My Experiences with Elitehosts.com

Hi! Before you read my review of elitehosts.com, i would like to refer you to my previous post. despite my current hosting relationship with elitehosts.com, i believe i can offer a objective point of view, because i have nothing to lose, and nothing else to gain from doing a review on them. so take it anyway you will.

i'll have to admit; at first, i was skeptical of any host that would name themselves "elite", since it is one of those buzz words that's pretty popular. but with my impending eviction from my previous webhost, i was ready to try anything. it's been a good four months since i've had a small part of my website on elite hosts, and here are some of the pros and cons:

Pro:
    a) speedy support. unbelivably fast, even. here are the timestamps on my support e-mails:

2/8/2005 11:17pm: unable to remove folders using FTP
    2/8/2005 11:21pm: their response

they offered a solution, and even offered to remove the folder for me if i had trouble figuring it out.

4/1/2005 2:20pm: site down?
    4/1/2005 2:23pm: their response
    4/1/2005 2:27pm: my response
    4/1/2005 2:34pm: their response
    4/1/2005 2:38pm : my thanks

patient, step by step instructions and explaination on using nslookup to figure out what's going on.

6/16/2005 2:46am: Website Statistics
    6/16/2005 3:03am: Response

again, detailed explaination of what's going on.

The only other webhosting customer service i can compare to is 1and1.com and my previous webhost (with whom i had trouble with) ...

i'm not saying 1and1.com's customer service was bad. yes, you can call their support line ... but there are some things that are much easier cut/pasted than. our slight miscommunication with 1and1.com made the migration of our domains much harder than it had to be, and their customer support didn't really answer our questions.

let's not talk about my previous webhost.

b) custom administration software.

i've used ensim and cpanel, and i've found them both to be suitable for what i need to do. but to be honest, it takes me 30 seconds every time i log into cpanel to find the stats button and the database management button. their custom administration console is simplified, but powerful enough to do the same things cpanel lets me do. the online billing system i tried out was very detailed and precise.

c) price

i'm currently subscribed to the "Personal" package right now, and i'm satisfied with its features. my previous host was cheaper by $1/month, but it was also down a lot more. i check my e-mail regularly every 10 minutes or so, and an icon that tels me if the server's down. i have had no problems with their services thus far.

Cons:

a) lack of pre-installed scripts. most other hosting companies offer pre-installed scripts, or a package like fantastico. granted, fantastico goes hand in hand with cpanel, and they're not using it, but it wouldn't hurt to have a guestbook or counter or something people use regularly.

b) having to learn their admin interface. i think the custom gui is a double-edged sword. whereas most places use cpanl or ensim, i had to learn how to do things again with a new interface. thankfully, it's nowhere as confusing as 1and1's interface.

c) lack of reseller features. i know this is a pipe dream. in fact, only one other host has offered me reseller features with a plan i could afford (ie. budget plans), but being restricted to one domain name (out of the five non-profit ones i have) is a major factor for me, and i hesitate to move my other sites over.

that's all i can think of right now.

just as a quick summary, i am satisfied with my hosting at elitehosts.com for the first four months of my service. i highly recommend their speedy and helpful support system.

thanks for listening!

starlitsky great to see that you found the right host! What about their phone support ?

Cheers!

Originally posted by Northtrex
    starlitsky great to see that you found the right host! What about their phone support ?

Cheers!
    sorry, can't say much about that. i've never tried because i don't live in the same country as elitehosts ...

starlitsky, no problem. I just say that because a company who offer real good phone support is really rare. Most of the time clients are put on hold for 30 minutes or more or they need to leave a message. A real phone support departement is very expensive! This is why I asked the question. Personally I do not know any host who offer a real 24 hours phone support with a resonable waiting time!

Long life to Elitehosts!

1and1.com has phone support, and i've called it twice ... at 3-5am in the morning. i wouldn't want to point fingers and so on, but their customer support people have a very thick accent. they did put me on hold when they were looking up information, but they picked up almost right away. they were slightly patronizing when i asked them a question about something that was on their FAQ. they literally forced me to open my browser window, find the url, and read it back out to them to make sure i understood. it could be company policy though, so people won't go back and say that they weren't helpful.

starlitsky,

I understand, as for accent I just wonder why did you point that out? Is it important for you to speak only with native speaking Customer Support representative?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Originally posted by maxo
    starlitsky,

I understand, as for accent I just wonder why did you point that out? Is it important for you to speak only with native speaking Customer Support representative?
    sorry for the late (late late) reply!

no, it is not vital that i speak with a native english speaker. being a non-native english speaker myself, i'm often self-conscious about my own accent. at the same time, i also have trouble understanding thick accents, even the local accent! i was happy that i was able to speak with someone at that hour.

i can see now how my post may be considered negative towards 1and1.com's support, and i'd like to say that that was not my intention. my point is that 1and1.com has a 24 hour phone service with decent wait times and helpful staff ... perhaps overly helpful

hmmmm. I would really really appreciate it if you would kindly update us today about elitehosts.com

here's a new post about elitehosts.com.

it's been quite a while since i've had my hosting with elitehosts.com ... almost two years now, and i am still very satisfied with their service. i haven't had any major problems since the last time i posted (which was in june). there was a blip in march of this year, when a bug in cpanel caused one of my reseller domains to be redirected, but no data was lost, and not only was the domain was restored within the day i notified technical support, they also explained in detail what happened when i asked them.

their ticket system are still as responsive as ever. going through my e-mails right now, in march 2006, i e-mailed them about python and ruby support ... i got a reply the next day, even though it was in the general ticket section with low priority.

i was so impressed with their service that i recommended them to my manager for a large scale project we were working on. in september of 2006, i posted two support tickets to sales about the availability of dedicated servers and subversion hosting. although we were unable to reach an agreement, they replied with their usual timely responses and with pertinent information each time.

i wholeheartedly recommend elitehosts to people looking for hosting. it has been one of the best webhosts i have had the pleasure of working with

Good to see you find good hosting. I'll try them some other time, maybe.
    E-mail me at - karan [at] karan.mobi
    MSN - karan4 [at] gmail.com
    Yahoo! - karan265

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with us.

Thank you for the review. Elitehosts seems to make you really happy.

For anyone interested, I confirm that the domain of your email address on file is hosted at elitehosts.

Would like to say that I am still happy with elitehosts, with what, 4 years of faithful service. It has been more than a year since my last support ticket, which was a question about PHP max upload size, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've recommended them to my clients at work and they are happy with the stability and support as well.

thank you, elitehosts.

Four years and still reviewing. Sounds like you're a customer we'd all love to have! =)

Glad you're happy with them, and hopefully will continue to be.

Very glad to see you have been enjoying a wonderful service for 4+ years with them. They surely deserve appreciation. Keep us posted again after completing the 5th year.

Sound like a good company with really good support. Keep us updated
    Full Websites from 50

Nice find! I am still browsing for the right hosting company, thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Discreditable View Post
    Nice find! I am still browsing for the right hosting company, thanks for the advice!
    If you choose them, give your review after a couple of months. Some body who is searching for his best host may benefit from that like you.