Question Java process on host

Hi,
    Do any web hosting companies give you the opportunity to run java processes on their server?

The reason i ask is i would like to have a java process which collects and assimilates data from a few other websites and then writes out an XML file available from my domain.

I am a novice so any suggestions appreciated.

TimWilliams,

The majority of providers should have no issue with it, just be very upfront about it and include it in any research that you do.
    Last edited by Odd Fact; 06-16-2005 at 02:16 PM.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

A good number of hosts are open to just about anything provided it doesn't impede too much upon other users, system security or processor power...

As long as your Java process doesn't hog any resources then I don't think you'll have a problem convincing a host to allow it.

Some hosts are nervous about giving out SSH access, so if you require that then you'll probably find it to be a hurdle at some hosts.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

Thanks for all of your replies. So when i come to research this i'm guessing this isn't a feature that most hosts will advertise up front? is there any special lingo i should be using when asking for this facility?

So when i come to research this i'm guessing this isn't a feature that most hosts will advertise up front?
    Most likely no.

is there any special lingo i should be using when asking for this facility?
    Just make sure they have Java installed, that they will allow you to run background processes, and that you can have SSH access.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts

Originally posted by colklink
    As long as your Java process doesn't hog any resources then I don't think you'll have a problem convincing a host to allow it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like java, and do some work in it... but java .. not being a resource hog?!
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs