I was only entitled to a very small percentage of the money I had initially paid.

The justification for this was that I had used their tech support's time up too much, and not always submitted support tickets before contacting them via IM, which is a *completely* undocumented policy and god knows how they expect customers to know this. Sorry, I'm not psychic.

In addition, they actually added a clause (21) to their TOS upon my request, specifying that customers were entitled to a 15 day money back guarantee - strongly suggesting to me that I would be entitled to a 100% refund if I wasn't satisfied, and that this offering was simply a loss-leader! The legalese they used to wriggle out of this was a small bit of text, displayed low down the TOS, saying "Company reserves right to cancel customers rights under this contract at anytime without further obligation." Basically, they might as well write at the top of their TOS, "Oh, by the way, you probably shouldn't bother reading this TOS as we can do what the hell we feel like anyway and customers have no rights. See clause 18.b."

Now, I'm not saying TheNuke are complete cowboys. They're not too bad a host, and their support is OK. But, I'm not sure why they took this stance and basically didn't give a f*ck about my goodwill, and I'd steer clear of them if you're thinking of going with them. This kind of behaviour does not show the company in a good light.

Thumbs up

I'm not going to argue with him. He ordered a custom plan which he wasn't happy with, asked us to make numerous changes, and therefore spent countless hours with him to help make it work, only for him to say "Nah, I don't like this support, I didn't read the policy, so I'm gonna take my money back and then argue about 'goodwill'." He didn't take the refund offered.

Alex,

If it was in your TOS and you don't refund the user, technically you're in the wrong.

Sad.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Actually,
    If it was in their TOS (about TheNuke being able to edit policy at anytime) and then they'd be technically right. If it was not in their TOS, then it'd be wrong.

Perhaps the original poster can give us a better time frame as to when this happened as TheNuke's TOS appears to have last been editted on "6/9/05"

jmweb: yes, that editing was as a result of my talking with the manager and was the addition of clause 21, happened just before i signed up.

6/9 was the day he asked us to make changes to better fit him.

Originally posted by HP-David
    Alex,

If it was in your TOS and you don't refund the user, technically you're in the wrong.

Sad.
    A 15 day money back guarantee is part of our policy and is mentioned on the package info. We did not deny him a refund however as part of the refund policy he was not given a refund of a waived setup fee and $5 for customizations the client required. Unfortunately the total of the refund came out to be somewhere around $4
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

haha, so its not really worth it anyways then..

ok so if i dont sign up for a custom plan i should get 100% refund right... ok

Are you being sarcastic?

If there are no setup fees, and no fees incurred during service then yes, technically you will get 100% refund.

Say you get package A for $10, with no setups, and don't ask for us to install anything thats not within the package, then you can get your full $10, however if there is a $3 setup fee, and you ask us to install something for you, and say that costs $5 then you'll be only getting $2 because we dont refund setup fees or one-time charges.
    Webair Internet Development Inc.
    Shared Hosting Managed Dedicated Servers SEO
    1.866.WEBAIR.1 www.webair.com 24/7/365 Support Adult Friendly
    My comments do not reflect the views of the company or its management.

Sounds to me that TheNuke would have better off just refunding him whatever he paid, unless of course they felt that bad publicity and looking like they are out to nickel and dime clients to get around their stated policy for $5 makes them look professional.

Hmm...seems thenuke.net is down as well..lol..."page not found".

seems thenuke.net is down as well..lol..."page not found".
    If their customers' sites are down as well, things are definitely not funny. Anyway, I wonder what happened... It's over 6 hours later and the site is still down.

It went down whilst I was 'trialling' them too. Asked their support and they said they were working on the domain. Also, my site did go down for a time because they were apparently recompiling Apache. Just glad I jumped from this rather rickety, leaking ship to a more sturdy one. :-)