Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 10 Yrs!

After 10 Yrs!

Just think what would be after 10 yrs from this year.

What would be the look of WHT?? how would you have been changed,

LOL ... I'll come in and look around, that is, if I were still around that time.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

I doubt WHT will exist then, but I could be wrong...
    It will probably be called Brain Nano Scopic Laser Hosting by then

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

10 years from now, we won't have desktops.. We'll be posting from a chip in our brains.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

I am not sure if WHT would still be around in 10 years, but if it is I would most likley still be posting. I would be in the range of 30,000 + if not more.

People could stop posting .. i wont.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

I hope WHT will be around for the old time sake.

I see 10 years as a very short amount of time.

*If* things go to plan, I know exactly what I will be doing. I will have left the UK, to move to Ohio. I will be sat in an office with my two associates, running our own business, rather than working from home, and I should have a very handy customer base, both in Web development and Web hosting, behind me.

As for the likes of WHT, that is another question. Personally, I very much see it still been around, with not much having changed apart from the design.
    - Jamie Harrop

I was going to say the same thing. I doubt WHT will be here in 10 years, but who knows. Even my crappy personal web sites I have registered up through 10 years from now, and so they'll probably still be around and up, I just don't know if they'll have any useful content or if anyone will be visiting them.

Ten years is a relatively short amount of time. I see no reason why WHT won't be around in ten years; the Web is much more established and here to stay than it was several years ago, and WHT, itself, has been around almost five years. Why shouldn't it stay for another ten? Sure, it may change somewhat; perhaps it will get completely redesigned, it will use a different version of vBulletin -- perhaps not even vBulletin or PHP, at all! -- and it may be in a completely different format, but I think the site and general idea will be here for years to come.

On the other hand, with ISPs like Verizon and its very fast FIOS service entering into the mainstream market and becoming increasingly available at much lower prices, people may be hosting their own sites by then. It may help that people are getting more computer literate, but then again, I'm sure packages will be out that enable the home user to get his site set up and hosted on his speedy home connection in relatively little time.

If the latter idea takes off, I wouldn't expect WHT and the web hosting industry to survive much longer, at least not in the volume we see today.

It will have a lot of multimedia glitz, because no one will be expected to have dialup by then.

There's no way WHT will be here, even if we want it to. Once the oil crash becomes reality, our global communications infrastructure simply will be too expensive.

In 10 years, us web development nutheads will be in no position to sit on the web and craft the jumble of closely sequenced words that is WHT.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I will have left the UK, to move to Ohio.
    Jamie will join the ranks of the great Ohioans
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

And those DAMN DIRTY APES will be ruling the world!

in 10 years woah.. guessing i'd probably get married by then, wouldn't visit this dump anymore, lol kiddin, or not. Who knows what will happen to WHT, only time will tell.

10 years from now you can buy "host your own web site in 3 steps!" cd-rom from office depot, 2 for $5
    www.Yekaroo.com - Your Chinese Radio Online!

And people still won't be any closer to figuring it out.

i think various people will have forgot about WHT, and one day they will be playing on archive.org and remember it... and find it hasnt changed a bit and will fall in love with itonce more

10 years is no time at all. I certainly think WHT will be here a lot longer than another 10 years, its too massive to fail within that period. Furthermore, even if as you say people will host from home with these fantastic packages and cheap bandwidth, then they'd come here for tech support, and the webhosting lounge. And our natural oil resources won't have depleted after only 10 years more
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

i think, wht will be there but people would change their style of liviing and no more cars or bikes, only spaceships

Hopefully in 10 yrs time, prohacker has updated VB to at least version 4.5.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Hopefully in 10 yrs time, prohacker has updated VB to at least version 4.5.
    Then why does my crystal ball show, "Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.7 Copyright © 2000 - 2015?"
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Ahhhh come on now Dennis. In 10 years, I'm sure we'll at least get into Version 3 somewhere.
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

We'll, for sure, talk about it a mess.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    We'll, for sure, talk about it a mess.
    And how outdated it is!
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by Jeff - Exceed
    resources won't have depleted after only 10 years more
    Won't be depleted, but won't be growing like they are now. If energy supply doesn't grow, and demand rises -- you know the rest.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

i think wht will still be around then. But i think technology will be really advanced then. hopefully
    .-=={[(' Sitedesigner ')]}==-.

~Entrepreneur at heart~ Pm me.

I think WHT will exist, but the forum names will be changed!

Originally posted by danman
    Won't be depleted, but won't be growing like they are now. If energy supply doesn't grow, and demand rises -- you know the rest.
    Energy supply can't grow, unless it hasn't been discovered yet. By the time it is even close to becoming halfway diminished everything will be ran by solar power, electricity, etc.

Originally posted by TBRich
    Energy supply can't grow, unless it hasn't been discovered yet. By the time it is even close to becoming halfway diminished everything will be ran by solar power, electricity, etc.
    I probably shouldn't have hijacked this thread, but, now that we're started....

If you are talking about supply (in a physical sense of what energy is potentially available), then you are correct it can never grow. I refer to energy supply in a sense of what we are able to harness and extract for consumption.

Internationally, oil production (has) grow(s)(n) slightly every year. This growth helps curb the increasing demand for oil (China used 30% more last year!). Unfortunately, we are very near, or even at, the peak of production. This means, never again will the world ever produce as much as we are currently producing. It gets worse: production will gradually fall once we hit the peak.

The model I speak of was originally developed by US Geologist M King Hubbert in the 1950s. Hubbert said that United States oil production would peak in the early 1970s. It did.

