Need for Hot Standby?

A few friends and are think that more and more people are going to be interested in "hot stanby" servers. Idea is this server gets updated either daily or whatever and if your server goes down, this one picks right up like nothing happend. Now, we would place multiple sites on one server as standys and if one uses it the others get moved to another server. We got an interest in this when we tried to find hot standys for our servers and what's out there stinks. Ideas, thoughts?

I did not really get the idea of it. What are you looking for?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

You run a server. Something happens, building on fire, flood etc...now, everything is gone. Hot standby server would take over and continue to run your site with not more than 5 monites downtime.

Thanks. Seems like I am too tired today and brain is not working normally anymore.

You should get a Dedicated Server in a state-of-the-arts datacenter with reliable network connectivity and support. Or you should try colocation.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Re: Need for Hot Standby?

Originally posted by detz
    A few friends and are think that more and more people are going to be interested in "hot stanby" servers. Idea is this server gets updated either daily or whatever and if your server goes down, this one picks right up like nothing happend. Now, we would place multiple sites on one server as standys and if one uses it the others get moved to another server. We got an interest in this when we tried to find hot standys for our servers and what's out there stinks. Ideas, thoughts?
    Actually, SAVVIS has something like that - it's called "Utility Computing".
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

it would be afforable but could save you butt if it's needed. Probably $25/month idle but if it goes active you pay dedicated fee until it's "shut off"

it would be afforable but could save you butt if it's needed. Probably $25/month idle but if it goes active you pay dedicated fee until it's "shut off"
    Actually, under SAVVIS' platform, there is no second server sitting beside it, already running- it's provisioned automatically right before the primary hardware fails and the data is loaded onto the new server automatically as it's all done via shared storage mechanisms. (The server itself is diskless - the actual switchover takes ~ 2 minutes or less.)

If you want, I can pass you the name of a SAVVIS rep that I work with - it's semi-pricey tho - ~ $400/month.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

thanks for the info jslivko but Im not looking anymore, I was thinking of starting a business to provide this to people cheap. The reason that is so much is because you have that second server right next to it. In my idea the server is located offsite and updated every so often, if your server goes down this one would pick up the slack until it was brought back up.

thanks for the info jslivko but Im not looking anymore, I was thinking of starting a business to provide this to people cheap. The reason that is so much is because you have that second server right next to it. In my idea the server is located offsite and updated every so often, if your server goes down this one would pick up the slack until it was brought back up.
    Ahh..... but then lies the issue of DNS repropogation, etc. Unless you can use the same IP addresses, etc. (SAVVIS can do this), then your talking about another 12-24 hours before all the sites are truely live again. As far as being able to do it offsite, I believe that can be arranged too.

Well, thought about that you your site would have to point to our DNS/Ip's which when forwards it either to your site(if it's up) or the backups server(if not)