Thread: Luggage Locks

Luggage Locks

I was switching channels when I came across QVC advertising special luggage locks that you can use on your luggage when flying:

http://shop.qvc.com/product/toys-cra...2355/F9425.htm

Basically each lock as a code underneath and the TSA personnel has a key for each code (about 5 codes so far) and they can open your luggage and check it, without having to break the lock off since they have a key for it.

But my problem is, the reason I put a lock on my luggage is so airport personnel don't go through my stuff. What if one of the bag handling men have a key and goes through my stuff? But because he had a key, it doesn't look it was tampered with, so I may not even realize there is something missing in my luggage until I get to my destionation.

I obviously do not put important stuff in my luggage (carry on instead), but I don't like the fact that my luggage can easily be accessed by someone at the airport if they the magic key.

I wouldnt worry about it - most of these locks can be opened by pulling a funny face at them anyway.

I got into one with a plastic tooth pick
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

I can get into any baggage lock in under 20 seconds. Extremely easy to do. It doesn't matter what you put on it.

I still don't totally understand luggage locks. With air travel the way it is, the TSA is required to break off locks. They are hand inspecting many, many bags -- and in most cases do so in the open. And even the GOOD luggage locks are junk. (Also realize that if somebody really wants to get in a bag. they can make a little slit in the usually cloth sides of the bag)

The bottom line is this: If there is something you are really worried about getting stolen, don't pack it.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

danman - exactly correct.
    In all honesty, whenever you lock something up people think there's something valuable in there. Leave it unlocked, just don't leave whatever it is lying right on top. In the socks is a good place to leave something valuable, otherwise, take it on the plane in your hand-held luggage.

Even before the TSA rules I had my locks broken off my suitcases more times than I can remember. They would break the zipper holders most of the time. Days where you could lock your luggage are over.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Originally posted by DevilDog
    Even before the TSA rules I had my locks broken off my suitcases more times than I can remember. They would break the zipper holders most of the time. Days where you could lock your luggage are over.
    I just don't appreciate the attitude of the TSA screeners; they're incredibly self-righteous and totally disrespectful of, effectively, their customers. They rip open your baggage; they dump everything out onto this table for absolutely anyone with prying eyes to see; they rummage through it, throwing everything around and out of place; they take everything that they deem "violations" of the regulations (they took several pens and pencils that I was going to use for doing my homework from my carry-on baggage); finally, they hastily and incompetently zip up your bags and throw them on the X-ray belt. Oh, and I forgot to mention the pained and contemptuous expression they give you.

Traveling by air is just a pain nowadays, whereas it used to be a pleasure.

I agree that travel is no longer nearly as pleasurable. I haven't experienced too many jerks at the TSA but they have messed up our bags pretty badly enough for my wife to complain to the TSA and she's not the complaining type.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Help protect and secure your belongings while you travel with this sturdy set of combination locks from Austin House. Outfitted with a three-digit combination, the heavy-duty metal locks are ideal for everything from backpacks, carry-ons, and even duffel bags. A logo identification on each lock alerts airport security screeners that the locks can be opened and re-closed using a special code. This feature helps secure your belongings while allowing Transportation Security Administration screeners to operate efficiently. Set of three.

Yea thats just got crime written all over it... Lets see here a 3 digit code, so you mean to tell me, that if I buy these locks, I can sit and try all possible (1000) codes, and find out the "Secret" code.. Now I have this handy logo which if I see on someone elses bag, I can just open right up....

Nice idea but totally flawed, that and the fact that the amount of people that know these codes (TSA) I am sure will eventually slip out at some point and time, making all these locks pointless...
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I agree that travel is no longer nearly as pleasurable. I haven't experienced too many jerks at the TSA but they have messed up our bags pretty badly enough for my wife to complain to the TSA and she's not the complaining type.
    While I acknowledge that you and I are both different kinds of people, I don't appreciate having to take my shoes off, being asked to step aside, having to wait in this weird little space to the side of the checkpoint, and being wanded and patted down. If I wanted to get that kind of treatment, I'd commit a crime; to my knowledge, I haven't committed any crime by purchasing tickets and traveling by air. When I'm at the airport these days, I feel like I'm the most heinous of criminals. Imagine that: a 15-year-old suicide bomber.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    While I acknowledge that you and I are both different kinds of people, I don't appreciate having to take my shoes off, being asked to step aside, having to wait in this weird little space to the side of the checkpoint, and being wanded and patted down. If I wanted to get that kind of treatment, I'd commit a crime; to my knowledge, I haven't committed any crime by purchasing tickets and traveling by air. When I'm at the airport these days, I feel like I'm the most heinous of criminals. Imagine that: a 15-year-old suicide bomber.
    You guys must have guilty written all over you, I went on a weekend trip to Chicago a month ago, and another weekender to France about 2 1/2 months ago, and personally I haven't seen ANY changes.. I still had to empty my pockets, put my bag through the machine and walk through the thing..

I removed all metal, so i never get wanded, I have never had to take off my shoes, and I usually travel with just 1 carry on nothing else, which has never been dumped out or rummeged through.. Since 9/11 I have probably flown 20+ times..

