CDGcommerce = Bad

I set my company up with this outfit because of the low rates they were advertising.

The bad:
    They tacked on fee's that were not in the merchant agreement.
    They signed us up for programs with hidden setup fee's that we did not authorize them to.

I called in to ask why they had done this they told me they would get back to me and instead they just closed our account without notice. So I called in again and get a unprofessional/static voice message and the mail box was full. So I resorted to email, and they replied oh we closed your account because "your company is on a TMF/MATCH list".

Apparently sometime back in 1999 we had someone reverse a single charge that we disputed with AmEx because the customer had already picked up the merchandise as we also have a storefront. Our bank felt that we were in the right considering we swiped the card and had a valid signature so they reversed the charges for us.

Ok, fine so we are on this list and they didn't want to do our online processing because of it.

They should have contacted us for starters before up and closing the account.
    They should not have added tack on fee's that were not listed in the contract that we signed.
    They should not have signed us up for services that we did not request.

Luckily we didn’t cancel our merchant account with Wells Fargo before this happened, they may be a bit more then the average company but all our deposits go in the next morning instead of the 3-5 days later they were taking with cdgcommerce.

I just wanted to give a warning to anyone thinking of switching to this place. Merchant fees are very hard to reverse so they can tack on any fee's they want and your almost powerless against it. And it's just not worth taking them to court for a bunch of fee's that don't even add up to over $200. It's just the ethics of it that bug me.

So watch out for this place and if you’re currently with them take a look at your statement and I bet you will see some of these extra fees as I'm guessing we are not the only place they have done this to.
    Last edited by Kiamori; 06-16-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

What fees, exactly, did they tack on?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

We use CDG and so far, their service has been very good. As far as fees, I do not see anything out of ordinary in our statements. Perhaps you need to get your reading glasses and read the fine print in you contract one more time.
    Last edited by GrindKore; 06-16-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Re: CDGcommerce = Bad

Originally posted by Kiamori
    and they replied oh we closed your account because "your company is on a TMF/MATCH list".

Apparently sometime back in 1999 we had someone reverse a single charge that we disputed with AmEx because the customer had already picked up the merchandise as we also have a storefront. Our bank felt that we were in the right considering we swiped the card and had a valid signature so they reversed the charges for us.
    I really doubt you would be on the TMF list because of a single charge back.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

They signed us up for a new discover network account, we did not request this. Discover charges a $25 non-refundable setup.

They set us up for an authorize.net account when we already had one that did not charge $15/mo + .50/transaction. They also charged us more then quoted for visa/mc, they were placing stuff under unqualified @ that should not have been.

They added an excess aths fee of .26 beyond the normal .26 that was taken out with each depots that should have been .25.

For example, with on batch of $125 in payment they took out 2.1%(2.63) + 4 transactions at .26 (1.04) then at the end of the month they took out another .26 for all transactions past 30 and another 2% for "nonQual" transactions even though they all verify YY(address)(zip) with our other merchant account.

Not to mention they tack on the $10 monthly fee. (the only fee they got right)

The only thing that we signed with them stated that it was 2.1% and .25 per transaction with a $10 statement charge and thats it.

I did some research and cdgcommerce is a reseller of: united bank
    card: 1-800-201-0461 so it is possible all these errors are united's fault however this does not excuse them not responding to my concern.

// We did the chargeback on AmEx so yes I'm sure they put us on there for it, it was a $5,000 computer purchase that the customer had in there position and AmEx was taking there customers side so we dropped them and did a chargeback on AmEx. We haven’t used AmEx since 1999 because of that.
    Last edited by Kiamori; 06-17-2005 at 12:58 AM.

You complain about $25 non-refundable fees and $20/month or something.... How much you process a month if this is bother you THAT much ? $500 ? If you are small merchant - use 2CO then.

It has noting to do with the amount of the setup fee and everything to do with ethics here, we never requested or signed anything to be setup with Discover Network. Not to mention they added .26 extra for every transaction past 30. That adds up when you are running several thousand transactions a month. Not just one .26 charge but one at the time of the transaction was done .26 was taken out of the deposit and another at the end of the month with the monthly statement for every transaction past the first 30 we were .26, so a total of .52 per transaction. Plus they took out another 2% for nonQal transactions on 40% of the transactions that should have been qualified. It states nothing about any transaction limit in the contract. Not to mention who would get a merchant account to only process 30 transactions?

If it was only the one $25 setup fee of discover I wouldn't think twice and would have been happy saving $25 less the first month. But it was setup fees for a service that was not requested, false nonQal charges, extra transaction fee's, closing the account without notice and saying it's because we are on a TMF list for somthing that happened almost 6 years ago and nobody responding to my request that made the issue relevant enough to find a spot on a public forum as a warning to others.

Does nobody else see anything wrong with this?

The rates that they had listed in the contract would have saved us nearly $2,000/mo in transactions. I was trying to save money for my company. They tacked on some unlisted fees ended up costing more to process though them then our bank after all the misc fees. It may have all been a computer error who knows. But they have not gotten back to us on the issue so I can't say.

Originally posted by steven-v
    You complain about $25 non-refundable fees and $20/month or something.... How much you process a month if this is bother you THAT much ? $500 ? If you are small merchant - use 2CO then.
    I am guessing you don't mind throwing out money each month but most serious businesses do. If it is $1 it would still bother me.. The problem is if you let everyone nickel and dime you and take .26 here and .50 there you end up adding it all up at the end of the year and realize how much it is then I am guessing you would have a different view.

What you're saying very well may have happened to you, I certainly have no reason to call you a liar. But in my dealings with CDG, and with people I've talked to, I've always thought very highly of them.

Well - I'm sure this post will get a lot of visits with such an incredibly dramatic title for the subject, even if it is completely unwarranted and not an accurate portrayal of the situation --- in fact, it's not even close.

Nonetheless, I will proceed to address each one of your points in turn, being careful not to disclose anything regarding your account that you have not already publicly stated here as we take our client confidentiality policy very seriously even if someone decides to make unfounded comments every once in a blue moon.

First and foremost, regarding your comments on the TMF/MATCH placement - one of the questions on both our online merchant agreement and faxed agreement asks whether or not you have ever had a merchant account that was terminated before.

If a merchant indicates that this is not the case, we accept it at face value and approve & deploy the account.

The TMF/MATCH check is then done on the bank level but we do not wait to get this result back as doing so on all of our apps would result in virtually all of our merchant apps getting delayed by a couple business days or more.

Positive TMF/MATCH results come back in maybe 1 in 1000 apps that we receive so they are very much the exception to the rule and when they do happen, the account is closed because it is against our policy to underwrite a merchant placed on the TMF/MATCH.

This is never even a remote concern for virtually all merchants who apply with CDG because exceedingly few have ever had a prior merchant account placed on the TMF/MATCH list and those that do - generally know this is the case and explain this to us upfront.

As you stated in your situation, your account had indeed been placed on the TMF/MATCH list by American Express. This was done prior to you ever contacting us and had absolutely nothing to do with us... we didn't get you put on that list, what you did previously resulted in your placement on it.

The part that I find ironic here is that we spent quite a bit of time on our side to help you get your account removed from the TMF/MATCH list after the fact. There were many hours spent from our staff side bouncing around between the various parties involved and done for your own benefit and no other reason.

We even suggested that you return to your original account and gave you a suggestion on an alternate program... never once ignoring you or dropping the issue but doing everything possible to navigate between yourself and Amex to find out why you had been placed on it and to help you get removed from the list.

Secondly, I will address your claim about "tacked on fees" - this is completely and entirely untrue. Frankly, I am really surprised that you would even make a comment like those you stated above because you know that this is not the case at all.

Before any merchant can even sign up for our merchant program, they are presented with the entire list of all rates & fees that apply. We are not even required to do this but we do so for the simple fact that we believe in full disclosure and want every merchant who signs up to fully understand all rates & fees.

This page has to be specifically confirmed by the merchant before they can even submit an online app to us... and on top, everything is clearly indicated once again on the merchant agreement that each merchant prints, reviews, signs & faxes back to us.

We do not even underwrite a merchant account until someone faxes us back the signed agreement and documentation to further ensure that any questions that they have are fully answered prior to sign up.

Third, regarding the "hidden setup fee" (for Discover setup) - this is completely untrue and again, this is something that we clearly disclose.

Again, on the online app promotion page it states that Discover has a one-time $25 application fee... and this isn't even a fee charged by us but rather by Discover! (however, we still fully & clearly disclose it)

If your merchant app has the box checked for Discover and you don't already have a Discover merchant account #, we apply you on this. Most merchants want to accept all four (4) of the major card types - Visa, MasterCard, Amex & Discover and for the vast majority, we thus set them up on all four.

Most merchants consider a one-time application fee like that to be a minimal cost to accept a card type (Discover) that is growing in popularity but in the occasional times that we have ever accidentally applied someone for Discover when they didn't want it and stated so - we've always refunded them for the fee out of pocket and done the right thing.

Fourth, I have to say that the way that you portray CDG is not at all reflective of the truth and it never has been... and it never will be.

As thousands of merchants over the years can attest, we have gone out of our way to build numerous technologies & support systems for our merchants that provide them with unparalleled access to their account activity and information down to the penny.

That is why we built our MerchantPortal(tm) system - to give merchants instant 24x7 access to every penny of their account activity from transactions to batches to settlements, fee deductions, end of month fees - you name it - it's all there... along with easy access to their statements online as well as mailed copies.

We have invested a lot of time, money & resources into our Chargeback Defender(tm) & Fraud Defense System(tm) tools to help merchants reverse as many unfair chargebacks as possible and to provide built-in fraud scrubbing - all at absolutely no additional cost when our competition provides either nothing of the sort or charges quite a bit extra for it.

On top of this, we have always been truthful and straightforward with our merchants. I can sleep very well each night knowing that we do the right thing and that we work hard to do our part to help our merchants achieve success and provide the payment processing solution that is the right one for their needs.

While I am sorry that you ran into unexpected issues when you applied with us due to your placement on the TMF/MATCH result, I do not think that your comments are fair and justified... in fact, they are really borderline slanderous in the way that they attempt to paint a picture of CDG.

No company is perfect but there are many, many hundreds of folks on this forum alone and tons of others who can tell you first hand that their experience with us as been exceedingly positive and that is why we have one of the very highest retention rates in the industry and why most of our new accounts are generated from word of mouth based on the strong reputation that we have built since our start in 1998.

If there is anything further that we can do to assist you, our support team is more than happy to help. If your only goal, however, is to disparage us with remarks that aren't accurate, there is really nothing that we can do about that and I will simply wish you the best of success with your future endeavors and leave it at that.
    Last edited by cdgcommerce; 06-17-2005 at 03:28 PM.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

Well, thats a solid explanation! I really hope this will be helpful for Kiamori.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

We've been a customer of CDG for over a year. All fees were disclosed upfront and I've never had any weird charges appear on our statements or taken from our bank account.

I think some merchants may get confused by all of the various charges and not realizing that the charges come from different companies. Authorize.net charges fees, Discover/AmEx charge fees, CGD charges fees, etc. All in all...the fees are relatively cheap for the priveledge of being able to accept credit card payments and the customer support we've always rec'd from CDG has been top-notch.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Thanks for the kind words, Tina, Slavik & Derek, they are always much appreciated.
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

I have not yet signed up for an account with them, but they have made sure to answer every single one of my questions so far. To me they seem great. I look forward to signing up with them still when the time is right.
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.
    Providing quality service since 2002

Thanks, Neil. We'll look forward to working with you.

They have also answered all of my questions with regard to getting an account for a future non-hosting endeavor quickly and without pressure. It seems they see the value of a future customer who does their due diligence and can wait patiently for the business. I'm impressed so far and glad to see a positive response to a set of claims such as this.
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

Oh.... I'm definately signing up with CGD

Yeah I have to agree with others in that CDG is definitely a top-notch company. Chris, and his team have always gone out of their way to help us out. We've made referrals to CDG, and the referrals we've made are equally satisfied.

Sorry thread starter, you aren't going to get any support in this thread-- CDG has built up too good of a rep. for that

Zak
    CEO of SingleHop

Wow... this brings the negative CDG thread count up to approximately 1, unless you only count the valid complaints, but that's still at least 0.

A non-qualified rate goes into the effect because of the following
    Nonqualified—A standard card is keyed in without AVS, a corporate card is keyed in, or a transaction is not batched or settled in 24 hours.
    Business credit cards, PayPal business debit cards, and international cards all do this. Nobody is sitting at a console in CDG's office trying to charge more money on random transactions - Nonqualified rates are applied to certain transactions automatically.

I remember going through the document mentioned, which lists all charges. If you did not check to accept Discover card I am sure if you sent them your copy of the form they would refund you. There is a checkbox for every service offered with all the fees. To me, it appears you simply did not go through that very carefully.

I looked through my invoices from CDG just now and I do not see a single charge that is not as I agreed. I have been a big fan of CDG, actually letting me properly dispute chargebacks, etc. and overall I would recommend them to anyone.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I guess we turned this thread upside down?

That was... Ironic :-D

...and we have not heard from the thread starter since CDG stepped in to explain...
    Plexi Hosting and Web Services LLC - Solid hosting, gift cards

TalkShoe - Live, interactive podcasts

I have also used CDG for well over a year now.

There have been two instances of billing discrepancies.

The first was Discover charging the App fee, which they should not have as the application was submitted prior to the fee being implemented. Chris immediatley sent a check out to resolve the issue.

The second was an extra fee charged by united bankcard. Kathy immediatley issued a refund to the account that was there the next day.

My point is, problems can occur. But in my two instances, CDG has immediatley resolved both upon alerting them of the issue.

Another satisfied CDG user here..

While I no longer have my merchant account [due to the fact I no longer own that business] I was always quite satisfied with CDG and their service and support. Questions were answered promptly and friendly, and I still remember how the documents I had to sign were all very clearly laid out, with descriptions of fees, etc. I never felt that I was being deceived with hidden charges.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Third, regarding the "hidden setup fee" (for Discover setup) - this is completely untrue and again, this is something that we clearly disclose.

Again, on the online app promotion page it states that Discover has a one-time $25 application fee... and this isn't even a fee charged by us but rather by Discover! (however, we still fully & clearly disclose it)

If your merchant app has the box checked for Discover and you don't already have a Discover merchant account #, we apply you on this. Most merchants want to accept all four (4) of the major card types - Visa, MasterCard, Amex & Discover and for the vast majority, we thus set them up on all four.

Most merchants consider a one-time application fee like that to be a minimal cost to accept a card type (Discover) that is growing in popularity but in the occasional times that we have ever accidentally applied someone for Discover when they didn't want it and stated so - we've always refunded them for the fee out of pocket and done the right thing.
    I think this should be made more clear on your applications that you have to opt-OUT if you don't want Discover. I was also applied for Discover and charged the $25. The box on my application was not checked and everything that I read said that it was optional. I did email support and they said it would be credited on my next bill, but it was not. Then I was told to call Discover and get them to credit me on my next bill with them - no thanks.

Other than that, everything has been excellent (going on 1.5 years). Support can be a little iffy at times, but I email Chris and he always takes care of things. I haven't noticed any downtime or technical problems at all and I recommend them to my customers whenever someone asks.

CDG has my vote -- we've used them in the past and when ever we had a problem
    Chris and crew made it a point to put everything aside and help out. They still do
    processing for our AN Hosting brand and I really don't have much to complain about.

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

I've been a bit busy to check the forums.

Here is my response to cdg,

I have yet to receive a response outside of these forums. I can post the signed contract, emails and statements if need be but I think a simple response from cdg off of this thread to clear up the mistake would be the best solution here. All they need to do is look at the account and signed contract to see that they have an error. The lack of response is the problem here.

If cdg was doing something to get us off the TMF list it was not to my knowledge, as I was not notified. As I said before, our account was canceled without notice.

Looking though my records the TMF thing was cleared up back in 2003 when we switched to Wells Fargo, Here is the document from the merchant to Wells Fargo: here cdg didn't do much research as this should have already been cleared up.

