What Does This Mean: Someone pulled the plug?

Though we recently switched hosting companies, before we did, we were having problems for over 6 months with our site being down almost daily. According to Internet Seer...the site was only up 47% of the time.

I would get technical support on the phone everytime and each time, I was told the thing about the hackers (sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here), and they also told me that many many hosting companies are having this problem right now.

Then the last time the site was down (just a few days ago)...they told me someone had pulled the plug on their servers...and they were fighting with them on the phone. I had the feeling, they were not paying their bills.

This is a company thats been around since 1999 and I thought they were fairly good sized...but now I've got my doubts. Additionally, they said technical support was in one part of the country, the servers in another, and billing in another. Does this make any sense to you guys?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions...but this site has been a real enlightenment for me.

As for the different services being everywhere, they are probably outsourcing everything which means they would be in different locations. As for having a site thats up 47% of the time, thats a horrible rate, unless it was based over an hour. I would suggest you move to a more reliable host.

BTW: Pulling the plug could mean, the datacenter (where the server is housed) pulled the ethernet cable (which your data passes over) or the power cable to the computer.

Common sense says change hosting companies.

Georgie,

Actually - with most of the traditional telco carriers (phone companies, cell companies, etc.) this is very much the case - everything is decentralized.

As for pulling the plug, it usually means disconnection, either for non-payment or for some security/AUP violation - which is actually the case is anyones guess.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Yes, they did mention a "data center"... and we already did change to a new host because of this as I stated before. I was just wondering what the heck is wrong with the old company as we had never had the problem before.

In a general sense, (not just talking about electronics) pulling the plug means to put an end to it.

For example, "This project is causing too many problems, so I've decided to pull the plug on it"

Datacenters don't just "pull the plug" for no reason. I know we actually give at least one warning before we yank a server offline. Think about it, if we pull a server offline...we aren't going to be paid for it anymore. Its in the datacenter's best interest to keep a good client online. When its no longer a good situation (lack of payment, insecure servers being attacked over and over again, etc.) - then we pull the plug.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)