How do you think I feel? I'm a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Marine Corps with a Top Secret Clearance. I have a military ID card and I still get screened like everyone else. I try not to let it bother me.

Honestly, the thing that causes me the most consternation is getting through security with two toddlers in a huge stroller and all the logistical carry-ons we have for them. It takes us 5-10 minutes to get through and our 3 year old has to walk through with his shoes off. Then we have to put everything back together on the other end of the conveyor while the people behind us our piling up. I'm always anxious about slowing people down.

I really dislike travelling under the new measures. I have to fly to CA this Tuesday with my family and eventually on to Japan. What a freaking nightmare!!
    Rich

I've seen TSA screeners that are total jerks, and I've met nice ones. It depends on how busy they are, and how much they care. Usually they do not care. I've also never had anything dumped on a table, they go through the bags with gloves.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

Originally posted by Trifolic
    You guys must have guilty written all over you, I went on a weekend trip to Chicago a month ago, and another weekender to France about 2 1/2 months ago, and personally I haven't seen ANY changes.. I still had to empty my pockets, put my bag through the machine and walk through the thing..
    Huh? Just because I wear a turban, have a long, brown beard, long sideburns, and am strapped with explosives, you're saying I look guilty?! Pfft... everyone else looks guiltier than I!

I removed all metal, so i never get wanded, I have never had to take off my shoes, and I usually travel with just 1 carry on nothing else, which has never been dumped out or rummeged through.. Since 9/11 I have probably flown 20+ times..
    It really depends what airport you fly out of. Some of them enforce the shoe policy strictly, while others don't, and still others enforce it sometimes, while not other times.

All of them usually, however, make you take off your shoes if the detector beeps when you walk through it, so I'm surprised that you didn't have to. If you were wearing tennis shoes, that's probably why, but most mens' casual (not tennis shoes) and dress shoes have some metal in them.

Some airlines have special security lines for those with, for example, a Premium Executive and 1K frequent flyer status (for United). However, I believe the TSA is still enforcing their Fascist policies on these lines, as well; there's really no hope of getting around them until they're permanently gotten rid of.

How do you think I feel? I'm a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Marine Corps with a Top Secret Clearance. I have a military ID card and I still get screened like everyone else. I try not to let it bother me.

Honestly, the thing that causes me the most consternation is getting through security with two toddlers in a huge stroller and all the logistical carry-ons we have for them. It takes us 5-10 minutes to get through and our 3 year old has to walk through with his shoes off. Then we have to put everything back together on the other end of the conveyor while the people behind us our piling up. I'm always anxious about slowing people down.

I really dislike travelling under the new measures. I have to fly to CA this Tuesday with my family and eventually on to Japan. What a freaking nightmare!!
    Wow. That must really be awful for you and your family. Good luck on Tuesday; what airport are you flying out of? DCA is the worst in terms of the TSA, but I'm sure that won't help you now.

I wonder if they would scan and pat down President Bush.

I still find it weird that the pilots have to go through the same things we do... I mean, they already have complete control over the plane, what would they need to bring on to crash it?

I still find it weird that the pilots have to go through the same things we do... I mean, they already have complete control over the plane, what would they need to bring on to crash it?
    Regarding the pilots, perhaps these regulations and processes are designed to keep pilots from taking sharp objects, which could potentially be used to harm themselves. After all, we don't want them committing suicide in midair; some of them are so drunk that they might actually try.

Sound plausible?

Regarding the pilots, perhaps these regulations and processes are designed to keep pilots from taking sharp objects, which could potentially be used to harm themselves. After all, we don't want them committing suicide in midair; some of them are so drunk that they might actually try.

Sound plausible?
    You're reaching with that one there...

You're reaching with that one there...
    Yes, I'm reaching, but the question is, "how far?"

Yea thats just got crime written all over it... Lets see here a 3 digit code, so you mean to tell me, that if I buy these locks, I can sit and try all possible (1000) codes, and find out the "Secret" code.. Now I have this handy logo which if I see on someone elses bag, I can just open right up....

Nice idea but totally flawed, that and the fact that the amount of people that know these codes (TSA) I am sure will eventually slip out at some point and time, making all these locks pointless...
    Not exactly. On the bottom of the locks is a 3 digit code (ie. TSA003) and the TSA employees have keys with those codes. Bottom of the lock has a key hole where the TSA employee locates the key (so far there are 5) that matches the 3 digit code underneat the key lock. now they can open the lock, look inside, and close it.

The security code is only known by you, the keys are only given to TSA. Locks are only made just for traveling (not for anything else).

My problem is How do I know that the TSA is the only person with the key? What about the cargo men?

Wow. That must really be awful for you and your family. Good luck on Tuesday; what airport are you flying out of? DCA is the worst in terms of the TSA, but I'm sure that won't help you now.

We're flying out of Reagan National.

TSA guys know not to be rude to me. I have a "look" like the Rock from Be Cool
    Rich

Originally posted by Rob83
    My problem is How do I know that the TSA is the only person with the key? What about the cargo men?
    Thats what Trifolic just said...

OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources

We're flying out of Reagan National.
    AKA DCA. Ack!

TSA guys know not to be rude to me. I have a "look" like the Rock from Be Cool
    Hah. Good luck with that one.