Fedora Core 2 is Good ?

Hello,

My server is Fedora Core 2.
    now I have a question.
    Is Fedora Core 2 good for server ? or I should change my server ?

Thank you

You should not change if you are comfortable with it. I would use fedora C3 or 4 because it is newer. Have you checked out CentOS 4?
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

While it makes a passable desktop if you like rpm-type distributions, I personally would not use any Fedora version for a production machine.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

I would update from Fedora core 2 to 3. Its a simple migration.
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

CentOS is much more logical for a production webserver.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

Originally posted by Neosurge
    CentOS is much more logical for a production webserver.
    Mainly because fedora core utilises a lot more betaware when compared to CentOS.
    Rob Greenwood

Centos is more stable than Fedora, it's compiled from the enterprise code that Redhat sells. It's not a bleeding edge but you may not need to be.

Raphael
    raphael@rippleweb.com

Yes, and we also find that CentOS works rather well with Cpanel; A very stable combo.

Yes, we have a dozen of servers with CentOS + cPanel and CentOS + DirectAdmin in our rack.
    We've found them to be very stable (if used with decent hardware ofcourse) , also under high loads .

Fedora is the building blocks for redhat enterprise / centos.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Well... upgrading is always if you are sure everything runs smooth with the new version. But be cautious, i had to re-image my server.. i fter i realized that plesk was not supported on fedora 3. I had to install everything from scrap again.

Originally posted by isplhost.net
    Well... upgrading is always if you are sure everything runs smooth with the new version. But be cautious, i had to re-image my server.. i fter i realized that plesk was not supported on fedora 3. I had to install everything from scrap again.
    This shows you should research what OS you are using and software compatiablitiy. Also I heard there were some problems with CentOS 4 and cPanel, It was installable but it was tricky getting installed and wasnt as stable as planned. Im not sure if this issue was fixed yet.
    Rob Greenwood

Fedora is our OS of choice. CentOS might be great but haven't really checked it out thoroughly. I'm open to anything stable and reliable and we have hundreds of custom built RPMs for FC now. We are very comfortable with it and the servers run great. But we are a Plesk shop primarily.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

fc-4 is new...i think fc-4 is better than fc-2

but i do not like FC i think centon is better thaN FC

If possible, I would stay away from Fedora as its a Desktop OS and has a short lifecycle - which means you will be upgrading your servers core components on a regular basis. This is not something you want to do on a production web server.

I would recommend looking into CentOS 3 or 4, it has worked quite well for us, and is a free rebuild of RHEL.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Funniest thing I heard in a while.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Edit: Which post are you referring to?
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

Hello There!

FC2 is a perfect OS for linux servers. However I would suggest to use one of CentOs Releases on your next production servers.

For now the best release is CentOs4 ,After installation make sure to disable Auditd to ensure stable operation of your system.

Originally posted by Chris Royber
    Hello There!

FC2 is a perfect OS for linux servers. However I would suggest to use one of CentOs Releases on your next production servers.

For now the best release is CentOs4 ,After installation make sure to disable Auditd to ensure stable operation of your system.
    Hardly, As you know centOS 4 is a source release of RHEL4 which is hardly used on production hosting enviroments at the moment, there are too many failed dependancies between most control panels and Cent/RHEL4 to make it stable.

As things stand, CentOS 3 or RHEL 3 are your best bets for a hosting enviroment. If your running a CP'less system then the world is your oyster.
    Rob Greenwood