The difference is, we were able to turn to international supplies to compensate for the shortage at home. (We now only produce 50% of the oil in the US that we use)

What happened to the US in the 1970s will happen on a global scale. But on a global level, there is no where else to turn to for extra oil. Then the **** hits the fan. And WHT is no more.

</hijack>
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Originally posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I see 10 years as a very short amount of time.

*If* things go to plan, I know exactly what I will be doing. I will have left the UK, to move to Ohio. I will be sat in an office with my two associates, running our own business, rather than working from home, and I should have a very handy customer base, both in Web development and Web hosting, behind me.

As for the likes of WHT, that is another question. Personally, I very much see it still been around, with not much having changed apart from the design.
    No reason to believe that just because customers CAN host their own sites in 10 years means they will. Consumers are able to do a lot of things now that they couldn't do before...It still requires skill.

I think we've gotten the message about oil. I hope we get a better alternative sooner than later. Oil sure is messy. We have alternatives they just aren't cheap enough to implement right now.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

There's no way WHT will be here, even if we want it to. Once the oil crash becomes reality, our global communications infrastructure simply will be too expensive.

After the crash, we'll have all we need: Bartertown and Thunderdome.

After the oil crash, i will use my non renewanle resources ,

Originally posted by pixelized
    I think we've gotten the message about oil. I hope we get a better alternative sooner than later. Oil sure is messy. We have alternatives they just aren't cheap enough to implement right now.
    Actually, that's not really my message. I don't believe anything can save us, or will save us. There's nothing nearly as energy rich as oil.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

I saw Oil Storm, too. :-)

Originally posted by Tim_Greer
    I saw Oil Storm, too. :-)
    Ah, that movie. Actually I've been into this topic for many years. But that movie really stretched it. It had potential, but it was terrible.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Yeah, it sort of made a real issue into a joke. But, that's TV for you.

If you are talking about supply (in a physical sense of what energy is potentially available), then you are correct it can never grow. I refer to energy supply in a sense of what we are able to harness and extract for consumption.
    Sorry, yes I should of clarified better. I meant that all our non-renewable resources, oil, diamonds, etc. well...will not be able to renew thereselves. Sure production will increase, and i'm sure were getting closer to the peak of that, or maybe we are at that right now. What i'm trying to get at, is by the time that the oil decline has a huge effect on the economy, we will have developed alternative methods for energy use.

We have already started that process, with hybrid cars. Hybrid cars will become more and more popular over the years, and as technology develops we will eventually have fully electric/solar powered automobiles. In my opinion, technology is definately evolving faster then the oil supply is decreasing.

Oil is not the largest supply of energy available, or once available. It might of been the largest physical supply, but your forgetting about the one thing that the earth gets most of its power from...the sun. Alright so now you might tell me that "With all the solar powered equipment the sun is going to run out of energy and could cause an Ice age" WRONG. For one it would take millions if not billions of years for us to drain the sun so we take away from the warmth needed. Secondly..Global warming is becoming more and more of an increasing threat, the temperature has been increasing by quite a bit over the years, if anything maybe it would help drain the effects of this and prolong global warming.

Originally posted by TBRich
    Sorry, yes I should of clarified better. I meant that all our non-renewable resources, oil, diamonds, etc. well...will not be able to renew thereselves. Sure production will increase, and i'm sure were getting closer to the peak of that, or maybe we are at that right now. What i'm trying to get at, is by the time that the oil decline has a huge effect on the economy, we will have developed alternative methods for energy use.

We have already started that process, with hybrid cars. Hybrid cars will become more and more popular over the years, and as technology develops we will eventually have fully electric/solar powered automobiles. In my opinion, technology is definitely evolving faster then the oil supply is decreasing.

Oil is not the largest supply of energy available, or once available. It might of been the largest physical supply, but your forgetting about the one thing that the earth gets most of its power from...the sun. Alright so now you might tell me that "With all the solar powered equipment the sun is going to run out of energy and could cause an Ice age" WRONG. For one it would take millions if not billions of years for us to drain the sun so we take away from the warmth needed. Secondly..Global warming is becoming more and more of an increasing threat, the temperature has been increasing by quite a bit over the years, if anything maybe it would help drain the effects of this and prolong global warming.
    I think you might be missing the real point though. Hybrid cars are not the solution. Using a bit more solar power, is not the solution.

The problem is, oil is a much bigger bargain than we think. In the energy industry, an energy source is often measured in its EROI, or Energy Returned on Energy Invested. (There are other similar acronyms used) The EROI is essentially a ratio, it measures how much energy comes out compared to how much it took to harness that energy.

When humans first started harnessing crude oil, the EROI was up to 100 in some places. This means, for every 1 unit of energy that went into drilling and producing oil, 100 units were gained. The current EROI is roughly 30. (Or an energy gain in the thousands of percent)

Compare that to any other source and you will realize why we 'are in for it.' Sure, slowly switching to Hybrid cars might delay the inevitable a little bit. In fact, it might even make the situation worse by giving common folk a false sense of security. There is nothing that can even compare to oil.

You also mentioned a notion that we will have developed enough sources of alternative energy by the time a real crisis arises. Well I've got news for you: It just isn't going to happen. Some experts believe, as I've said, that we are already at 'peak oil.' ....and demand is still rising.

Unless the world can dramatically improve the performance of the over 200 million combustion engines on the road, retool millions of industrial applications around the world, revolutionize the production of common goods (i.e. plastic) within the next three years, and <?php echo="$random-energy-source" ?>, -- there is no hope. International communism is not far off, and WHT will be nothing more than a memory.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast