Lightbulb Yahoo's Standard Plan ?

I have gone through Yahoo's Standard hosting plan & found it quite fine. I have just one doubt:

under the: site Security > Password-protected user accounts

It says that the plan provides you with 50 password protected user account. Now what does that mean. Actually i need my customers to Join my website and then download the content.

Now i would like to know how many people can actually join my website. Is it restricted to 50 ? Or it means something else.

Please Explain. Thanks

maybe you should ask yahoo?

Maybe that means 50 clients are supported if you are reselling?
    TWC, LLC - USA based w/ three teams behind us!
    We will beat any web development or design quote

http://totalwebcentral.com/

Contact Yahoo as 3rdcoast advised, that's the best solution to find the right answer.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I've been finding out this and that hosting for a few months.
    Yahoo is one of my pick up list,'coz I'm sure they won't be out of business tomorrow,it's a mental trust about their brand.Plus the ease of use of the control panel which I already get used to with Geocities.And the ease of webmail,too.
    But reading their charts over and over,it seems offer so little compared with other hostings,that 's what hold me still.
    So do you mind writing more about experience with Yahoo Standard? I'd like to know more,really.Oh,please..^x^...

Yahoo is way too overpriced and support is slow as... well, it's slow.
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

i have Y Standard and it works perfect. nothing different than any other host. Yahoo is not overpriced, it is just at a premium because of the yahoo brand. support is not slow as i have both called and emailed. called and response was under a 5 minute hold, and email was responded to within 2 hours.

i have had business hosting thru yahoo for the last 2 years. and had Standard hosting over the last 6 months. i didn't even know about all the features until i needed another hosting package and i researched them more in depth and found out they deliver.

Yahoo isnt cheap, they ovbiously have support but it is a little expensive for some people.
    Web2.0 Hosting Directory WH-D.com Empowering our users!

why are you talking about price, obviously the OP didn't ask anyone's opinion regarding price. either help w/ the question or don't post.

Isarah, i am using my Y Standard plan to do VoiceXML programming and it is robust enough to handle that using php/mySql/VXML on their plan. and yes i use them for more critical hosting needs because they are Yahoo. same reason why when i want to order a book i go to amazon. they have built a brand and hoped you would trust them based on previous relations with the company. and to top it off, i love being able to use Yahoo email...i've used it for the last 8 years and it's only ever gotten better.

Yahoo is a company that will be around for a long time, but nevertheless, other companies tend to strive for higher customer support satisfaction.

Good luck!

This question will be better answered by Yahoo, they are the only ones who can tell you exactly what they mean by that statement.

Yahoo is very overpriced, and does not have the best reputation. There are other companies that you know aren't going anywhere, that may offer a better service.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

obviously, you bring price up because you offer hosting for much less and would offer similar/comparable services. but for some, like the OP, they are willing to pay for the Yahoo brand (whatever that may mean to the consumer).

Lightbulb

Put it in perspective, nothing personal against Yahoo just a few business principles to consider while you are at it:

(1) Forget pricing for now, over-priced-under-priced is all a matter of perspective.
    (2) Yahoo is a search engine first and was #1 at one time.
    (3) Yahoo is now becoming a "host" because Google killed them in the search engine business (and I'm no big Google fan) and they are adding potential "revenue streams".
    (4) Google has rumors of going into hosting...
    (5) What if Google does & "kills" them there too?
    (6) Yahoo recently acquired Overture and has done a decent job of screwing that up. And has no ethics about being the high bidder by a long-shot...after all they can pay anything, they are buying from themselves... Again the purchase was just good sense for a "big business" but they fouled it up in other ways too. Why should they know more about hosting than search engine advertising?

Yahoo may be a brand name, but not to hosting. They could leave the hosting business as quickly as they got in without a second thought. Like all "big business" if a "division" turns a profit they will stay, if it doesn't they won't or they will "cut back" until it does.
    Some companies are built solely on hosting. There are also some that are resellers & part-timers & even kids "hosting" from their bedroom after school. I know it's tough to choose.

If you find a hosting company that is in the business for real, as their sole source of income and livelihood, they probably won't be going anywhere.
    A main concern should be (and this is what you can find better than a huge "Yahoo" type company) the type support you in particular need, the features you personally need, a company that actually cares about what you as an individual need, and will do all it can to keep you as a customer.
    There's lots of other tips here, but do you want to be one of 100,000+ account numbers called "customers" at a mega-host or a "host" like Yahoo where hosting is a sideline business, or one of 50 or 100, or 500, or even 2,000 customers at a smaller but just as dependable host? Where do you think you will matter most to the host? That's where you will probably have the best experience for you personally.

(Coupled in your searching with the other common sense tips found in many threads here).
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

Come on people quit nagging about Yahoo and answer the OP's question.

From what you said all this means is that you can have 50 folders such as www.domain.com/folder that have a password which allows access only to certain people. However, if you don't use this an unlimited number of people can be visitors of the site as long as you have enough bandwidth. You should be good to go.

Thanks,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by Isarah
    But reading their charts over and over,it seems offer so little compared with other hostings,that 's what hold me still.
    So do you mind writing more about experience with Yahoo Standard? I'd like to know more,really.Oh,please..^x^...
    That's from the OP, I think we were just responding to other things for him to consider.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.

Ok people say they are overpriced....

"4 GB of disk space
    for a huge collection of images, graphics, or business data, plus 75 GB/month of data transfer to support your high-traffic site "

For $19.95 per month

Ok how on earth is this over priced?

Oh...yes,I forgot the OP has his question
    I remember password protected directories(50 or less up to the plan)
    It means you can publish some secret pages which allows only certain members to browse and see by giving them user accounts and passwords.
    For example,you published a page contained your nude photos for your boyfriend or girlfriend who worked oversea,you can make sure no one could see your photos but your boy/girlfriend only by making it a password protected dir/ and give him or her an account.(Make sure you trust him/her enough or...JESUS..
    )
    Well,since it has the title"Yahoo Small Business",I suppose it's for a company's employees or the website members,I also suppose more than one person could share the same account and password to browse in,but not sure whether more than one could browse in at the same time.Try it then.
    Mmm..another example around me is a website of a superstar FAN club,one must put in the password before enter the club to see what it provides,members pay for it annually.
    These are the idea.
    You can also set acconts and passwords to certain customers, just try to manage from amount of 50.
    50 members or 50 directories? I suppose a dir/ could have 25 accounts and 25 passwords for 25 members to log in.Also a page could have only one password and let some members get in,in various time.
    For nagging about Yahoo,I suppose it's just like SONY whose products are so various and people still trust and buy.
    But yes,also,some people prefer buying from a straight one product making company,like someone want to buy a digicam,some go to NIKON because it only makes the camera stuffs,some go to SONY or CANON without minding how various their products are,or how expensive they are,as long as the quality is trusted.
    So we can stop nagging and choose as we prefer...^^
    For me I feel comfortable with Yahoo,but I also tried some "only hosting" companies 'coz I know it's not a brand that counts, now I ended up wandering here 'coz it's really hard to choose '_'
    However,I'd try the best plan that fit my need.
    (Forget about pricing,I used to have a 3.95$ hosting and it was ....so slow.."got what I paid",suppose.)(Now 9.95$ a month and still not reach my satisfaction) '_-

i think the 50 password protected accounts refer to allow access to folders on directories (permissions). i think the OP needs to look at software/php script that allows him to have customers login and download content...oscommerce or even yahoo shopping cart. at least that's what i am inferring from the original question.

Thanks for making the PERFECT comparison to Sony. I have been one of those loyal Sony fans for years (except computers) TV's, Video Cameras, etc.
    Now after having 2 "top of the line" Sony TVs and a $1,000+ camcorder in a row go out with the oldest being 4 years and even though the problems were "minor" finding all would cost "more to fix than they were worth" (sure hated hearing that about my big "every feature you could get" flat screen WEGA) no more for me.
    I went to Wally World and got a big flat screen Sanyo on sale. Figuring yearly cost of ownership if it lasts a year it's a better deal than the Sony was. And the best part is if the Sanyo breaks at all during it's one year warranty-no service center, take it back to Wally-Word for an exchange for the same or better!

Now back to hosting, I'm glad there are folks happy with yahoo type hosting (heck I'm glad for anybody that's happy with their host period) but I think there is still much to be said for the "personal" aspect of customer service and somebody who really cares when they have a customer with problems.
    Maybe I'm especially ticked since Yahoo's (formerly Overture) paid search has been screwed up all evening with nothing more than a "sorry, we are working on it" notice almost 2 hours after it went down...maybe they'll get it fixed sometime...that was over 5 hours ago...
    When you think about what a money-maker that is compared to them hosting somebody's site, if they can't keep their own cash-cow "up" I can't help but wonder about the average little hosted guys.

Sorry for the rant...just checked after posting, the search was working again...

Choose the right product of a brand,that's it.
    SANYO is cool for home electronics,SONY for play station,PANASONIC for air-conditioner (these are just for example..,you have to test them yourself.)
    Each bran has its outstanding product and its crooked product.
    Personally,I think SONY is bad with digicam refer to my friends around here,always craked after a year. But it's gaming stuffs is pretty cool,though 70% in Japanese vesion.
    Everyone is free to let out an idea or opinion here,I suppose.
    So mind not.But I hope we have helped with OP's question than nagging around.