All I was looking for is someone from cdg to contact me back, which hasn't been done yet. The account was closed over a month ago and I have put in several requests for someone to contact me since then. I even called in to cdg and was informed the computer systems were down so she could not help me. I asked her to take a message and she said she couldn’t because the system was down and hung up on me.

Discover told me when I called in to them originally that cdg earns a commission for every merchant they signup for discover. Perhaps it’s common for them to just sign everyone up to earn the extra commission as most merchants do accept discover, we just happen to be one of the ones that doesn’t.
    Last edited by Kiamori; 06-18-2005 at 03:42 PM.

I would also like to add that it seams from the responses here that cdg is for the most part a good company. However, in our case they failed to prove that they could provide the type of service we expect from a company we would trust to process all of our online transactions.

Hi Area51, I'm happy to contact you to help you further with anything and will do so right away to assist you further.

Also, as a quick comment - based on the feedback that we've received in this thread, I think that we will add a new field to our secure online application system on the final page and have a more conspicuous checkbox on that whereby a user can more easily opt out of Discover instead of just doing it on the final printed PDF.

While merchant processors like CDG do get a small commission on Discover sign ups (which is also passed through to our resellers compensation as part of the account profit), the main reason that we make it a streamlined process to auto-apply is because that is what our merchants have requested time and time again.

In the past, we used to do the Discover & Amex applications separately but found that many times, merchants expected all four card types to be activated right away so we streamlined the process to do it all from a single application.

However, my thought is that by us making this even more clear on the online app's final page - that would avoid the occasional confusion that might otherwise take place and alone makes it worthwhile to do.

I also look forward to discussing with you any other specifics that you'd like.

While the outpouring of positive comments from some of our merchants has been greatly appreciated, I do want to stress that our sincere goal is to really have 100% merchant satisfaction and clearly in this case, you weren't happy with the way things flowed on your account and I'd like to take any possible steps we can to improve any aspect of our process that can be further enhanced.

Chris,

I tried to reply to the pm you just sent. I get the following error:

"This user's mailbox is currently full, and cannot be sent any messages until it is cleaned out. An email has been sent notifying the user of this. Please try your request at a later time."

I sent you an email, if for some reason you don’t get this email please let me know.

I got your e-mail, you'll have a response momentarily. Thanks.

Regarding the PM problem... I just realized that the WHT Premium Subscriptions must now be up for renewal and we had been a premium member which comes with extra space for PM's.

I had not received any e-mail from WHT notifying us that the annual renewal was up for it so it just dawned on me that this was why people were getting "too many messages" errors when they tried to PM me today even after I had cleared out some space to make room.

cdg..you guys really are great..had 1 billing problem and was resolved overnight
    Last edited by lelahosting; 06-19-2005 at 03:06 AM.

I spent a lengthly time on the phone with cdgcommerce earlier today (Their dime) and every question was answered professionally and graciously. I intend to refer a local customer locally to them and then move one of our services from a local merchant provider to cdg. If the signup goes smooth, the information accurate and their are no obvious suprises in favor of the vendor cdg we'll move more accounts over.

So far I'm impressed with the service, I'm sorry the poster has had trouble, I intended to check it out for myself and am glad I did.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

CDG - what steps have you taken to cover the CardSystems Fiasco if they dont comply with the MasterCard Filing?.... I notice that you switched to Merrick Bank. Wouldnt that mean you also did like the others that switched and went with cardservice/maverick? Or am I wrong?
    John Travis - [COLOR="Green"]The Internet Merchant Account Guru
    * Best Merchant Accounts - US Based Businesses Only * Click Here to Request Rates * Eco Friendly Hosting
    * ENZU Intelligent Cloud Hosting / VPS / * Dedicated Servers * Great Prices! *Click Here for Our VPS/Server Specials! *

Thanks, Lelahosting & Samuel.

Regarding your question, Aci-John, we actually have merchants on a number of different front-end authorization networks (Maverick, Vital, Paymentech, etc.) depending on the gateway or POS system being used.

In the event that one authorization network would cease to be available or get de-listed, the course of action we would take would be to simply port over the account on the back-end side to one of our other available front-ends.

This transition is the kind of thing that can be done seamlessly as it has no real impact on the merchant's processing activity, settings or configuration on the front-end side.