Need a unique hosting company

Greetings everyone,

There are a million hosting companies and I have tried three with very little luck. The three I have tried are-

Hostway.com - Server was constantly going down, and customer service was impossible to contact
    Westhost.com - Great customer service, but the software at the time was way out of date
    Zylink.com - Good customer service, but server is constantly going down(at least for my account).

Type of hosting provider we need is unique -

We will be using the provider for development only, since this is for development it is crucial they are always installing the latest technology, this and up time our main concerns. Software we are concerned about - PHP, Apache, and MySQL. Both PHP and MySql release new version constantly, we need a hosting company that once MySql or PHP latest release is stable, it is installed immediately.

General requirements
    -Linux
    -Be able to run cron jobs
    -Prefer a shared hosting plan or VPS, but if needed to meet the requirements we can go with a dedicated server.
    -Price is not a factor
    -U.S. based

Has anyone seen such a hosting provider?

Thank you greatly,
    Wade Willett
    wade.willett@schoolswithoutlimits.org

Maybe it would be better if you go directly with dedicated server?

LayeredTech offers some low budget servers, which I am sure will be suitable for you, $65/month + $19 Setup fee:

http://www.layeredtech.com/
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Wade,

I would personally recommend a vps solution if you're going to require the latest software to be installed at all times.

It would definitely be the best option if you need the latest software installed at all times.

Hi David,

At westhost I had a VPS solution, but didn't have the software updated very often, and we had to constantly install it ourselves. It would be nice to have a hosting company that kept up on the cutting edge of the php, mysql, apache software.

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Wade

Wade,

One option is to do a search for hosts who meet your general requirements, then contact them to inquire as to the frequency of their software updates.

Wade,

The majority of providers offer management solutions - although that will raise the pricing considerably.

Most VPS packages are unmanaged - meaning that yes it would be your responsibility to keep the software up to date.

Hi,

The biggest thing is I would like to find a hosting company that I can rely on who always be updating their software, so I don't have to do it myself or hire someone.

If a hosting company can provide this, I will pay for this excellent feature.

Wade

Originally posted by Wade Willett
    Hi,

The biggest thing is I would like to find a hosting company that I can rely on who always be updating their software, so I don't have to do it myself or hire someone.

If a hosting company can provide this, I will pay for this excellent feature.

Wade
    ServInt is a very respected hosting provider here, who provides fully managed VPS's. They will update the software, as you request it.

www.servint.net

I was with them for some time and found them to be top notch, both in hardware, network and their support.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

That sounds like a good deal, will be investigating them very closely.

Thank you,
    Sirius

Thumbs up

I would suggest a VPS from HostForWeb
    They use cPanel WHM and with VPS you have full control of Crons etc.
    Also to update most software to latest versions is usually easy through WHM although you will get little "warnings" about the latest releases not being fully tested or whatever, you can still upgrade them with a click.
    And they have a great support dept. if you needed something unusual upgraded.
    Shared hosts won't usually run the "latest" of everything because the new versions might be great for you but still have a bug or glitch that could disable other sites on the server. That's why VPS at least would be the way to go, you control what version of what you want.
    BTW: If you order from the company I suggested be sure to give them details in your order that you want the latest versions of whatever you want the latest versions of when it's set up, and they will do it.If you don't mention it, they will set up your VPS with the current "stable" versions by default.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Wade,

I would suggest going with a dedicated server. Perhaps with The Planet. They are very good about getting all OS and patch updates. They have great tech support as well. If price isn't an issue, I'd go with them. Their low end runs about $250 a month - but you pay for quality!

Take a look at liquidweb as well, they are having a $10 off sale right now and are well known for their management

If you look in the VPS hosting offers you'll see their ad as a sticky.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I have to admit $250 is a little high for me for a development server.

I would recommend that you go with a VPS solution rather then a dedicated server

Try PowerVps.com or Servint.com both are good companies with a great reputation around here.

This isn't a difficult thing to do or an unusual requirement. I think the problem is that so many hosts use software like Cpanel, which they rely on for the updates--some being that Cpanel will break if you attempt to install something yourself. So, sometimes (a lot of) hosts are locked into not being able to update as often, and this plays a role in your decision of when, what and how they can or will do the updates.

I personally see no reason to wait once something is proved secure and stable, since PHP has enough bugs and security issues to want to keep updating it as soon as it is reasonable or needed. No way I'd wait, and no way I'd use Cpanel. And, to be fair, I'm not just talking bad about Cpanel--I'd just had enough with that damn thing, but other control panels do it, too, especially things like Ensim.

I'd never consider any interface to control what I can run or not, or how or when things are updated, in that they have to work with the control panel. It's a freaking interface--not an auto-admin and it's not acceptable to wait 6+ months for it to mark something stable that's been stable for many months. No way should it rely on it for the interface to work, and while I understand that non stable could mean "it might break your client's scripts", that wasn't the case in that example. This could play a role in whom you choose to potentially go with.

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for your comments on Cpanel. Comments like these help on many decisions.

Wade

It depends, as well, perhaps there's a Cpanel based server company that will attempt or is able to or bothers to update all the software and completely bypasses Cpanel, so be sure to ask, I'm just going from my experience. Cpanel should, in theory, update the servers to the newest, stable and secure versions of any RPM sub versions of software/services, but they do not update to the newest versions you want is all I mean.

For development get a low end dedicated server. 64MB of ram/5GB hard disk/256kbit connection is ok. Keep in mind that maybe you need a remote reboot port with your server in case it crashes.

Originally posted by CretaForce
    For development get a low end dedicated server. 64MB of ram/5GB hard disk/256kbit connection is ok. Keep in mind that maybe you need a remote reboot port with your server in case it crashes.
    It would be difficult to find a server with that low of specs (and who would want one?). I can't tell if you're joking.

well try http://www.hotlinkhosting.com

i hope you can get what u expect to