Site design fees - is this price to high?

I was wondering if I could get a few more opinions. I found a well known reliable designer in my area who will be making a new site design for my new business (a clothing business). The site will only have a very tiny amount of flash in the header and will be a very simple basic site design similar to the site shown below (nothing fancy like hostrocket, e.t.c.):

www.thecaribbeantradingco.com

The price I was quoted is $1,000 my site will also have that caribbean theme to it which I really like.

Does this sound within reason to you guys or is that too high? I'm only having one page designed (because of course all pages will use the same design) and I will also be adding all inside content as well. So only the basic raw empty site design is needed. How much do you guys usually pay for site designs?

Like the one you showed me I would say only $50.00 to $300.00 at most. Reason is it is a simple site which is not to "heavy" with work.

I would look else where to get a design if I was you.

I see, perhaps I should check around a bit more then. But the thing is, last year someone else very well known designed my web hosting site. I wanted to use him again but unfortunately he doesn;t do design work anymore so I have to find someone new. But even the old designer who designed my basic web hosting site charged almost $1,000

It seems that's the basic price. I don't know. I like this new designer. I am EXTREMELY picky. I'm talking extremely picky and it seems like they would be able to complete my site exactly as I want it. I don't know. I think $1,000 is a tad way too high for a basic design though.

EDIT: Even though the site design I showed you... mine would require a bit more work in the header and that site doesn't have a footer which I would want along with some flash in the footer/header. My site would be quite a bit more work than the site shown.

Another edit: What's funny is last year another designer quoted me a completely ridiculous price of $4,000 to do my basic web hosting design. I said no way. Crazy! That's when I used the other designer instead for under $1,000 and got the same design I wanted for a non-crazy price.
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-15-2005 at 08:57 PM.

$1,000 isn't that bad, if it's the right design and there's the right amount of work put into it. As with anything, it's entirely up to you if you think it's worth it. There are "going rates", but regardless of what the fee is, you are either going to personally think it was worth it or not. I've dropped more than double that to have a custom guitar built, for example, while I could have gotten several cheaper one's for that price, I wanted something special built from a guy that is famous for his work.

Some people probably think it's too much, but not to me. However, for a basic design, it's probably true that it's too much, but how much more will the designer do? I didn't look at the site/link to see what you have now, but maybe they'll work with you to change it. If not and you're not happy, I think you answered your own question. If you don't find someone that can do excellent work for a good price, post in the jobs offers forum and I'll hook you up.

Yes, the thing is that I am extremely picky. I am a huge perfectionist and know exactly what I want the site to look like e.t.c. and nothing else will do.

I guess what I really need to make sure of is that they will change the site design until it's the way I like it. Gulp

EDIT: I'll post in the job offers forum like you suggessted and get some more quotes. Thanks.

Another edit AGAIN: I must be braindead tonight. In my thread title I meant to type "too" not "to". People are going to think I'm illiterate
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-15-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Originally posted by Torith
    Like the one you showed me I would say only $50.00 to $300.00 at most.

That would be the WHT going rate.

You're forgetting everything is at least 50% cheaper at WHT because of the amount of n00bs trying to sell designs.

$1000 sounds about right. I doubt I would ever sell a single design if I charged those prices over the net, but only because people tend to be cheap on the net. Locally I have sold designs and code for more than 4x the time price on the net without problems.

People really undermine themselves only so they can sell something quick. A good local designer will carry a well thoughtout price tag.
    ∑∑ Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ∑∑
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

I used to do web site designs back in 94, 95 and 96. I had enough of that quick enough. Too many changes and too much extra time, which comes out to less money earned. No one can read a client's mind, and it's difficult to create what they have in their head if they can't properly convey it (it's not the fault of either party, just the way it is).

It's true, people have come to expect cheap prices on WHT and other forums. The fact is, if it takes a week to do a design, $1,000 isn't really that much. Of course, if it's only 6 or 8 hours work for one single nice page that you'll reuse across the site, that's decent pay for some people and some skilled people might do it for that price.

That is a reasonable offer especially if you know your going to be picky and this designer is going to offer enough revisions in order to satisfy you for $1000. Itís also nice to have someone local that you can work with. $1000 vs $50-300 Internet quickie I would defiantly recommend the local designer you already feel more comfortable with unless of course you are very short on money. Again $1000 is a reasonable price for a custom design with custom graphics.
    Area51.mn VPS, Dedicated & Colocated Servers.
    Area51 Computers Custom Servers & Gaming Systems. (Since 1998)
    NetAffect Email & Web Hosting Services. (Since 1996)
    Quality Systems & Service Since 1996

Thanks for the responses.

So that price is indeed about average for what I need afterall. Some of the designers who contacted me did not have very impressive portfolios.

The designer I'm considering had a very nice portfolio and I liked his clean style of designing sites so I think I'll just give it a go with him. I'll just really double check and make sure that he will work with me since I am a tad on the picky side so that the design will turn out right. But they said it could take 4 weeks before it's done because they are completing other design projects currently. Guess I'll have to wait, was hoping it could be done sooner though.

I just really need something simple, so I won't be a nightmare to work with

It is no different than anything else... much of it comes down to how you feel about the person doing the work...

do you feel comfortable with them?
    do they seem to "get" what you are looking for?
    do they bring more ideas and suggestions to the table?

The hardest challenge with web design is that the end user often doesn't know what they are looking at... from the outside, two cars may look identical, but upon closer inspection, what is the interior like, what is under the hood?

