Authenticated Registration shows host e-mail limitations

We just upgraded our website with authenticated registration and are now constrained from our current hosts shared web server which has delays in processing our scripts. We want to avoid paying for a dedicated host due to budget constraints.

Our script takes registration information and uses an object on the host server called CDONTS (MS?) to send an e-mail to the new user to authenticate their password. Users are complaining that they are not receiving their authentication password at all or on a delayed basis. Host confirmed there may be queues that delay processing since it is a shared host. From time to time there are other e-mail providers that block e-mail from our host, due to users that abuse the server.(causing our visitor to never receive an e-mail) It stays blocked until our host satisfies the provider that something has been done to stop the abuse. This happens on a regular basis with differing times for resolution.

Now we need to either:
    1) Migrate to a new dedicated host(relocating the site and tweaking all the scripts)

2) See if there is a third-party(non MS) object that can send e-mails from our script, using any third party e-mail server(that allows us to send email from a script that is not living on their server) and keep our current provider if they support that object...or a new low cost host that will support it, if our host does not support it.

Our main priorities are to 1) Have a solution that instantly sends out that authentication e-mail 2) Keep our monthly hosting bills under $40/month 3) Have minimal migration costs

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

New service provider MUST be on a Microsoft Windows server
    with IIS (NOT Unix/Linux/Fedora). It MUST support Microsoft ASP for scripting and Microsoft Access for the database. Provides SQL Server support as well so that we have some room to grow if we move to SQL. We have one script that runs Microsoft XMLHTTP. For file/photo uploads we use Persits ASP Upload.

I need help in strategies to accomplish our tasks, service providers(host and/or e-mail) and advice on which solution is best(or alternatives that all you wizards out there have.)

You time is very much appreciated!

Craig
    Phoenix, AZ

if possible i would use CDOSYS, its the upgrade from CDONTS.

MS dont provide customer support for that anymore.

also there where some trancing issues within CDONTS.
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

So will CDOSYS allow us to use a third party e-mail provider while residing on our current host? How does CDOSYS, solve our overall problem? Thanks

using CDOSYS , you can set a mailserver

ie xx.xx.x.xxx

an ip address or alias

it is alot better the only issue maybe distance if your host doesn't support it.

as it will be sent from your location (host) to a 3rd party.

most windows host support CDONTS and CDOSYS , but CDOSYS is the better of the two
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited

With the distance issue, how much delay could that really cause? I also have no idea what e-mail provider I should use that will process these instantaneously without delay, and how much it would cost. Any reccomendations?

who is your current host?

they may provide CDOSYS support.

you may want to look at either a new full package. because of the cost related to extra packages.
    i recommend jodohost.com they are very good.

and i believe they aren't blacklisted, ive used them, and recommend them

the distance issue can depend on where the servers are , but maybe a second or so.. can depend alot on both servers your better keeping all in one place.

No e-mail delay from Shared Host?

Thanks for the tip. Our host does not support CDOSYS, so I have to migrate to a new host. I have spoken with jodohost and it seems like a good match. My question is this:

Can you expect a shared host to be able to instantly deliver a password activation e-mail as soon as someone registers for your site? (or a very short wait - less than 1 minute)

Jodhost said yes with this response:

Regarding shared server with no delay "Amit: we have 3 GB RAM over our mail server there is no such kind of problem. All Mail Servers Dual Xenon"

Regarding blockage by another E-mail provider: "clients cannot abuse the server, as they cannot relay more then a specified no of mails until they sign a legal form with us. Honestly, we are blocked 2 Times by AOL and 1 Times by SPAMCOP and the issuse get resolve in 8 hrs.'

Can I get some opinions on this?

craig

when i was sending emails from them, it was almost instantlly.. most of the time quicker than switrching (alt tab) to Outlook and send and recieve.

and had no problems with blacklisting.. i would recommend the 30 day free at least but i would use them again

My webmaaster and programmer are telling me that to switch there will be 4 to 10 hours of programming involved (a lot of money when they are $75/hour). Does this sound reasonable? - Quote:

"Most of the work required in the migration is going page by page through the admin system and then through the user-side and hitting pages that have some kind of scripting behind them to make sure they work. Some pages will inevitably fail because the database is in a new location, an ASP component is different, permissions are set properly on a file or folder, etc. This is the big unknown (4 versus 10 hours) because I don't know how many of the pages will function just fine and how many will require some tweaking/debugging to get them working again.

The process would be to copy (FTP) all of the existing files down from your site including the database. Then copy (FTP) these files up to the new host. Then I would use the new system's hosting control panel to make sure the permissions are set correctly on the database folder/file. Then do a quick visual inspection of some key script libraries (for example, the one used to connect to the database) to see if there is anything obvious that needs to be updated. Next, the time-consuming process outlined in the
    paragraph above of going through each of the admin and user scripts in a browser - just like you and your customers would - to find out what doesn't work and then to set about fixing it."

Craig

This is probably legitimate, but shows some poor programming design.

Well designed site/scripts would have the database connection info in one place and would not be relying on custom-crafted permission settings and components.

All special components that are used should be documented an perhaps even wrapped so you could replace them in one place and not hunt them down all over your site scripts.

Originally posted by cbird01
    My webmaaster and programmer are telling me that to switch there will be 4 to 10 hours of programming involved (a lot of money when they are $75/hour). Does this sound reasonable? - Quote:

"Most of the work required in the migration is going page by page through the admin system and then through the user-side and hitting pages that have some kind of scripting behind them to make sure they work. Some pages will inevitably fail because the database is in a new location, an ASP component is different, permissions are set properly on a file or folder, etc. This is the big unknown (4 versus 10 hours) because I don't know how many of the pages will function just fine and how many will require some tweaking/debugging to get them working again.

The process would be to copy (FTP) all of the existing files down from your site including the database. Then copy (FTP) these files up to the new host. Then I would use the new system's hosting control panel to make sure the permissions are set correctly on the database folder/file. Then do a quick visual inspection of some key script libraries (for example, the one used to connect to the database) to see if there is anything obvious that needs to be updated. Next, the time-consuming process outlined in the
    paragraph above of going through each of the admin and user scripts in a browser - just like you and your customers would - to find out what doesn't work and then to set about fixing it."

Craig
    Voicegateway.com Web Services - High-performance Hosting & Fully Managed Servers
    Specializing in Virtual Machine Hosting with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 hosting and Newsletter/Mailing list services