Thread: XMB or phpBB?

XMB or phpBB?

Hi folks,
    Have anyone tried out both XMB and phpBB? Between the two, which would you consider to be the better forum, especially in terms of resource usage and security? Would appreciate your feedback.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

i would say to go with PHPBB, it is better than XMB and even if u consider later to switch back to another forum, you will have the covertor at that forum

If resource usage is a consideration, you should look at Simple Machines Forum, phpBB is somewhat of a hog and I haven't used XMB for at least 2 years.
    --

Originally posted by ambirex
    If resource usage is a consideration, you should look at Simple Machines Forum, phpBB is somewhat of a hog and I haven't used XMB for at least 2 years.
    Yes, in my opinion SMF is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than PHPBB. I've used IBF, PHBB and SMF so I'm not just blowing smoke so to speak.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

cPanel used to use XMB and switched to phpBB, if that says anything.

I didn't think XMB was even still being developed?

Go with phpBB – No question about it. I wouldn’t touch XMB with a barge pole. Not to mention that the next version of phpBB ( http://area51.phpbb.com/ ) is looking VERY good and will certainly be worth the wait. When it comes out I won’t really have an excuse to buy vBulletin or use any other forum.

I didn't think XMB was even still being developed?
    As far as I’m aware Richard is still working on it… god knows why though. IMO he should have left it to rest when the group broke up; having said that if it weren’t for Richard there wouldn’t have been as many problems as there were. Oh well…

I would choose PhpBB

I would avoid XMB at all costs, but that's just my personal opinion.

They've both had their holes, but I've seen way more db corruption in bad XMB boards than in even very busy phpBB boards.

The general consensus seems to indicate that phpBB is a much better choice than XMB. I guess that answers the poster's question.

I've used XMB and phpBB, when the XMB was still under much development, I preferred it because of it's lightness and speed. But since the software is hardly even used anymore, few or no updates have been made. Therefore, phpBB is still growing at an amazing pace, so I'd recommend you go with that.

You guys are tremendous! Thanks for the valuable feedback! If I may ask for a little bit more, I noted some were saying that SMF uses less resources than phpBB. How are both compared in terms of security?

There's a thread about phpBB and security that's recent here, actually. My "personal opinion" is that phpBB is one of the more insecure forums, but I'm sure there's others that are perhaps more insecure. I've seen a lot less bugs and security issues in other forums. WHT uses Vbulletin, if you want to pay for a license--it's better than a lot of the alternatives, though it could be improved a lot, and unless you want to spend a few weeks or months, depending on the features, to create a better alternative, it's probably one of the better one's out there.

If you are subscribed to any security lists, you'll see phpBB exploits mentioned there all the time. Of course, some other exploits don't get mentioned or publicized, so that's not to say other's are more secure because of that, but I see a lot of the same exploits pop back up after one or two releases or so and that's unacceptable in my book. At the same time, you have a dozen or two people all updating the code on open source software a lot of the time and that is what creates a higher potential for security issues--well, the number of people working on it, that is. phpBB should be okay, as long as you keep up to date and update as soon as there's a new exploit found (and there will be). It's definitely also not the most resource friendly software either.

phpbb was good but the updates in my opinion have been lacking in the last year.. therefore I would think XMB is now a better choice.
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

I have tried XMB , PHPBB, SMF and VB.

I had a pretty busy XMB forum and the MySQL tables were always crashing. Almost everyday I would have to repair tables.

PHPBB was better as it didnt give me so many errors, It just always seemed to be a security issues no matter what. They would fix one and another would come around. got annoying quick.

VB is great. I have been using it for about 3 years on one of my personal sites. The only downside is that it cost money

I just started using SMF. Sofar it seems fast and seems to work well. Im still setting it all up and havent made the site public yet. But sofar it seems it will do good.

Give SMF a try, or if you have extra money go for VB

Thanks for your help, guys! Appreciate all your comments. Will try the free ones first before considering the paid ones LOL ...

You may consider also Burning Board Lite (an example is http://forums.ffspira.com ). Or simply check www.big-boards.com , so that you can compare and see examples of the most popular forum-software.

Good luck!

Im using XMB 1.9.1 nowadays (I used to use phpBB but it is too amateurish and I had a terrible time with SMF recently) and it has been stable, reliable and is a lovely forum to admin.

Also, the users like it.
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    5sterling.com & 9dollars.us - No-frills budget web hosting, VPS, shoutcast and domain names!

Originally posted by ambirex
    phpBB is somewhat of a hog.
    Do you have any proof on this? ( It could be if a phpbb forum have 20 – 30 or more mods/hacks then yes that could happened especially if the mods/hacks are badly made), but if its just a fresh (out of the box) install of phpbb, I would not think so.

have you considered giving Simple Machine Forums a run for your money? Its free and much better than phpbb.

http://www.simplemachines.org
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Fulk
    You may consider also Burning Board Lite (an example is http://forums.ffspira.com ). Or simply check www.big-boards.com , so that you can compare and see examples of the most popular forum-software.
    Good luck!

Hmm ... this is new to me. Thanks for the link. I guess I've much more to learn about forum boards .. and I thought that I had my choice all narrowed down two .. LOL ...
    Thanks buddies for all your wonderful feedback!

phpBB is my fav

Thanks, streryan, and welcome to WHT .

If you're willing to spend just a little bit of money, check out Invision Power Board, the best in my opinion. vBulletin is just a resource hog.

And as far as free goes, SMF is very good.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    If you're willing to spend just a little bit of money, check out Invision Power Board, the best in my opinion. vBulletin is just a resource hog.

Thank you, I'm minded to give SMF a try. I'll probably try a paid board only if I run out of a reliable option among the free ones .. LOL ...
    BTW, I like the blazing mast on your site .

Originally posted by BaselineAce

I have found Invision Power Board v1.3 Final. It has been claimed that it is FREE. So, is it REALLY free or it have to be payed?

Also, would anyone recommend use of a such old(er) version?

It was free, it isn't now, it is against the license agreement to redistribute it and there wont be any support for it or security patches.