Is it a tables-layout or table-less with DIV's and CSS driven?
    Is there good separation of content and layout, allowing for easy changes?
    Are they using a lot of unnecessary, deprecated coding practices?
    Will it follow accessiblity standards? Good validating code?
    Is it developed for cross-browser and cross-platform?
    Are they just turning out your idea or are you having them develop and present a number of design concepts?

Price is all relative, and often paid too much attention... in the end, it is value for the money that you need to look for.

good luck

The thing with a design like that, is it could be done by a professional who does design for a living, or by a 13 year old who spent a lot of time on it.

The teenager would charge about $200 for it, while the professional would charge $1000 for it, even though he spent less time on it.

It's simply how web design works, so it depends how much experience this person has.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

IMO, if its just the sliced design, and no other programming then I would be looking at paying $200-$300, maybe a little more for XHTML compliancy.

If he's taking care of contact forms, adding content, or any other custom coding such as installing a cart then $1000 seems reasonable to me.

I would say it all depends on the content and graphics for the page you are getting designed. Of course if it is graphically packed then $1,000 is reasonable, if you have seen the designers work and are pleased with their results you will know what to expect. However you are asking for peoples opinions, which tells me you are not 100% happy with the work, or can't put a $1,000 price tag on it. Either way if you know they are capable I would go for it, rather than ending up with a half assed job.

You're forgetting everything is at least 50% cheaper at WHT because of the amount of n00bs trying to sell designs.
    - LOL, it's funny because it's true.
    Loading Deck
    Freelance web designer
    XHTML CSS web sites

I think people are getting confused with the term "site design". 'Round these parts that usually means a psd template but from another perspective a site design is the creation of the entire site, not a template.

I'd trust the local guy as he sounds like the real deal. I'll bet he focuses a lot more on understanding your business and your product than "being original" which works to your benifit. Websites should focus on the product/service being offered, not the designers portfolio.

Good luck!

I think I've had a change of heart and am sill looking for a reliable and experienced designer as this local designer I was going to go with says it will take two months to have the website completed. That is just way too long. I cannot wait that long for a simple design to be completed (basically just a template design, nothing else). They claim the mock up alone will take 2-3 weeks before they will show it to me.

This isn't going to work for me time wise. It will put me behind schedule. I think they have too many clients and a number of other projects they are working on.

think people are getting confused with the term "site design". 'Round these parts that usually means a psd template but from another perspective a site design is the creation of the entire site, not a template.
    Exactly. $1,000 is not bad at all (in my opinion) if you are sure they (whoever you go with) can make a design you will like as well as build the site (the html, pages, etc) and get you what you want. I know people who sell their designs for that much - just the design, no site work at all - and I consistently get $500+ for my designs (this is not a plug - I am not looking for any work right now).

In the end, you will have to decide what it's worth to you (as was also mentioned here). One thing to consider as well -- if someone quotes you a price that you think is too high, it's your opinion that it's too high. They may easily sell their work for that much or more and there's nothing to say that the price is fair and you are simply looking for something cheaper. It's funny to see people scoff at some prices (not talking about you) as if there is a mark to compare to that everyone agrees on - there aren't really standards for this work anywhere. And as was mentioned before, WHT is in no way the place to get a feel for what "fair" pricing is. We are all a bit jaded here
    Something witty here...

First things first: what do you really want?
    Because if you want someone to simply "photoshopy" your own idea, then what you need is a smart kid who knows his way around the (software) tools and will materialize what you have in mind. This will probably cost you under $100.

On the other hand, if you want a designer, that's about the sum you should be expecting to pay for such a job.
    Let's not forget a designer is someone who has years of art school, a proper art & design background and is someone who will work with you to accomplish your communicational goals, be the end product a web site or not.

A real designer won't simply transfer to the website the picture you have in your mind. The picture you have in your mind is surely biased by your past experience in your field of expertise, by your own taste, your cultural background, etc. A real designer is trained not to give-in to preconceptions and will always try to find the very best possible solution for your communication problem.
    During the course of a project, both the client and the designer "grow" with the process, researching and analyzing the problem and reaching conclusions. There's a lot of work involved in any design project. A couple of months ago, just for me to write down a proper proposal for a branding project, I had to go through a whole week of research.

It all comes down to this: you have to ask yourself wether you want a seamstress to provide you with a patchwork job, or a proper taylor who will provide you with a perfect fit.

Just one more thing: try to keep your options open... If you are looking for inspiration in that website you provided the link for, then I think you could try something better...

Cheers,

I agree that some prices aren't bad, but I've also come across a lot of design sites, where the price should NOT be as high as it is.

I agree with carlos, if you're hiring a designer, you're doing it for the sake of getting some ideas for the job, code is something kids do now, you dont have much to do, software handle that part themselves.

over the years of my experiene with the internet and web, i would rate not only 1% of the websites on the internet are professionally developed.

Designers (or so called designers) are lowering the dignity of the profession by just reducing prices for selling crap. I believe $ 1000 is a pretty reasonable price for the job, and by any means you cannot have a good site designed in less than 15 - 20 days.

too high

Yes that is too high. You can find designers who will make it for your for 150 - 200 $

To put this into perspective, CEONex charges $5k-$25k+. PixelBrick, their cheaper alternative, charges $1k-$5k.

Good designers will charge in the $1k range, and if you find one whose style you like, it can be entirely worth it.

I've found that most budget designers [$500 and under] just don't produce the quality I like. Anyone feel free to disprove me, but most good designers will charge appropriately.

Also, saying that code is something kids know, is not entirely true. Anyone can slice a layout in Photoshop, but not a whole lot code well.