Thread: Keyboard Type?

Keyboard Type?

What keyboard setting do you have?

e.g. DvORAK, QWERTY, AZERTY?( I think)

I'm thinking of learning Dvorak switching from qwerty

i type pretty fast with qwerty already, but i might be able to pique that using dvorak dunno besides, i got nothing to do over the summer

what keyboard settings do yuo have? and are you relatively fast with your keyboard?

my qwerty is 120 wpm if anyone cares to compare
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Re: Keyboard Type?

Originally posted by Lord
    What keyboard setting do you have?
    my qwerty is 120 wpm if anyone cares to compare
    Get out of town, thats 2 words a second, I just don't believe you....sorry.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I use qwerty. The only other type I've ever used was alphabetical. And that's only because me and fellow class mates got bored in lesson and re-arranged the letters on a qwerty keyboard :p

edit: Is there an online thingy that'll measure my wpm?

qwerty

120 wpm also

I've never heard of any other keyboard other than qwerty.

Where do you get the other keyboards? Do they have them at places like bestbuy/circuitcity?
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

I use QWERTY. Never tried any of the others before. I average about 80wpm but can peak to 105wpm if I really put some effort into it.

Never tried any other type of keyboard before, to tell the truth, didn't even know any others existed.

My WPM used to be around 100, but I'm not as fast a typer as I used to be, prolly around 70 - 80 now.

QWERTY naturally.

Dont know how fast I am and cant be bothered to look for a stopwatch

I dont know what the difference is???

It's the order of the letters on a keyboard. The most common type is "QWERTY" because Q-W-E-R-T and Y are the first few letters on the keyboard. AZERTY keyboards, start with A-Z-E-R-T-Y

Originally posted by mouldy_punk
    It's the order of the letters on a keyboard. The most common type is "QWERTY" because Q-W-E-R-T and Y are the first few letters on the keyboard. AZERTY keyboards, start with A-Z-E-R-T-Y
    This is understable. What about Dvorak???
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

QWERTY all the way !
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

QWERTY, of course.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an English speaker on WHT that doesn't use QWERTY, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just took a typing test. I was getting ~ 135 WPM, but then I started making mistakes and fell to around 100 after 40 seconds or so. When I copy things like that, combined with seeing that friggin' rate changing every time I typed, I don't do very well.

qwerty of course, however I can't really figure out what model my keyboard is.

It has a dual cable, PS/COM, it's a compaq and has on the side some wierd slot, much similar to a memory card slot. Has a label with a small rectangle and an "OK" on it. On the keyboard there is a led with the same label, which blinks all the time.

Don't know what it is or what it does...
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Dear Alex,

Thank you for assessing your typing skills with
    the free TypingMaster Online Test - and welcome back
    to www.TypingTest.com.

TYPING TEST RESULTS

Here are your full test results:

- Test Name: Strategic Alliances with Competitors
    - Date: 2005-06-13 02:54
    - Test Time: 01:00
    - Gross Speed: 120 WPM
    - Errors: 3
    - Accuracy: 97%

- NET SPEED: 117 WPM

Get out of town, thats 2 words a second, I just don't believe you....sorry.
    hehe, it's okay my friends didnt bleieve me either when i said so at school

yeah, sometimes i type so fast when i look at my fingers i go wtf did i hit the right keys? cause i still dont know how i type so fast, especially when i pique farther than 120wpm for a few seconds

yeah, QWERTY is most popular since its standard but you know, some peolpe might have changed an dhit higher WPM's
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

AZERTY is found on French keyboards, QWERTZ is found on German keyboards, and QZERTY is found on Italian keyboards. These are different only because some letters are swapped and others are added to accomodate the different letters of each language; also, some are more commonly used than others, so they're swapped with standard QWERTY letters.

The Dvorak keyboard is not actually the layout of the top six keys from left to right, but is named after the person who patented it, Dr. August Dvorak. Dvorak keyboards are rarely used by home users, but are sometimes used by secretaries and other typists, as some find it much more comfortable, efficient, and easier to type on. Find more information about Dvorak here.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    AZERTY is found on French keyboards, QWERTZ is found on German keyboards, and QZERTY is found on Italian keyboards. These are different only because some letters are swapped and others are added to accomodate the different letters of each language; also, some are more commonly used than others, so they're swapped with standard QWERTY letters.

The Dvorak keyboard is not actually the layout of the top six keys from left to right, but is named after the person who patented it, Dr. August Dvorak. Dvorak keyboards are rarely used by home users, but are sometimes used by secretaries and other typists, as some find it much more comfortable, efficient, and easier to type on. Find more information about Dvorak here.
    Yes, IIRC, they had to change from Dvorak to QWERTY to keep the old typewriters from jamming, as people would type faster than the strike heads could get out of the way of each other.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs