Question Leave PC on all the time, good or bad?

I was wondering if leaving the PC on all the time is good or bad as opposed to turning it off daily before going to bed then turning it on after waking up? I've heard that it's not good for the hard disks if it's turned on/off often, on the other hand, leaving it on all the time.. doesn't it shorten the life too? I don't know if there is even a right answer to this.

How about LCD monitors? My university leaves their monitors on in standy mode when the offices close so I guess that's the wise thing to do?

Well, most servers run 24/7, right?

The only thing that you might regret about keeping your computer on is the electricity bill. The same can be said for monitors.
    - Matt

In my own personal experience in various network environments leaving the machines on or off doesn't have any long-term impact. So I'd say it depends on how reliable your power is. Lightning can be a real problem if you have power poles instead of underground lines.

If you do decide to turn your machine off, make sure to get a surge protector with an "off" switch. New machines will stay on unless you cut power on the surge protector or the power supply.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    So I'd say it depends on how reliable your power is.
    I wasn't thinking about that. Good one, CTG.
    - Matt

I have absolutely no problem keeping my machine on; the only reason I don't is because it's right beside my bed, and it's extremely noisy. As CTG said, if you have power poles instead of underground lines, lightning and even car accidents could be of concern.

Originally posted by Blankwire
    Well, most servers run 24/7, right?

The only thing that you might regret about keeping your computer on is the electricity bill. The same can be said for monitors.
    But servers are a bit different form ordinary PCs, right? I don't pay for electricity anyway I've also heard that it uses more power to turn on a computer so leaving it on all the time actually decreases the electricity bill? lol

I've always left my machines on and haven't had any bad luck with them. I've heard it's actually better to leave the system on so the hard drive heads dont crash against each other when powering down.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

Quote Originally Posted by ANewDay
    I've also heard that it uses more power to turn on a computer so leaving it on all the time actually decreases the electricity bill?
    I guess for that concept to work, you would have to turn on and off your computer xxx amounts of times, which might do more damage then you'd like? I'm sure electronics aren't too fond of constant application of electricity, then the kill switch, over and over again.

From an electrical point of view, I have never seen things "electrically" go bad from always having voltage going to them... The problems usually occur when voltage is applied and removed..

So in theory I am guessing that its safer to leave your computer always on, or always off

Not that this is a good example, but I will throw it in for basic useless knowledge.

MiniMag flashlights AA or AAA The bulbs are voltage sensitive, If you run one of them to less than 40% of battery power and then run them dry, and throw in brand new batteries, there is a VERY high chance that it will pop the bulb almost 5+/10 times

My only assumption from something like this is that the specific piece of electronics (the bulb in this case) become accustom to this amount of voltage over time, and drastic change can have harsh effects on the equpt.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

I rarely switch off my laptop and PC..

Laptop, goes off only when it runs out of battery...

The key point mentioned above is electricity, if you are having UPS and have surge protector, then there is no need to worry. Else you have to watch out for sudden surges in electricity!
    <<snipped>><<snipped>>
    why?

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I have absolutely no problem keeping my machine on; the only reason I don't is because it's right beside my bed, and it's extremely noisy. As CTG said, if you have power poles instead of underground lines, lightning and even car accidents could be of concern.
    Yepp same here mine is real noisy, However my laptop stays on 24/7.
    Regards

If you leave them on -
    • By default, your system, harddisk and monitor are configured to power down automatically after the specified period of time.
    • Everything breaks down through wear and tear, if it is not due to inferior quality or accident. For example, all things being equal, a system lifespan with an assumed usage of 5 hours daily may be say 5 years, but if run continuously, it may last only 2 years?
    • A report I read in a news supplement a while ago say something about the power consumption being substantial if most appliances are left on standby mode.

If you shut them down -
    • Parts may be subject to more frequent stress, some of which may not cope so well.
    • You may save on your power bill.
    • You may sleep better, as some had said.

Maybe, just do whatever you prefer and are happy with
    Regards.
    "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

I think it’s just personal choice; there are millions who leave their computers on 24/7 while there are millions who turn them off when they’re finished on them. For me it depends … I definitely switch it off before I go to bed, and also when I’m not in the house, although sometimes I’ll even switch it off when I’m not using it and know I won’t be for some time, while other times I’d put it on in the morning and do some work, then put it on standby and go and do something else – depends on my mood really

Good if you like it to be the warmest room in the house. I don't mind much.

My PC is permanently on, the HDD's arn't particuarly old, but they are wearing quickly and I'm gonna have some hardrive failure soon

But this is only due to overusage, and reformating too often when I used to run Windows. On the whole my hardware CPU wise is coping excellently, but then again it was more designed for office usage
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers